Thread: Hamilton 5x World Champion ?

Hamilton 5x World Champion ?

Hi,

looks like Lewis is going to do it. He seems unstoppable
    it will just depend on his car.

I wonder if he is going to crack M.Schumachers 7x World Champion Titles

regards
    Chris
    to hunt a species to extinction is not logical !
    since 2010 the number of Tigers are rising again in 2016 - 3900 were counted. with Baby Callas it's 3901, my wife and I had 2-3 months the privilege of raising a Baby Tiger.

Superbly Moderated NeedSomeAnswers's Avatar

Re: Hamilton 5x World Champion ?

I like Hamilton he is a great driver, and I used to watch a fair number of grand prix's but i dont find them enjoyable to watch at the moment.

F1 is in a weird place as a sport, there has always been more dominant cars but it just feels un-interesting to watch right now very little drama very little dramatic racing.

The best races are when its raining, maybe it would be better if they just always raced in the wet with sprinkler systems or something
    Please Mark your Thread "Resolved", if the query is solved & Rate those who have helped you

Quote Originally Posted by NeedSomeAnswers View Post
    I like Hamilton he is a great driver, and I used to watch a fair number of grand prix's but i dont find them enjoyable to watch at the moment.

F1 is in a weird place as a sport, there has always been more dominant cars but it just feels un-interesting to watch right now very little drama very little dramatic racing.

The best races are when its raining, maybe it would be better if they just always raced in the wet with sprinkler systems or something
    well Mercedes has the best package at the moment, it was more intresting when
    they still had to refuel there Cars.
    since 2010 the number of Tigers are rising again in 2016 - 3900 were counted. with Baby Callas it's 3901, my wife and I had 2-3 months the privilege of raising a Baby Tiger.

Typically this is how it goes for me.... get up, tune in... watch the pre-race... watch the opening 5-7 laps... 10 if there's an incident on the opening lap.... fall asleep for the middle 50% of the race which typically just ends up being a parade anyways.... wake up for the lat 5-10 laps... feign surprise when Hamilton wins (again). To be honest I think the best part of the racing happens in the middle to latter part of the pack, the battles for the 6th-13th places... the bottom end of the points. I heard someone suggest once that F1 should extend points to all finishers... and at first I thought that a good idea... but then realized that some of the best racing was happening around that 10th spot as the racers scramble for those final racing points and I realized... hell... that's what makes this different... leave that like it is... what I'd like to see gotten rid of though are blue flags. Just because you're going around fast enough to lap others, why should they get out of your way so you can go faster? Fight for your spot, don't just have it handed to you. And bring back refueling.

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

I'd be surprised if Lewis doesn't win this year, Ferrari keep on making too many mistakes (and to a lesser degree, Vettel has too).

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisE View Post
    He probably will, as he's got enough years left in him to get a few more championships... but it does depend on how his team does compared to the others, especially when rule changes come in.

As a bonus, he wont be cheating to do it. Schu got 2 of his championships by cheating, one from him deliberately crashing into his main competitor (the rule was worded poorly at the time, so he would have won in court), and one from somebody else blackmailing another team (at the time drivers could only be punished if another team said something, and they were silenced).

Quote Originally Posted by NeedSomeAnswers View Post
    I know what you mean, it currently isn't quite right... thankfully the new owners of the sport are going about things the right way (with what seems like the best possible people), and intend to change it as soon as possible.

They already can at one track (Paul Ricard, the French GP), but it would have to be done very well (including randomising it sensibly) to avoid just making it predictable so nobody really gains/loses from it.

Quote Originally Posted by techgnome View Post
    To be honest I think the best part of the racing happens in the middle to latter part of the pack, the battles for the 6th-13th places... the bottom end of the points.
    That is often true, and it is currently the main point of interest for me because after Force India lost their points (due to the team being sold) there is a chance that McLaren (my team, who are having another bad year) will be ahead of them in the constructors championship at the end of the season... in which case my team gets a bigger budget for next year, as well as some potentially good changes, so will hopefully do much better next year.

what I'd like to see gotten rid of though are blue flags. Just because you're going around fast enough to lap others, why should they get out of your way so you can go faster? Fight for your spot, don't just have it handed to you. And bring back refueling.
    Blue flags were introduced because of poor driving at the back of the grid, which accidentally affected the championship too much. Things are a bit better now, but I still think it would be a problem.

Refuelling was taken out because of safety of the pit crews etc, but also because despite what we all thought it didn't actually add anything to the racing. Several committed fans/reporters have carefully analysed the races before/during/after the refuelling era, and found it made no noticeable difference.
    Last edited by si_the_geek; Oct 19th, 2018 at 03:49 PM.

PowerPoster

Refuelling was taken out because of safety of the pit crews etc, but also because despite what we all thought it didn't actually add anything to the racing. Several committed fans/reporters have carefully analysed the races before/during/after the refuelling era, and found it made no noticeable difference.
    Don't know that I can agree with that, many times I've seen teams have problems during the refueling process. It adds another variable which makes the race out come less predictable. I'd like to see them bring refueling back but I doubt it will happen because of safety issues.

But F1 needs to do something, these One Stop/One Tire Change races leave very little excitement in the two hour race. Basically, if you can make it through lap one with no damage, your position in the race is set, unless your car is far superior to the one in front of you. Being a little better isn't enough to overcome the lose of areo dynamics when your behind another car.

I've only been watching F1 for the last 10yrs, never really on TV in the US before that. The first four years Red Bull and Vettel dominated, then Mercedes dominated for 5yrs. This year started off looking like it would be a great fight between Ferrari and Mercedes but both Vettel and the Ferrari team have shot themselves in the foot to many times. Not a big Hamilton fan but I do think he has out driven Vettel.

Here in the US we have Indy car racing, the cars are not as sophisticated as F1 cars (F1 cars truly amazing) but I think the Indy car races are more entertaining.

Go HAAS!!!

The variability added by refuelling seemed noticeable at the time, but based on careful analysis it turns out it was negligible compared to the current issue, where any variability from the tyre changes etc has a bigger impact... an expected 2-3 second stop is given a small amount of leeway (which means a 3 second delay usually loses a position), but when refuelling pit stops took around 9-10 seconds the leeway could be bigger (and eliminated issues from tyres etc, as they took far less time than the fuel). Apparently there is more variability without the fuel.

The loss of aero is the big thing affecting the racing at the moment, but thankfully the new owners of F1 are apparently working things out brilliantly - they just need to deal with politics (with the FIA etc and the teams) to try to get things pushed thru quicker than they can demand it.

This year started off looking like it would be a great fight between Ferrari and Mercedes but both Vettel and the Ferrari team have shot themselves in the foot to many times. Not a big Hamilton fan but I do think he has out driven Vettel.
    I fully agree with that... Vettel is too much like Schu (great work ethic, but not the best driver), but without the advantages Schu had (unlimited testing when only Ferrari had easy access to a track, no budget caps, etc).

Lewis is a great driver, but despite him being from my country and originally driving for my team, and seeing him doing something special in real life (signing hundreds of autographs, when other drivers were only doing 10-20) I've never really warmed to him that much... no idea why!

I'd be surprised if Lewis doesn't win this year, Ferrari keep on making too many mistakes (and to a lesser degree, Vettel has too).

He probably will, as he's got enough years left in him to get a few more championships... but it does depend on how his team does compared to the others, especially when rule changes come in.

As a bonus, he wont be cheating to do it. Schu got 2 of his championships by cheating, one from him deliberately crashing into his main competitor (the rule was worded poorly at the time, so he would have won in court), and one from somebody else blackmailing another team (at the time drivers could only be punished if another team said something, and they were silenced).
    well I agree with most of what you said, but I can remember a Race at Spa(rain Race) where David Coultard more or less waited for Schuhmacher and he drove on to him.
    result one front Tire gone ..race over.. I will never forget Schummi going into the McLaren Pit

so that was one World Title less, the saying(hope I'm right)...what goes around comes around...

I think that Lewis is going to crack the Record, or aleast make the 7x Champion.

regards
    Chris

well I agree with most of what you said, but I can remember a Race at Spa(rain Race) where David Coultard more or less waited for Schuhmacher and he drove on to him.
    result one front Tire gone ..race over.. I will never forget Schummi going into the McLaren Pit

so that was one World Title less, the saying(hope I'm right)...what goes around comes around...
    That was part of the famously epic Spa '98 race (about 15 major events happened), and that crash is actually known to be a mistake by the Ferrari team, rather than either of the drivers.

DC was running slowly (he was using a different car after a massive 18 car crash) and was being lapped, back in the days before blue flags. Ferrari had gone to McLaren to ask that DC moved over to let Schu thru, but somehow with all the difficult circumstances and heightened emotions of that very complex race, they forgot to tell Schu... he wasn't expecting DC to be going that slowly, and couldn't see the slower car in time because it was far too wet in that area. Oops!

The visit to the McLaren pit was certainly a magical moment in that race... DC is a bigger guy than Schu, and was surrounded by lots of his team, but still felt the need to wear his helmet and hold back due to the intense rage that Schumi was in!

Here is that crash and the pit visit afterwards (starting with live commentary of Ferrari speaking to McLaren): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TeAuQ2Xem4Q

Quote Originally Posted by si_the_geek View Post

Here is that crash and the pit visit afterwards (starting with live commentary of Ferrari speaking to McLaren): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TeAuQ2Xem4Q
    thanks for the -painful- Clip to watch, that did cost him the Title

watch this for a laugh..https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W2s_i3yktCA

regards
    Chris
    Last edited by ChrisE; Oct 20th, 2018 at 08:05 AM.

An obscure body in the SK system. The inhabitants call it Earth

I prefer Red Bull soap box racing. Loads more variety.
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter - Winston Churchill

Hadoop actually sounds more like the way they greet each other in Yorkshire - Inferrd

It certainly has variety... the vehicles seem to be all shapes and sizes, and there is all kinds of falling over and crashing!

PowerPoster

Well the championship should be settled this weekend. I thought the Austin race was a perfect example of the major problem F1 has with passing. Hamilton had @16 lap fresher tires and a car that was probably 1 to 2 seconds a lap faster in clean air and when the best driver in the world has all those advantages and still can't pass the Red Bull in front of him, that's a problem. Though this problem isn't unique to F1 but it does seem be a larger problem in F1. That said, the question is how do you fix it. I don't know. F1 isn't going to remove all the wings and fins and go back to a 1960 looking car. Luckily there probably a lot of guys smarter than me working on the problem.

The Mercedes gets affected by following another car more than most, and the Red Bull happened to have a driver who is known to be happy to risk knocking the other driver off the road - Lewis openly admitted he was extremely cautious, which he wouldn't have been for anyone else.

Thankfully there are big plans in place to avoid the airflow issues of following another car (overseen by Ross Brawn, the technical guy at Ferrari during Schumi's reign, and the nominal owner of the Brawn team), but the full thing can't be brought in until 2021 due to contracts... but they are making some changes for next year, which the teams reckon will improve things.

PowerPoster

Thankfully there are big plans in place to avoid the airflow issues of following another car (overseen by Ross Brawn, the technical guy at Ferrari during Schumi's reign, and the nominal owner of the Brawn team), but the full thing can't be brought in until 2021 due to contracts... but they are making some changes for next year, which the teams reckon will improve things.
    You seem to follow F1 closely, I just watch the races. Has anyone said what these changes will be? I'm curious how they're planning on fixing this problem.

There are lots of changes in terms of this issue, to the point that I don't remember them all... thankfully the bits that are changing are listed (and described) on the official website:
    https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/a...MQImMiIgw.html

A condensed version of the list of things that are changing for 2019:
    • Front wing is simplified - which will encourage designers to direct air under the car, which is affected less by following another car.
    • Rear wing gets wider and deeper (with no slots on the side) - which should direct the disturbed air far enough upwards that it wont affect somebody behind.
    • DRS (the bit on the rear wing that opens to help overtaking) gets bigger - so should be 25-30% more powerful.
    • No brake duct winglets, and no blown axles - both of which direct air outwards (which affects the car behind).
    • Barge boards (the 'wings' parallel to the car beside the driver) are moved - to make them less sensitive to following another car.

This is just a small part of the changes that are intended for 2021, but as the teams all agreed the bits above happen next year - and seeing the results of these changes will enable the officials to come up with an even better design for 2021 than they would have (and they don't need the teams to agree to that design, as the governing body can force it then).

Just the things for 2019 should make a big difference to this issue (and alter which cars are fastest), so it could be a very good season.

Hi,

I wish they would allow refueling again with it's Pro/Con's

you never new who had how much fuel to start the Race

regards
    Chris

PowerPoster

si,

Looking forward to seeing if these changes shake things up a bit. 5yrs of Mercedes domination is enough (though the Ferrari car was close this year, just not the team as a whole).

Things were reasonably close this year (not domination this time, as Ferrari still have a decent chance to win the constructors title), but Ferrari and Vettel made too many mistakes to get the drivers title.

There should be a bit of shake up from those aero changes (but how much is anyones guess), and from Red Bull changing engine suppliers (to the same that their junior team currently use, so they already know the new engines are about 0.6s per lap quicker, and much more reliable).

It's looking like next year could be a decent mix of 3 teams.

I'm not much into racing, but I'd say that it would be better if Red Bull won without making the changes. After all, if they make the changes, then win, people will think it was due to the changes. If they win without making those changes, it would be Red Bull without a cause.

(that pun may be a bit dated)
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy Hiker View Post
    I'm not much into racing, but I'd say that it would be better if Red Bull won without making the changes. After all, if they make the changes, then win, people will think it was due to the changes. If they win without making those changes, it would be Red Bull without a cause.

(that pun may be a bit dated)
    Must be a very slow day at the office. lol

wonder if Max will keep his cool in the last race, Esteban made a real fool of himself
    knocking poor Max of the Track.

what a pitty Max should have won that Race

It was unfortunate, it would have been nice for Max to win.

Based on what he said on the radio at the time, it seems like his inexperience was the issue on this occasion - he wasn't aware that people are allowed to un-lap themselves, so didn't treat the situation with the respect it deserved.

I'm not impressed with his attitude after the race tho (finding Ocon to "gently" physically attack him, video here), and I'm glad that he's being punished for it - he has to do 2 days community service.

I could see Ocon was being a bit cheeky when it got physical, but there was no need for it to happen, or even for Max to be there in the first place.

Based on the article with the video, it sounds like Max has decided to ignore Lewis's advice in the podium room ("you had more to lose than him, so you should have given him space"), despite seeing that Lewis has done it himself several times this year, whereas Vettel didn't and had some crashes which cost several points... maybe enough to have the championship still going now.

Based on what he said on the radio at the time, it seems like his inexperience was the issue on this occasion - he wasn't aware that people are allowed to un-lap themselves, so didn't treat the situation with the respect it deserved.
    didn't know that they were allowed to un-lap

I'm not impressed with his attitude after the race tho (finding Ocon to "gently" physically attack him, video here), and I'm glad that he's being punished for it - he has to do 2 days community service.
    yeh, probably he need's some "anger Management Class"

Based on the article with the video, it sounds like Max has decided to ignore Lewis's advice in the podium room ("you had more to lose than him, so you should have given him space"), despite seeing that Lewis has done it himself several times this year, whereas Vettel didn't and had some crashes which cost several points... maybe enough to have the championship still going now.
    well let's hope he will think about what Lewis said.... more to lose...

I really hope next year there is going to be a 3 Team battle for the Title(s)

PowerPoster

I think Max will be ok, he's still very young. If he gets in the right car I can see him winning multiple championships. From my point of view Max was completely at fault for the actual wreck, he cut directly across Ocon, all he had to do was stay wide. But I will say that Ocon had no real reason for trying to pass Max and putting Max in that position, I'm all for passing and unlapping yourself if it serves a purpose but he was never going to score any points. Ocon was a non factor and should have stayed that way.

Last race of the year always makes me sad. Sundays are usually my day of rest and I look forward to relaxing in my recliner and watching some racing. Nascar, F1, Indy Car, NHRA I like them all.

PowerPoster

Well, if Australian qualifying is any indication of who is the strongest then it looks like another Mercedes dominating year. 7 tenths over Ferrari and all the rest of the teams lagging even further. Looks like a good chance of a sixth straight year of Mercedes dominance. I sure hope the new rule changes makes the racing more interesting. I am curious what Leclerc can do in the Ferrari. Go HAAS!!!!

The races in Australia are notoriously unreliable as an indicator of what is to come for the rest of the year, as the track has setup quirks that don't happen elsewhere...and on top of that Ferrari were quickest before quali and didn't know what changed. They may now, and over the last few years they have been better in the race than in qualifying.

There's lots to look forward to in this race, as there are several new drivers and lots of drivers in different teams (both of which tend to create unpredictability), as well as those rule changes which will hopefully work well to boost following and overtaking (but on this particular track, overtaking is harder than usual).

There is also now a point awarded for fastest lap, which should add some excitement late in the race.

PowerPoster

Well, good job by Bottas. Don't know if maybe the DRS zones in Australia are to short but I didn't notice any improvement. I'd hate to have to announce these races, with only one pit stop you really have to look hard for exciting things to talk about. Thank god the mid pack cars seem very equal. But I'm a racing fan and I still always watch, beats the hell out of watching the VOICE. lol I hope your right about Australia, maybe next race with surprise me.

I like the 'newcommers' Lando Norris looks like a man for the future,
    wonder what happend to Vettel Motor in the last part of the Race ?
    seems like his Elec-Power(mgu) was gone.

I don't think the point for fastest lap will have any real impact. You still have to be in the top 10 with that fastest lap to get that point. Ultimately it's still likely going to go to the top 4 finishers in each race anyway. Just means we might have a champion with three races left on the calendar rather than just one.

My first complaint is the wider front aero kits..... bleh... the cars keep getting wider... and then they wonder why there isn't more passing... if the cars were a bit more narrow where they could actually get around each other with out smacking into the wall, or running off into the grass, there might be more passing. Also I think DRS is a bit of a joke.

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

Quote Originally Posted by wes4dbt View Post
    Thank god the mid pack cars seem very equal.
    There were some good battles with them, so there is certainly a good chance of excitement throughout the year.

I hope your right about Australia, maybe next race with surprise me.
    There wasn't a huge amount of overtaking, but it was much better than recent races at the same track... next up is Bahrain, which is much easier to pass on, so that should make it much clearer.

I like the 'newcommers' Lando Norris looks like a man for the future,
    Woo, go Lando! (he grew up near where I live, and drives for my favourite team)

wonder what happend to Vettel Motor in the last part of the Race ?
    seems like his Elec-Power(mgu) was gone.
    His tyres were wrecked, but there was something else going on with his car for most of the race... in the interviews afterwards, he had no idea what it was.

Quote Originally Posted by techgnome View Post
    I don't think the point for fastest lap will have any real impact. You still have to be in the top 10 with that fastest lap to get that point. Ultimately it's still likely going to go to the top 4 finishers in each race anyway. Just means we might have a champion with three races left on the calendar rather than just one.
    It did add some excitement at the end of the race, but you are right that there are limited contenders for it... but having only 6 drivers to monitor at once is better than trying to keep track of all 20 (and be overwhelmed).

Given that Red Bull are likely to be real contenders for it on a regular basis, it could boost them even tho they probably aren't as strong as Mercedes and Ferrari in terms of positions. While it wont make up for everything, it is likely to make them championship contenders for longer.

My first complaint is the wider front aero kits..... bleh... the cars keep getting wider... and then they wonder why there isn't more passing... if the cars were a bit more narrow where they could actually get around each other with out smacking into the wall, or running off into the grass, there might be more passing.
    The wider (and simpler front wings are actually an improvement in terms of overtaking, but they do increase the chances of damage if an accident occurs. I suspect they will get narrower again in a couple of years, but without the extra bits they had before.

Also I think DRS is a bit of a joke.
    I'm in two minds about it... it is a bit of a gimmick, but it does improve the racing.

Quote Originally Posted by si_the_geek View Post

Woo, go Lando! (he grew up near where I live, and drives for my favourite team)
    yeah he reminds me of a guy called Lewis, his first (I think Fernando was his first) Teammate a guy called Fernando Allonso, was having real fun with this young Teammate

well looks like Ferrari is strong in Bahrain, glad to see that,
    it should be a good race on Sunday and not just Mercedes
    driving away again

PowerPoster

Yeah I'm interested to see what Leclerc does. I've often wondered if Vettel is really that good or did Red Bull have a far superior car. Hope Ferrari doesn't make Leclerc let Vettel pass. Not this early in the season. Gasly wasn't very impressive and Grosjean was daydreaming and almost caused a major wreck during qualifying. It sounds like an extremely bad idea that Haas doesn't keep their drivers informed of the cars coming up on them.

Quote Originally Posted by wes4dbt View Post
    Yeah I'm interested to see what Leclerc does. I've often wondered if Vettel is really that good or did Red Bull have a far superior car. Hope Ferrari doesn't make Leclerc let Vettel pass.
    I'm afraid your spot on with that...Ferrari doesn't make Leclerc let Vettel pass...
    and yes the Rad Bull when Vettel was driving there was superior, don't get me wrong
    Vettel is a good driver, but he did make a lot of mistakes last year
    just think of Hockenheim where he was leading and went of into the "sand-gravel" when
    it started to rain a little

PowerPoster

Very fun race to watch today. Big difference in the DRS effect compared to Australia. Leclerc was impressive, to bad his Ferrari let him down. Vettel wasn't impressive, should have let Hamilton finish the pass, he should have been able to retake the position using DRS. The mid pack racing was incredible, back and forth passing all race long. Though it is starting to look like Red Bull and all the other team have not gained any ground on Mercedes or Ferrari in terms of performance. Looks like the Championship is between those guys.

I thought that was one of the better races in a long time. And I don't think it was so much that Leclerc's Ferrari let him down so much as it was simple tire deg... he was on those tires far too long. All in all, it was a great race flag to flag.

-tg

PowerPoster

And I don't think it was so much that Leclerc's Ferrari let him down so much as it was simple tire deg... he was on those tires far too long
    No Ferrari said it was a failure in one of the cylinders. I believe he actually had on newer tires than Hamilton. Just all of a sudden he was way down on power. I agree it was one the best races in a long time. My poor HAAS team really sucked. I don't know what happened to Magnussen's speed and Grosjean just has never learned how to take care of a car in traffic. He has been a real disappointment the last couple of years.

I did feel sorry for Nico Hulkenberg, he had a great race

Yeah. I agree about Haas... I was excited when I heard about them... as the only American team, and their HQ being just up the road from me (I live in south Carolina), I want to be a fan, but they make it so hard. I really do not like the way Grosjean drives.... maybe if they were able to exchange his wings and side boards for buggy bumpers... maybe.

Nico though.... ugh.... BOTH Renaults.... at the same time.... *** hapened there? Were their cars operating on a timed schedule or something? One blows a gear box, and the other gets the yellow flag warning and its like the machine just goes "ok, well, that's that then, I'm out." *blip* .... O.O

-tg

Page 1 of 17 123411 ... LastLast