Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst 123456714 ... LastLast

Thread: Hamilton 5x World Champion ?

PowerPoster

Re: Hamilton 5x World Champion ?

Quote Originally Posted by techgnome View Post
    The problem with Haas seems to be their aero kit... Steiner said as much afterwards... when they are the only ones on the track, or in relatively clean air, such as during practice or qualifying, they do good, which is why they qualify fairly high on the grid... but once they pack up, they encounter dirty air and the advantages are lost. At least they didn't crash into each other.

-tg
    That may be very true but if that's the case then do something about it. I'm not 100% sold on Steiner. After the summer break most team came back with updated cars. I was was watching some of the practices where they were talking about all the different updates but never heard HAAS mentioned once. Maybe I missed it, I didn't watch all of it. To me the team seems very stagnant with no real energy or enthusiasm.

Quote Originally Posted by OptionBase1 View Post
    I was very impressed with Albon in the second half of the race. At the beginning he was mired back around 13th the whole time, and I was worried that he might make Red Bull second guess their driver swap decision, since Gasly was running well ahead of him for the first half. But Albon put on a nice show in the end, making several passes that we all know Gasly would not have made were he still in that same seat.

Very disappointed for Max. Even though there are several (7?) races left, pretty much everything seems locked up as far as the driver's championship, and the order of the top 3 teams for the team championship. There would have to be some double retirements for Mercedes and/or Ferrari in order to shake up the team championship standings.
    yeah, great Race from Albon
    I was supprised that Vettel can also be a Teamplayer
    to hunt a species to extinction is not logical !
    since 2010 the number of Tigers are rising again in 2016 - 3900 were counted. with Baby Callas it's 3901, my wife and I had 2-3 months the privilege of raising a Baby Tiger.

what a terrible Quali. in Monza !!

I wonder if there is going to be any punishment for driving that slow around the Track.
    I would turn the Grid around... Max Verstappen in Pole etc...
    since 2010 the number of Tigers are rising again in 2016 - 3900 were counted. with Baby Callas it's 3901, my wife and I had 2-3 months the privilege of raising a Baby Tiger.

I really enjoyed this race in Monza.
    Nice win for Leclerc

PowerPoster

Yeah Leclerc really impressed me. I thought once Hamilton was in DRS range that he would pass Leclerc. A very exciting race. Poor Vettel just couldn't keep it together. I'll be interested to see what happens when they go to tracks where straight line speed doesn't play sure an important role. If Leclerc can continue to get on the podium at those tracks then Ferrari will have a really special driver for the future. Albon did OK but nothing special. It's only been two races in the new car so I'd say the jury is still out on his future.

PowerPoster

Singapore, meh!!! If you got to be 2 seconds faster a lap in order to pass then the top six are basically follow the leader. No chance of on track passing among them. Not as bad as Monaco but very little excitement. I was able to nap nicely.

Turned out I was glad I had forgotten about it ... found it on the DVR .... was able to skip through the boring bits, which was most of it... Still, I thought that Vettel had a pretty good day.

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

The race in Brazil was not boring. Vettel messed up again. Honda has upped their power level, and that combined with Red Bull's pit work and strategy gave Max a chance. Gasly had a good race and managed to hold off Hamilton for 2nd.
    Last edited by jdc2000; Nov 18th, 2019 at 01:15 PM.

There was a moment there when I though all of the leaders were going to take themselves out. For one moment, Sianz had a chance at taking the checkered. A lot of the first half was a bit of a drag, but the last part, it did get interesting, then Bottas's engine bewup... then things got interesting. And as the saying goes, yellow breeds yellow.
    Merc could have had the chance, but their strat of "What ever RB does, we're going to do the opposite" didn't pan out.

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

PowerPoster

I'm I the only one who is starting to think Vettel will be gone from Ferrari after his contract expires in 2020? the Vettel/Leclerc team doesn't seem to be working. Vettel is still one of the best but Leclerc seems to have more potential.

Quote Originally Posted by wes4dbt View Post
    I'm I the only one who is starting to think Vettel will be gone from Ferrari after his contract expires in 2020? the Vettel/Leclerc team doesn't seem to be working. Vettel is still one of the best but Leclerc seems to have more potential.
    I don't think we will see Vettel in a Ferrari 2020, that must be the dummest thing
    he has ever done

PowerPoster

I was thinking that Ferrari would not resign him, not that he would leave by choice. But he might leave by choice if Ferrari wants him to stay just to help Leclerc win a championship.

Vettel has had a few similar moments over the years (including the big one in Turkey with Webber), so it isn't too surprising it happened, but as he is getting older and losing some of his speed/mindset it isn't looking good. Luckily for him there aren't many decent replacements, so Ferrari may well want to keep him for a while, and even if they don't he will still have options elsewhere.

It was surprising to see Hamilton make a mistake of a similar style too (albeit on a much smaller scale, and at least partly due to the surprise of how fast Red Bull were), but it was good to see him quickly take responsibility for it (saving stewards time, and letting the other guy relax). The punishment pushed Lewis down a few places, so Sainz got promoted to third, and my team McLaren got a few more points... which means they will finish fourth in the championship, after a few bad years

Quote Originally Posted by si_the_geek View Post
    Vettel has had a few similar moments over the years (including the big one in Turkey with Webber), so it isn't too surprising it happened, but as he is getting older and losing some of his speed/mindset it isn't looking good. Luckily for him there aren't many decent replacements, so Ferrari may well want to keep him for a while, and even if they don't he will still have options elsewhere.

It was surprising to see Hamilton make a mistake of a similar style too (albeit on a much smaller scale, and at least partly due to the surprise of how fast Red Bull were), but it was good to see him quickly take responsibility for it (saving stewards time, and letting the other guy relax). The punishment pushed Lewis down a few places, so Sainz got promoted to third, and my team McLaren got a few more points... which means they will finish fourth in the championship, after a few bad years
    Hi Si

just seen the Birthday list from Today, and your one of them

so Happy Birthday

Thanks

It's a shame there's no race today, but I'll find other ways to entertain myself!

well soon the season 2020 will start, and Ferrari is allready in the news
    ... did they cheat? with there Fullsystem... I mean Red Bull, Mercedes...etc.. did find
    it strange how fast they were on the straight in the last season.

well I think the did something !

It is a bit concerning... after an extensive FIA investigation the 2019 Ferrari power unit "could be considered as not operating within the limits of the FIA regulations at all times.". Ferrari have denied wrongdoing, and the FIA couldn't prove it well enough so have backed off. It all implies that there is some trickery which only operates under certain conditions that the FIA couldn't determine/replicate.

However, the FIA has issued various rule clarifications and "will improve the monitoring of all Formula 1 Power Units for forthcoming championship seasons", and as punishment Ferrari will be "helping the FIA in its research on carbon emissions and sustainable fuels"

At least one analyst thinks that Ferrari have lost power compared to last year, so it seems to be only last year (when they didn't win) that is affected, and this year should be "clean".

There isn't long to the first race of the season, and I'm sure we'll get a clearer view then - of this, and lots of the good stuff this season will give us

It is a bit concerning... after an extensive FIA investigation the 2019 Ferrari power unit "could be considered as not operating within the limits of the FIA regulations at all times.". Ferrari have denied wrongdoing, and the FIA couldn't prove it well enough so have backed off. It all implies that there is some trickery which only operates under certain conditions that the FIA couldn't determine/replicate.

However, the FIA has issued various rule clarifications and "will improve the monitoring of all Formula 1 Power Units for forthcoming championship seasons", and as punishment Ferrari will be "helping the FIA in its research on carbon emissions and sustainable fuels"

At least one analyst thinks that Ferrari have lost power compared to last year, so it seems to be only last year (when they didn't win) that is affected, and this year should be "clean".

There isn't long to the first race of the season, and I'm sure we'll get a clearer view then - of this, and lots of the good stuff this season will give us
    Sounds like maybe they had the Schrodinger manifold installed.

-tg

Sounds to me like they collaborated with Volkswagen.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

PowerPoster

I hope Ferrari keeps a power advantage, it's the only thing that made them competitive with Mercedes. I'm sick of the same person/team just running away with the championship every year. I can't remember when the last 3 or 4 races of the year really meant anything except winning a race. Probably was when Rosberg won the championship. Looking forward to the first race of the year, I just hope it's not a repeat of the last six years.

Superbly Moderated NeedSomeAnswers's Avatar

I hope Ferrari keeps a power advantage, it's the only thing that made them competitive with Mercedes.
    It would be nice to see it more competition, i am a Hamilton fan to be honest i think he is a terrific racer but if Ferrari and Red Bull at least are close it makes for better races.

I just hope it's not a repeat of the last six years.
    Its been the last 2 years that have really been uncompetitive as Bottas has been no where near him in the same car.

I just hope they go through with these regulation changes they keep talking about, it would be nice to see the smaller teams actually be able to compete a bit more.
    Please Mark your Thread "Resolved", if the query is solved & Rate those who have helped you

PowerPoster

Yeah it's gets really annoying for me because I'm not a Hamilton fan, don't know why, just not. But I do think he's a great driver, like to see what would happen with him and Max in the same cars. I also have a lot of hope for Leclerc, thought for his first year in the Ferrari he was impressive. I think a good rule would be the driver gets a one spot grid penalty for each championship they have won. Would make things much more interesting. OOOR another brilliant idea would be to have one driver from each team drive the course Clockwise and the one driver from each team drive the course Counter Clockwise. Instant excitement!!!!

Superbly Moderated NeedSomeAnswers's Avatar

I think a good rule would be the driver gets a one spot grid penalty for each championship they have won. Would make things much more interesting.
    I dont understand why anyone wants something like this surely the fix is simple, make it so the teams can properly compete on money terms. There will still be better and worse teams but it would be closer and you would get less predictability in results.

OOOR another brilliant idea would be to have one driver from each team drive the course Clockwise and the one driver from each team drive the course Counter Clockwise. Instant excitement!!!!
    Death Race !!!!
    Please Mark your Thread "Resolved", if the query is solved & Rate those who have helped you

Yeah it's gets really annoying for me because I'm not a Hamilton fan, don't know why, just not. But I do think he's a great driver, like to see what would happen with him and Max in the same cars. I also have a lot of hope for Leclerc, thought for his first year in the Ferrari he was impressive. I think a good rule would be the driver gets a one spot grid penalty for each championship they have won. Would make things much more interesting. OOOR another brilliant idea would be to have one driver from each team drive the course Clockwise and the one driver from each team drive the course Counter Clockwise. Instant excitement!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by NeedSomeAnswers View Post
    I dont understand why anyone wants something like this surely the fix is simple, make it so the teams can properly compete on money terms. There will still be better and worse teams but it would be closer and you would get less predictability in results.

Death Race !!!!
    naaaaaah....

HERE's what you do.... everyone qualis in their team car... then, 30 minutes before lights out, all the car number are put into a hat, and each driver, in grid order, picks a number - an that's the car they have to drive for the race. That would truly show if it's the river, the car, or the combination, that wins races.... put Hamilton into a (what used to be) Force India car and see what happens... Then again... Perez in a Merc??? Could he handle that much power? O.O

-tg

Quote Originally Posted by techgnome View Post
    naaaaaah....

HERE's what you do.... everyone qualis in their team car... then, 30 minutes before lights out, all the car number are put into a hat, and each driver, in grid order, picks a number - an that's the car they have to drive for the race. That would truly show if it's the river, the car, or the combination, that wins races.... put Hamilton into a (what used to be) Force India car and see what happens... Then again... Perez in a Merc??? Could he handle that much power? O.O

-tg
    And add one yugo into the mix.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy Hiker View Post
    And add one yugo into the mix.
    Driven by the Stig.

-tg

Oh dear, it looks like this season might be shorter than most...

Australia has been cancelled (inspired by an infected team member)
    Bahrain/Vietnam/China are "postponed", and there will be attempts to fit them in later in the season
    ...and currently: "it is expected the F1 season can begin at the end of May."

While it is obviously disappointing to miss out for a while, peoples health matters more, and I hope everyone will be OK.

PowerPoster

Crap!!!! Now this is getting serious. Sunday is usually my day of rest so I fix a late breakfast, a large one. Kick back in my recliner, watch racing/football/golf and couch potato out. With all the sports being canceled I'm gonna have to get creative. Maybe they will show reruns, I could work with that for a few months, my memory is shot anyway. With no sporting events you got to wonder what is ESPN going to be doing?????

I was looking forward to watch the Australia GP
    Wes had a good Idea and I just watch a rerun of the World Cup game
    Brasil vs. Germany where we hammerd them 7:1

was fun to watch, I wonder if the EM soccer will take place this year?

Would be very strange if those big events will take place this year.
    Our national olympic comity has forbidden all sport activities, being it competition or training!
    So at least 3 weeks of no real training, beside what individuals can do at home.

I can image no EC soccer for 2020, no Olympic games this year

Lots of things have been postponed (and should be), but strangely the Olympics don't seem to have been yet, even tho that is arguably the most important thing to postpone due to the global nature and high number of competitors.

Well at least there is some good news on the Formula 1 front during this period...

The teams are temporarily switching their rapid high-tech manufacturing skills/equipment over to making equipment like ventilators for the UK health service: https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/a...9TpI6MRRt.html

As for the rest of us, the official F1 website is showing various race replays, and more importantly:
    starting tomorrow there is an E-Sports version of F1, including some of the actual drivers: https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/a...j1IDMeiOi.html
    The Virtual Bahrain Grand Prix is "from 8:00pm (GMT) on Sunday March 22".

just seen the News in Germany
    and there is talk about Vettel going to Mercedes

now that is going to be an intresting pair.. Hamilton and Vettel...

PowerPoster

That would be interesting. Last year might have humbled Vettel enough that he could handle being Hamilton's wing man. But it doesn't sound like a great match. I guess with no racing, you got to find something to talk about. Let's start those engines, I don't care if there's no fans but I imagine that would be a tremendous lost of revenue for those venues.

I don't think Vettel and Hamilton in the same team would be good for either of them, nor for the team... in recent years Lewis has been far more on-form than Seb (and is likely to stay that way, especially in "his" team), and Seb is the kind of person who would get angry and spiteful when he becomes second best in the team. They would both end up feeling bad in different ways, and the team would need to put in lots of effort.

Seb would be better off finding another team that is good at the time (which is getting harder with various drivers contracts being signed already), or just calling it a day. As he has been fading a bit over the last few years, I suspect he isn't as keen on sticking around - especially if there isn't a "good" team available for him.

Let's start those engines, I don't care if there's no fans but I imagine that would be a tremendous lost of revenue for those venues.
    They are getting close to having things ready to go without the fans present - it is basically about governments agreeing to races (with each team isolated and tested) in their countries now.

I don't know what will happen in terms of funding the venues, but I'm hopeful that the sport itself (and/or governments etc) will step in to help financially where needed.

I don't think Vettel and Hamilton in the same team would be good for either of them, nor for the team...
    OTOH, i have fond memories of Alain Prost vs. Ayrton Senna......
    or Nigel Mansell vs. Nelson Piquet.....
    Last edited by Zvoni; May 27th, 2020 at 04:03 AM.
    Last edited by Zvoni; Tomorrow at 31:69 PM.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

One System to rule them all, One Code to find them,
    One IDE to bring them all, and to the Framework bind them,
    in the Land of Redmond, where the Windows lie
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    People call me crazy because i'm jumping out of perfectly fine airplanes.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Code is like a joke: If you have to explain it, it's bad

Those were before I started watching F1, but I have seen several videos about them... just like with the 2007 battle of Hamilton (in his first year) against Alonso (who had won the previous 2 championships), those pairings were good to see because the drivers were at a similar level and both on top form.

Unfortunately I don't think Seb can bring himself back to his best, and even if he could I don't think he'd be as good as Hamilton is these days... I think if they were together then Seb would be likely to do the kind of team-sabotage that Alonso did (eg: blocking Hamilton in the pits for so long that he couldn't compete in qualifying).

It would be nice to have that kind of battle again, but I think for a while the battles will be primarily between drivers of different teams.

PowerPoster

I'd like to see a real championship battle or at least a different champion. What's it been 4yrs in a row??? Since Rosberg. And a Mercedes driver has been the champion 6 or 7 yrs in a row.

Yeah, but if you remember: When M. Schumacher changed to Ferrari, he was the driving force behind Ferrari to produce a competitive car, and when they achieved that, History was written.
    So, in that case, i agree, that Hamilton is probably the best driver, currently, who can give the correct feedback to the team.
    I remember a quote of Nicki Lauda regarding Schumacher (at that time): "Michael Schumacher is the driver with the shortest wire between ass and brain" (Literally translated from german language)
    Last edited by Zvoni; Tomorrow at 31:69 PM.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

One System to rule them all, One Code to find them,
    One IDE to bring them all, and to the Framework bind them,
    in the Land of Redmond, where the Windows lie
    People call me crazy because i'm jumping out of perfectly fine airplanes.
    Code is like a joke: If you have to explain it, it's bad

Bad news Today, and really sad... Williams is up for Sale
    what great drivers the had..Prost,Hill,Villeneuve and many more

it's about time that those engines are running, and some money starts
    to come in for the Team's

PowerPoster

Considering it cost @ 285 Million per team a year for 21 races (10 team= 2.85Billion), I'm amazed anyone can afford it. With no money coming in, I wonder if the FIA might help. These teams have made many of them very rich.

Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst 123456714 ... LastLast