Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ... 29101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Hamilton 5x World Champion ?

PowerPoster

Re: Hamilton 5x World Champion ?

OT post about American All Left Turn Racing:

Nascar Cup Series switched to a wheel that uses a single lug nut this year. So far, it seems to be problematic. One car lost a wheel completely, one car had the wheel assembly break apart and the tire came off, and one car had issues where the wheel wouldn't attach properly. Not a good look at the biggest Nascar race of the year.

Quote Originally Posted by OptionBase1 View Post

Nascar Cup Series switched to a wheel that uses a single lug nut this year. So far, it seems to be problematic. One car lost a wheel completely, one car had the wheel assembly break apart and the tire came off, and one car had issues where the wheel wouldn't attach properly. Not a good look at the biggest Nascar race of the year.
    And Team Penske had several wheels confiscated for alleged illegal modifications. https://racer.com/2022/02/21/penske-...modifications/
    "Bones heal. Chicks dig scars. Pain is temporary. Glory is forever." - Robert Craig "Evel" Knievel
    “Leave me alone, I know what I’m doing.” - Kimi Raikkonen

Re: Russell 1x World Champion ?

I'm going to predict that the Haas slump continues. I know the story last year was that they didn't spend any money developing their 2021 car, so that they could focus resources on the 2022+ car. It could have been a convenient excuse. I don't expect much from them this year.
    Yeah, as much as I'd like to expect more from them this year, I agree. Not so much because of the hardware, but the installed software behind the wheel, if you catch my drift. the one may be OK, the other not so much.

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

I didn't realize they were changing to single lugs this year (or at all for that matter) .. might have to watch the next couple of races just for the entertainment value.

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by homer13j View Post
    And Team Penske had several wheels confiscated for alleged illegal modifications. https://racer.com/2022/02/21/penske-...modifications/
    Thanks for the link, I hadn't heard about that situation.

PowerPoster

You see where HAAS has cut ties with the Russian sponsor and Mazepin. Good for HAAS. That probably cost them a lot of money.

I felt sorry for Mazepin as a driver, but then I remembered that he's the son of one of the Russian oligarchs, good friend of Putin. He'll be a billionaire, whether he gets to drive F1 cars or not.
    Any software I post in these forums written by me is provided "AS IS" without warranty of any kind, expressed or implied, and permission is hereby granted, free of charge and without restriction, to any person obtaining a copy. To all, peace and happiness.

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by wes4dbt View Post
    You see where HAAS has cut ties with the Russian sponsor and Mazepin. Good for HAAS. That probably cost them a lot of money.
    If Mazepin had earned his seat rather than it being paid for (and then some) by his dad's company, I would feel sorry for him. Haas had no reason to keep him in the seat when the Russian money train derailed.

PowerPoster

One more Off Topic post about Nascar.

The cup series has a gigantic problem on their hands right now. The new car + new tire configuration so far has been a complete disaster. Way too many wrecks caused by a car just losing control all on its own, way too many cautions, way too many tire issues. I would imagine there are going to be some frantic conference calls this week between Nascar executives discussing what they can do. If nothing changes, this season is looking like it will be a disaster. There's nothing entertaining about 10-20 green flag laps followed by a caution.

Yeah, I went to NASCAR to watch the demolition derby and a car race broke out.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

You're mixin' your message...or language...there.

PowerPoster

Re: "Let George by" being heard on Hamilton radio all season ?

Nice that Kevin Magnussen is back in the Haas seat. There were several names being thrown around for who might fill the empty Mazepin seat, but I never saw his name until it was announced he got it.

PowerPoster

I hadn't seen any video of the "porpoising" that has been widely reported during test runs this year, until FP1 this morning. Holy crap that looks crazy scary and uncomfortable for the drivers. Having to go through that on several different stretches of track for every lap must be hell on your brain and eyes.

PowerPoster

Re: Russell 1x World Champion ?

I'm going to predict that the Haas slump continues. I know the story last year was that they didn't spend any money developing their 2021 car, so that they could focus resources on the 2022+ car. It could have been a convenient excuse. I don't expect much from them this year. I do think Williams jumps out of the bottom Tier of teams this year.
    It's obviously very early, but it sure looks like HAAS came to play this year after all.

PowerPoster

Ferrari (and Ferrari engine affiliated teams, for that matter) seem like they might be in the hunt this year. 4 Ferrari engines in the top 5 of Q1.

PowerPoster

The Mercedes powered teams seem to be struggling. Ferrari powered teams are surging. It would be really nice to see a 3 way battle for the constructor's championship - Red Bull, Mercedes, Ferrari - and 4 or 5 way battle for driver's championship - Max, Lewis, Russell, Leclerc, and maybe Sainz. I don't see Perez being in that battle. That's my assessment of the entire 2022 season before the first lap has been run

Wow... what a race.. Ferrari 1-2... Merc 3-4... Haas with a top 5... and both RBs DNF....

Great to see Ferrari as a front contender once again.

The battle between LeClerc and Vesrtappen in trns 1 & 4 was a lot of fun to watch. LeClerc, Verstappen, LeClerc, Verstappen, LeClerc, Versta-- LeClerc....

-tg

PowerPoster

Yikes for Red Bull...I remember several years ago when Red Bull was having reliability issues, I hope this isn't another year like that.

Ferrari engines in 3 of the top 5, 5 of the top 10.

I really hope Haas can be in the midfield mix all year. Too bad Mick was 1 spot out of scoring his first points.

PowerPoster

Really happy for HAAS. Mag gave that car a really good ride. Think he will also help Mick to improve. The last couple of years has been hard to watch.

I'm sure Mercedes will sort out there suspension problems and then we will end up with a three team battle at the top. Looking forward to the season.

PowerPoster

The race was a good one.

I was a bit confused why a full safety car wasn't deployed late when there were multiple stationary cars on track that needed to get pushed off by marshalls. From a "don't want to have the potential to greatly affect the outcome of the race" standpoint, I get it, but safety always needs to come first, and in this case it didn't seem to be.

Also, the last two laps when there was a stopped car on the side of the track was odd. The graphics on tv seemed to indicate a ping-ponging of a localized yellow, back to green, back to yellow. Not sure how "official" the broadcast flag status is, but generally, it seems to be instantly on point, to where it will indicate a yellow flag status on screen several seconds before it is acknowledged by the announcers and the camera switches to the incident.

Mercedes vying for "best of the rest" this year? Or will they be a tier 1.5 team, with Alpine, Alfa Romeo, Alpha Tauri and Haas vying for "best of the rest"?

I was a bit confused why a full safety car wasn't deployed late when there were multiple stationary cars on track that needed to get pushed off by marshalls. From a "don't want to have the potential to greatly affect the outcome of the race" standpoint, I get it, but safety always needs to come first, and in this case it didn't seem to be.
    How a stopped car is dealt with depends on various factors, primarily can the marshalls remove the car without risking themselves.

In this case it seems that they had all the space/time/equipment/etc that they needed to deal with it in a safe way, so a full safety car wasn't needed.

Also, the last two laps when there was a stopped car on the side of the track was odd. The graphics on tv seemed to indicate a ping-ponging of a localized yellow, back to green, back to yellow. Not sure how "official" the broadcast flag status is, but generally, it seems to be instantly on point, to where it will indicate a yellow flag status on screen several seconds before it is acknowledged by the announcers and the camera switches to the incident.
    It can seem a bit bizarre sometimes... I wasn't paying attention at that point so didn't notice, but in the past I have seen that kind of thing caused by automatic sensors having issues (so they trigger the yellow due to car speed/position etc, but go back to green almost immediately because the "issue" is gone).

Mercedes vying for "best of the rest" this year?
    Probably... I'm guessing they'll be 3rd/4th best this year, but it depends on how long it takes them to fix their issues and how well they do it.

They have a unique design, so if they get it working properly it could make them very dominant, but it could just as easily be like McLaren's 18 (from about 2004) which never got sorted out (and because there hadn't been rule changes, they just kept using the previous car).

PowerPoster

Mercedes vying for "best of the rest" this year?
    Probably... I'm guessing they'll be 3rd/4th best this year, but it depends on how long it takes them to fix their issues and how well they do it.

They have a unique design, so if they get it working properly it could make them very dominant, but it could just as easily be like McLaren's 18 (from about 2004) which never got sorted out (and because there hadn't been rule changes, they just kept using the previous car).
    It will be interesting to see. Right now I'm enjoying the fact it's not always Red Bull and Mercedes at the top. I hope their problems last long enough that Lewis isn't even in the conversation for the championship. But I'd be surprised if Mercedes doesn't sort out their problems pretty quickly.

It's funny, I wasn't a Ferrari fan until Mercedes started dominating year after year after year. The enemy of my enemy is my friend. lol

PowerPoster

Great race for Red Bull. It was nice to see that places 2 through 9 were cars from 8 different teams. Hamilton must be seething after being stuck in 14th place pretty much all race. Painful to watch, there's no way he's back next year if Mercedes struggle continues.

PowerPoster

Painful to watch, there's no way he's back next year if Mercedes struggle continues.
    That's a bold prediction. lol

Are you predicting Lewis will leave or that Mercedes will replace him?

As for the race, it was OK. No race for the lead. Nothing like the NASCAR Cup series race at Talladega.

PowerPoster

My prediction is that Lewis would leave/retire if Mercedes struggle continues. If Mercedes turns it around, and they win some races and get consistent podiums, then maybe he comes back again.

I don't think it is that bold at all. Remember, his return this year was up in the air for a while. Imagine after a year of running mid-pack, if that continues to happen? It's already been reported that he and Toto have been having extremely heated arguments about the car issues. I don't think either one of them want an entire year of that happening, and then turn around and want to do it again next year.

I read an article yesterday following the race, where he seemed to double-down on his commitment to the team. I could go either way at this point. But we're also what, only 4-5 races in? It's still early. Drivers though are starting to complain about the porpoising that's going on and the toll it's taking on them. I suspect we'll see a sudden breakthrough on both fronts (Merc's power issue & the porpoising) some where around mid-season ... or we'll see an emergency regs change that will change the game dramatically.

-tg

PowerPoster

Re: RIP Lewis Hamilton's nose-ring?

There seem to be at least 2 overpasses directly above part of the track in Miami. I really hope no one tries to do anything idiotic from them to try to disrupt the race. I would imagine they are going to be closed to traffic, so that should help prevent something from happening.

It's Miami. Somebody will probably be molesting an alligator on those overpasses...while wearing oxygen due to the altitude.

PowerPoster

Again Red Bull's straight line speed was to much to over come. Strange how things change. It wasn't that long ago that Red Bull was known for it's maneuverability but lacked straight line speed. I'm surprised Mercedes still not competitive with RB and Ferrari. Have to admit, I'm glad. lol

Nice to see HAAS staying competitive for 8-10, though they self destructed yesterday.

PowerPoster

I thought this year was shaping up to be a real battle between Red Bull and Ferrari, maybe Mercedes joining the fight about now. The last three races has started to ruin this battle. Man, Ferrari just can't put a whole race together. They are kicking butt in qualifying but on race day they keep shooting themselves in the foot.

They better turn this around quickly or the championship battles will be over.

PowerPoster

Not breaking news, of course, but it is clear that Ferarri were not prepared, from top to bottom, for a driver or constructor's championship title fight this year. Sainz in 2022 reminds me of Perez in 2021. LeClerc can't seem to handle the pressure. Team strategy is haywire. They appeared to have had two bad options yesterday regarding Sainz strategy. Leave him out for 35 laps on Medium tires, or pit again with about 18 laps to go for new tires and give him time to try to drive back through the field. But somehow they managed to come up with a third option that was even worse than the other two.

The real battle for the remainder of the year seems to be the battle for 2nd through 6th place in the driver's championship. If I had to pick who I would root for to get 2nd, it would be Russell, but I don't think that will happen unless Mercedes finds more performance and soon.

PowerPoster

Yeah, the championship seems to have been settled. I just don't see Max or Red Bull making enough mistakes to let Ferrari back into the battle. It's a shame, Ferrari has had a great qualifying car. But reliability and driver mistakes have ruined their chances. This could have been a real fun championship fight to watch.

I still think Leclrec should get second but it's a tight race now. I'm sort of amazed that Mercedes is even in the conversation. But like usual, they are reliable and get the most out of a race.

The rest of the field have been fun to watch, they all seem to stick it in deep on corner and then claim "it was my corner" after they collide. lol

PowerPoster

I spoke too soon apparently. Although, it is just one race, and no matter what happens tomorrow Red Bull will lead the constructor's championship by a good margin, and Max will lead the driver's championship by a good margin. But what an absolute meltdown for Red Bull today.

George Russell getting his first pole was spectacular. I'd love to see him get his first win tomorrow, but I don't think that is likely without more Ferrari difficulties.

PowerPoster

Mercedes does seem to be closing the gap. That's good but I have to admit I have been enjoying seeing them struggle. lol

Now lets work on getting rid of all these colored smoke bombs.

PowerPoster

Ferrari just put LeClerc on hard tires even after they've been trash for everyone else that has used them today...that's what happens when you Medium-Medium the first 40 laps I guess, but man, they should have planned this out differently.

Great race by Verstappen, but the Ferrari team should really be ashamed of themselves

PowerPoster

That late VSC screwed up Perez's chance to pass Sainz, he was closing on him by 1.5-2 seconds per lap before it came out. And LeClerc not being able to steam ahead on his fresh Soft's for the last 15 laps or so was very odd. I thought for sure he would pass Perez easily after 5 laps or so.

PowerPoster

And LeClerc not being able to steam ahead on his fresh Soft's for the last 15 laps or so was very odd. I thought for sure he would pass Perez easily after 5 laps or so.
    Yeah, that was odd.

Ferrari just let Max dictate the race. There was no need to pit Sainz so soon, they even pitted Leclerc to soon. They needed to go Medium - Softs. I think they miscalculated the effects of the cold weather.

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by wes4dbt View Post
    Yeah, that was odd.

Ferrari just let Max dictate the race. There was no need to pit Sainz so soon, they even pitted Leclerc to soon. They needed to go Medium - Softs. I think they miscalculated the effects of the cold weather.
    Yeah. Basically, they needed to run their own race strategy that made sense and not worry about the team that started 10th and 11th. And George wasn't going to win the race on pace in a straight up battle of 2-stops, and any alternate strategy by him (like some longshot one stop) wasn't going to do it either.

They started on Mediums and should have gone longer on the first stint than everyone that started on Softs. Then, they should have gone even longer on their second stint if the plan was Med-Med-Soft (which it should have been) all along. Stints of 26-26-18 laps, something along those lines.

If Med-Med-Hard was plan A all along, then I guess we're witnessing what happens when MonkeyPox takes the form of F1 strategy.

I believe Bottas was already for 10 laps on white, and it wasn't a success.
    Why not observe what others do?
    And the last stop for Leclerc to change the white to red with only 5 laps to go? What was the purpose, beside losing positions??

Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ... 29101112131415 ... LastLast