Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 714151617

Thread: Hamilton 5x World Champion ?

PowerPoster

Re: Hamilton 5x World Champion ?

To bad about Sainz. He'll probably be back by the next race.

Was a little surprised how far back Mercedes qualified. Probably wont be competitive for the race win.

PowerPoster

Bearman's drive was pretty much the only thing exciting to watch today, outside of Magnussen slowing down 1/3 of the field to build the gap for Hulkenberg to be able to pit and retain his position.

Perez is looking really solid so far. Honestly, if he can be as consistent as he has been so far for the rest of the season, then Red Bull should keep him on another year for sure.

PowerPoster

That was pretty cool of Mag to pull that off. Did you notice that after Hulk pitted Mag was able to gap the cars behind him. That gives me a little hope for HAAS, just a little. lol

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by wes4dbt View Post
    That was pretty cool of Mag to pull that off. Did you notice that after Hulk pitted Mag was able to gap the cars behind him. That gives me a little hope for HAAS, just a little. lol
    Yeah, he gassed it once Hulk pitted.

Haas seems best poised to score points whenever one of the top 5 teams has an issue. Outside of that, though, it seems like it is:

Red Bull - Clear #1
    Ferarri - Fairly clear #2
    Mercedes/McLaren/Fernando Alonso - fairly close for 3/4/4.5

Small gap

Lance Stroll - 5

Huge gap

Haas/Williams - close for 6/7
    Alpine/RB/The cool looking green car team formerly known as Alfa Romeo - close for 8/9/10

So, 2024 seems like a rehash of 2023. Barring unforeseen circumstances, the championship will be Max/Red Bull, but there will be some good fighting for places 3-9 in the driver's championship, and places 2, 3, 4, and maybe 5 in the constructor's championship, and then maybe some good fighting amongst the bottom 10 drivers and the bottom 5 teams for 11tth and 12th place driver, and 6th and 7th place constructor.
    Last edited by OptionBase1; Mar 11th, 2024 at 09:26 PM.

I don't follow racing, but I've always found this thread pretty interesting. So, here's a question for you: What do you get for being the 11th or 12th place driver or 6th or 7th place constructor? Being bottom of the heap in most leagues seems to give you some bonus (such as a higher draft choice) going into the next year. Is there anything like that in racing?
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy Hiker View Post
    I don't follow racing, but I've always found this thread pretty interesting. So, here's a question for you: What do you get for being the 11th or 12th place driver or 6th or 7th place constructor? Being bottom of the heap in most leagues seems to give you some bonus (such as a higher draft choice) going into the next year. Is there anything like that in racing?
    11th or 12th place driver - bragging rights that they weren't the 13th+ place driver. Best of the rest of the rest.

For the constructor's championship, the final season payouts are determined by position. Last year there was something like 12 million dollars on the line for a team that finished something like 7th instead of 8th.

Basically, for us fans, tracking the low rankings like that is looking for at least something to stay interested in the races.

PowerPoster

Yeah, here are the pay outs https://us.motorsport.com/f1/news/f1...rned/10553552/

Also, a lot of the time this is where you get a chance to show your skills and maybe get to chance to drive for one of the top teams. A low team may have ties to one of the top, I believe HAAS has ties to Ferrari.

Definitely no "bonus" for finishing last.

Here's how I see it playing out - with all the action that will be happening in the upcoming silly season, the first half of this season will see drivers playing it safe, making sure to not take themselves out. Then in the back half, they start getting aggressive as they try to shine up their skills and resume to land a seat for 2025 ... We already know where Max and Lewis are going to land ... with Lewis heading to Ferrari, then someone there is out, plus who is going to take Lewis's spot? Oct, Nov, Dec this year is going to be interesting with a number of seats changing.

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

PowerPoster

I could see Max to Mercedes if things go South at Red Bull (Helmut Marko or Christian Horner or both leaving the team).

Alonso to Mercedes would be a good stop-gap for Mercedes if they don't have a long-term preferred driver ready to do.

Carlos Sainz to Mercedes would be good for Mercedes for the same reasons as Alonso, although he's not as talented as Alonso.

If Red Bull drops Perez, he would also be good for Mercedes for the same reasons as Alonso or Sainz, a year (maybe 2?) of stability in their second car.

Lando to Mercedes would be a good move for Lando and Mercedes, but he just signed a lengthy extension at McLaren.

Oscar Piastri to Mercedes would be a good move in the short and long term for Mercedes, no idea of his current contract situation.

Outside of those drivers, I can't think of any current F1 driver on another team who has outperformed their car to the point of showing that they deserve a Mercedes seat.

So it looks like hte grid on Sunday will be only 19 deep as Albon wrecked his ride and they're giving Sargeant's ride to him. Sucks to be Logan, but them's the breaks I guess. I haven't seen the replay yet (will get to it when I get off work later). Just caught the headline and the tl;dr of the results

-=tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by techgnome View Post
    So it looks like hte grid on Sunday will be only 19 deep as Albon wrecked his ride and they're giving Sargeant's ride to him. Sucks to be Logan, but them's the breaks I guess. I haven't seen the replay yet (will get to it when I get off work later). Just caught the headline and the tl;dr of the results

-=tg
    I saw that too. Albon is clearly the better driver than Logan, but it still sucks for Logan.

Reminder for everyone that the race is late Saturday night / early Sunday morning (depending on your time zone).

Quote Originally Posted by OptionBase1 View Post
    I saw that too. Albon is clearly the better driver than Logan, but it still sucks for Logan.

Reminder for everyone that the race is late Saturday night / early Sunday morning (depending on your time zone).
    Yeah it's 1am Sunday here east coast US... oh... no... midnight... glad I checked on that...

-tg

PowerPoster

I guess F1 is different than Nascar. They have a backup car that can be ready fairly quickly.

I rarely watch the race live, always record them. The cool thing about F1 is for some reason they are usually commercial free.

PowerPoster

I guess F1 is different than Nascar. They have a backup car that can be ready fairly quickly.

I rarely watch the race live, always record them. The cool thing about F1 is for some reason they are usually commercial free.
    I think it is normal for F1 teams to bring 3 cars to each race. I didn't see an explanation as to why Williams only brought 2. I would guess cost of transporting an extra car to Australia may have been a factor.

The cool thing about F1 is for some reason they are usually commercial free.
    Unless you count the cars themselves.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy Hiker View Post
    Unless you count the cars themselves.
    Not really a commercial. But there is lots of advertising.

I'd say NASCAR is even worse. They're rolling billboards. It's funny when they interview the drivers, "Yeah, my Exxon, Interstate,Shell, Pennzoil, Coca Cola, Home Depot car was really fast today"

PowerPoster

not really a commercial. But there is lots of advertising.

I'd say nascar is even worse. They're rolling billboards. It's funny when they interview the drivers, "yeah, my exxon, interstate,shell, pennzoil, coca cola, home depot car was as fast as xfinity 10g today..."
    fyp.

PowerPoster

That's funny

PowerPoster

Well, that race certainly was interesting. I guess Max needs a DNF once in a while to spice things up.

The ending was sure scary. The FIA needs to look at how they handle a last lap incident like that. There should have been at minimum an immediate VSC and 1000 yellow flags waving ahead of George's tipped over car. The first few cars on scene seemed ill prepared for what they were encountering.

PowerPoster

Yeah, it was nice to see that the Red Bull car isn't 100% bulletproof. It was starting to fill that way.

Sainz did an excellent job. Glad for him, he's had some hard knocks this year. Mercedes was off, so was Perez. Norris and Piastri look good. And hey because of the carnage HAAS got 9th and 10th. Life is good. lol

Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 714151617