Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst ... 45678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Hamilton 5x World Champion ?

Re: Hamilton 5x World Champion ?

Quote Originally Posted by si_the_geek View Post
    - and as you are much more aware of what happened than me, you are entitled to your opinion.
    I wish we could get that standard in politics. Awareness doesn't seem to be a prerequisite.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

PowerPoster

Well, looks like the top brass at Red Bull needed to knock Gasly down a notch to quell the "re-swap Gasly and Albon" crowd. Give him a crappy setup for qualifying and let him get eliminated in Q1.

Kidding, of course. I hope he can pass a few cars tomorrow and be in contention for points.

Vettel being out-qualified by Kimi is wonderful on so many levels.

Quote Originally Posted by OptionBase1 View Post

Vettel being out-qualified by Kimi is wonderful on so many levels.
    I think all that Vettel is worried about is....will I look Fat in Pink.. or .... will I look pretty in Pink...

I really am disappointed about his perfomance
    Last edited by ChrisE; Nov 17th, 2020 at 01:04 AM.
    to hunt a species to extinction is not logical !
    since 2010 the number of Tigers are rising again in 2016 - 3900 were counted. with Baby Callas it's 3901, my wife and I had 2-3 months the privilege of raising a Baby Tiger.

PowerPoster

Not even 5 turns of green flag racing, two major crashes, a safety car, and now a red flag. At least 6 cars out, likely going to be 7, since I think Grosjean must have gotten some rear end damage.

Crazy stuff.

Edit: After seeing more replays, Grosjean wasn't really a part of the second wreck.
    Last edited by OptionBase1; Sep 13th, 2020 at 08:51 AM.

PowerPoster

Another safety car! Yikes!

Edit: Red Flag #2! Chaos!!!
    Last edited by OptionBase1; Sep 13th, 2020 at 09:52 AM.

PowerPoster

Bummer that Daniel Ricciardo couldn't maintain a podium position, but I'm happy that Albon was able to get his first podium.

Man I wish Russel would have had enough motor to get around Vettel for the last points place. He probably won't get a better chance for the rest of the year to score points.

PowerPoster

If Lewis were a team all by himself he would be leading the constructor's championship by 17 points.

Bummer for Gasly that he got caught up in Max's massive mechanical issues on the initial start.

Yeah, that was a crazy race today... nearly half of the field taken out before lap 10.
    For about 2 seconds on lap1 there I thought Botas was going to be able to get away and actualy lead for a while.... but nope...

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

I think that was the most impressive crash-fest for at least a decade!

It's one of those races where you expect the minor players like Russell to do well (and that would have been great), but it didn't quite happen... except for Ferrari, who have managed to become minor players for their 1000th race

PowerPoster

Think Ferrari might paint their cars with camo the rest of the year, in hopes that no one will see them. lol

What an amazing lose of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by wes4dbt View Post
    Think Ferrari might paint their cars with camo the rest of the year, in hopes that no one will see them. lol

What an amazing lose of performance.
    the diffrent color might save a few gramms in weight, should be faster on the straight then
    since 2010 the number of Tigers are rising again in 2016 - 3900 were counted. with Baby Callas it's 3901, my wife and I had 2-3 months the privilege of raising a Baby Tiger.

PowerPoster

My hopes for the 2021 season:

The driver in Red Bull seat #2 (whoever it ends up being) is highly competitive each and every race.

Max gets at least 3 wins and is at least in the hunt for the driver championship down the stretch.

Hamilton is back for Mercedes.

Ferrari returns to being consistently podium-ish competitive.

The midpack stays as competitive and exciting as it is this year.

The new drivers at Haas make a positive difference.

Williams is more competitive under its new leadership.

Alonso does well in his return.

Perez gets a seat.

Is that asking a lot?

PowerPoster

Also, Albon may be the nicest guy in the world, but this is top-top-top level racing. If there's a seat open at Former-Rosso, he'd probably do ok back there. Otherwise, I don't see a seat for him anywhere next year. It would be completely insane for Red Bull to bring him back.

My hopes for the 2021 season:
    Is that asking a lot?
    Most of them are likely, especially as the rules are basically staying the same (which should help Red Bull and Ferrari catch up).

The least likely are Alonso (probably a bit too old now) and the Red Bull #2, as depends who it is and there are no obviously good choices - Perez is consistent but not a comparable speed to Max.

Also, Albon may be the nicest guy in the world, but this is top-top-top level racing. If there's a seat open at Former-Rosso, he'd probably do ok back there. Otherwise, I don't see a seat for him anywhere next year. It would be completely insane for Red Bull to bring him back.
    He has had good races, but far too many problems lately. I agree that he probably needs to drop back to a lower level team, it might be enough for him to build himself up again.

PowerPoster

A couple minutes in to qualifying and this is absolutely insane. I love it!

PowerPoster

Based on the qualifying order and chance for more rain, I think it is safe to say that the race tomorrow is guaranteed to be an exciting and action packed one.

It certainly does hold a lot of promise - and in addition to the rain and start positions, there is the issue of the track surface being new and slippery in the dry (so even if things are going well, anyone is capable of screwing it up without warning).

I have a feeling that I should avoid making any predictions other than: it is likely be chaotic.

PowerPoster

Great race. Hamilton lapping Bottas was awesome. I guess maybe it is more than just the car, eh?

Albon blew whatever thread of a chance he had left to keep his seat for next year. I hope Perez gets that seat. I also hope Nico H. gets a seat somewhere, but I'm not sure what seats aren't spoken for. I guess the Haas lineup hasn't been officially announced.

Once again, Mercedes strategy was A++, and Red Bull was behind the curve. Nice to see Vettel back on the podium, hopefully he will be back there more often next year.

All in all, a fantastic race.

yeah my Vote,turkish gp is best Race of the Year

Hamilton was great, I think he will crack the 8th Title also

I was surprised there weren't more yellow flags. I also expected Hamilton to just "get the car home" in 6th w/o really trying to risk it, so it was good to see the strategy play out the way it did. Who would have thought a one stopper to go from full wets to inters would win the race? I think the lack of rubber on the track really threw a lot of the drivers, it wasn't something any of them had ever really experienced before.
    As for Haas - no, it hasn't been officially announced, but the expected line up is to be Schumacher along side Mazepin or Ilott... Supposedly the announcement will come at Portugal or shortly thereafter. Guess we'll just have to wait and see.

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

Shouldn't the title of this thread be changed from 5x to 8x?

PowerPoster

I don't see any reason that Hamilton wont be champion again next year. With the major car change in 2022 I wouldn't think there would be any significant amount of time and money spent on new R & D for the current car. So, Mercedes will have the best car by far again and it will be a "rinse and repeat" of the last 7 years.

Re: Hamilton 5x World Champion ? now for the 8th Title ?

Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy Hiker View Post
    Shouldn't the title of this thread be changed from 5x to 8x?
    changed the Titel, I'm pretty sure the 8th Title is gonna happen.

PowerPoster

Re: Hamilton 8x World Champion ?

It sounds like the Haas lineup is set with Mick Schumacher and another F2 driver. I wish them both well. I hope Haas can get their stuff together and at least be more in contention for points paying positions regularly.

I can't fathom Hamilton leaving Mercedes. That leaves Albon's seat at Red Bull and Kvyat's seat at Alpha Tauri as being up in the air. Albon has basically said he doesn't want to go back to AT, and I honestly can't see RB keeping him in a spot where they are wasting a podium competitive car on someone who can't get it done.

That being said, from a best driver available standpoint, Albon and Kvyat should both be gone at the end of the year, and the seats filled with Perez and Hulkenberg. I would say Perez to RB and Hulk to AT would make the most sense to me, but it's really close.

Alonso coming back out of retirement and taking up a consistent points competitive seat really screwed things up for next year, since there is a chance that Albon or Kvyat or both somehow keep their seats, and leave Perez or Hulk or both as reserve drivers or commenting for a year or something, which is borderline criminal.

I can drive a bit, but I haven't got big diamonds in my ears. I'll never be a famous person
    On the bright side, I've still got pessimism and despair to fall back on.

PowerPoster

Albon said a couple days ago he thinks he can still keep his job if he does well at the next three races.

Then he destroys his car today in FP2.

Bottas said a couple days ago he thinks he lost the championship this year to Hamilton by a razor thin margin.

They must have the same sports psychologist or something, and that person should lose their license.

Yeah, you can criticise the drivers all you want. But they don't get to see the track ahead of the RACE!

It's like going to a new supermarket when you're desperate for bog roll and christmas cards.

The best that might happen is nothing. The worst doesn't bare thinking about.
    On the bright side, I've still got pessimism and despair to fall back on.

Bottas said a couple days ago he thinks he lost the championship this year to Hamilton by a razor thin margin.
    a razor margin

what a joke

PowerPoster

If Albon does still have a chance to keep his seat based on his performance in the last 3 races, then at least he's off to a good start. Qualifying P4 is probably the best he could have been expected to do. Now it will be interesting how the start goes tomorrow. He has a tendency to drop places in lap 1, I expect that to happen again.

PowerPoster

Seeing Grosjean's car, I can't believe he wasn't critically injured or worse.

What a horror crash and what a miracle he was able to get out of the car with only minor injuries

I tuned in just minutes after it happened... I had flash backs to Earnhardt and Wheldon, especially after seeing the charred remains of the tub. It was good to see that he was able to get out on his own. There is no doubt that he halo did its job though, even if that wasn't exactly the original intended job of it. Ironically the failure of the barrier also ended up being a good thing. I wouldn't be surprised if he retires after this. I think he just played his "get out of jail" card.
    Meanwhile Haas has tapped Fittipaldi to step in. Makes me think we're looking at a Schumacher/Fittipaldi lineup for next year at Haas.

-tg

The crash was certainly horrific, video here for those who haven't seen it: https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/a...YD2c4fKaO.html

The Halo was certainly one of the things that saved him, and has changed his view on it: "I wasn’t for the halo some years ago but I think it’s the greatest thing we brought to Formula 1 and without it I wouldn’t be able to speak to you today."

There are many things other than the halo that helped too (such as the quality of fireproof clothing, helmet technology, and the experts in the medical car), and it's great to see how safe it can be even in extreme circumstances - and now there will presumably be some more improvements on the way.

Until yesterday, I never knew that the car at the back of the pack at the start was the medical car and that it followed behind for the first lap. I just thought that it was a collector car acting as a sort of caboose, signalling the end of the pack. And that once the race started, it peeled off into the pits. Now I see why they have it where they do.

-tg

Whelp there it is.... One of the seats for next season went to Nikita Mazepin...
    https://www.haasf1team.com/news/niki...e-haas-f1-team

That takes care of the money $eat... hopefully the other will be a talent seat.

-tg

Well now.... this might make things interesting at the front of the line this weekend...
    https://www.theguardian.com/sport/20...s-f1-sakhir-gp
    Hamilton's out for at least the next race.

-tg

PowerPoster

I know he's got some various streaks going on right now (consecutive wins, etc), it would suck if this officially breaks them. I guess it must, but I could see an argument that this year, missing a race due to covid should pause any streaks for that particular driver. Either way, another reason why the next race should be more interesting.

He's not sufficiently socially distanced in the car?

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy Hiker View Post
    He's not sufficiently socially distanced in the car?
    I think with racing a very strong case could be made that a driver can drive a race while Covid positive with essentially zero chance of infecting others by keeping the driver isolated from everyone while not in the car. But of course, it would be a PR nightmare, and it seems like optics rule over everything else these days, including science and logic in some cases.

It's hard to keep the driver away from others, for example if there is a crash (even a small one) then the marshals are likely to need close contact with the driver.

There are also several instances where the team need close contact with the driver, such as when the seatbelts are put on (as they need to be really tight, they have to be done by another person).

Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst ... 45678910 ... LastLast