Page 14 of 17 FirstFirst ... 411121314151617 LastLast

Thread: Hamilton 5x World Champion ?

PowerPoster

Re: Hamilton 5x World Champion ?

Prior to qualifying, it had been raining a bit. I believe teams had been using the intermediate tires for the first part of qualifying Q1, but then they started to change to slicks late in Q1 I believe. But then it started to rain a bit again towards the end of Q2, and it was up in the air if everyone would be starting Q3 on intermediate tires or slicks.

KMag was first in line to go out in Q3, and the weather was getting a bit worse. 9 of the drivers were still on slicks, and LeClerc was on inters (and none too pleased about being the only one on inters). Everyone got a chance to get 1 qualifying lap in, KMag nailed his lap, the other drivers seemed a bit tentative or had brief moments of traction loss because of the conditions. Then, Russell came in way too hot to a turn, went off straight and got stuck in the gravel. Red flag to get him out, and by the time it went back green, the track was way too wet for slicks, and since the intermediate tires are like 8+ seconds a lap slower than slicks, no one could possibly get a better time than any that had already been set, so no one even tried, and the last 6 minutes or so was empty track and loud Haas fans in the crowd cheering on KMag.

PowerPoster

I was thrilled that George got his first win, and that Lewis got 2nd.

The late VSC->Safety Car definitely caused some shuffling in the positions behind that because of varying tire ages/compounds/strategies.

Max gets the B* of the day award by a longshot. Him not giving the place back to Perez on the last lap was a giant dick move, regardless of whatever "reasons" he's apparently given the team in the past about not asking him to swap positions with Perez. Everything Max can achieve has been locked up, the only remaining award from Red Bull's standpoint is the 2nd place driver, and Max absolutely owes it to the team to give that position back to Perez to help him with the battle for 2nd with LeClerc. Very disappointed.

I believe Perez and LeClerc go into next week tied in points. And Mercedes are still within striking distance of overtaking Ferarri for 2nd in the constructor's championship. That should make things interesting. Max can get booted on lap 1 next week for all care.

Quote Originally Posted by OptionBase1 View Post
    I was thrilled that George got his first win, and that Lewis got 2nd.

The late VSC->Safety Car definitely caused some shuffling in the positions behind that because of varying tire ages/compounds/strategies.

Max gets the B* of the day award by a longshot. Him not giving the place back to Perez on the last lap was a giant dick move, regardless of whatever "reasons" he's apparently given the team in the past about not asking him to swap positions with Perez. Everything Max can achieve has been locked up, the only remaining award from Red Bull's standpoint is the 2nd place driver, and Max absolutely owes it to the team to give that position back to Perez to help him with the battle for 2nd with LeClerc. Very disappointed.

I believe Perez and LeClerc go into next week tied in points. And Mercedes are still within striking distance of overtaking Ferarri for 2nd in the constructor's championship. That should make things interesting. Max can get booted on lap 1 next week for all care.
    I am so dissapointed about Max, her sure did forget that he once call Checo "A Legend".
    very very sad Day for Red Bull
    to hunt a species to extinction is not logical !
    since 2010 the number of Tigers are rising again in 2016 - 3900 were counted. with Baby Callas it's 3901, my wife and I had 2-3 months the privilege of raising a Baby Tiger.

PowerPoster

Yeah, selfish move by Max. Hurt his team.

Well, it took Mercedes a little longer than I thought to get a handle on this new car but they are definitely a contender again. Sort of a shame that's there is still just three teams that are contenders and it's the same three teams. But I do like the new car, seems to have improved the racing.

PowerPoster

There's a bit of poetic justice that Lewis holding up Perez for a couple laps is probably what kept Perez from passing LeClerc at the end for 2nd place in the driver's championship.

What a great season. Mercedes seem primed for consistently competing for wins and podiums come next year, so having three teams and 6 drivers in the mix up front each race is hopefully in the cards.

PowerPoster

Re: Verstappen 3x World Champion ?

Let me be the first to offer congratulations to Max on a 3rd straight driver's title, and Red Bull on back to back Constructor's titles.

Ferrari starting off in 2023 doing 2022 things...

I'm officially rooting for Aston Martin to be 2nd in the constructor's championship this year. The Aston Martin/Ferrari/Mercedes battle for 2/3/4 in the constructor's race should at least be competitive throughout. I don't see any of the other teams being a "close" 5th place.

Yeah, I think the battle this year is going to be fore 2nd & 3rd, possibly 4th with Aston Martin doing pretty good.

But. What the heck was going on with Ocon? A total of 35 seconds in penalties? O.o

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

PowerPoster

That was a pretty dominant Red Bull showing. Except for the Aston Martin surprise, it looks a lot like last year. Not sure where McLaren fits in, both cars were basically out of it early. Could be pretty boring at the front.

Doesn't look like the HAAS team is improving, I was hopeful after qualifying but that didn't last long.

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by wes4dbt View Post
    Doesn't look like the HAAS team is improving, I was hopeful after qualifying but that didn't last long.
    Meet the new Haas, same as the old Haas.

Meet the new Haas, same as the old Haas.
    Wash, rinse, repeat ad nausium.

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

WOW, yeah, I thought Sunday's race was incredible. Being old enough to be Alonso's father, I was thrilled to see the old guy on the podium. I couldn't believe the passes he made. I was literally clenching my gut, on the edge of my seat, watching him do that.

And yeah, I've been a Verstappen fan for a few years, and it was good to see him win. But his wins are starting to get as boring as Hamilton's wins in prior years. It looks like Red Bull is just going to run away with it again this year.

It's going to be delightful to see Alonso fight with Ferrari and Mercedes through the year though. And WOW, Alonso is an incredible team player. I've never been a Lance Stroll fan (and still making up my mind about his dad), but Alonso support of Lance has me taking a second look at him. Yeah, maybe he sort of "cheated" (using daddy) to get an F1 seat, but so did Nikki Lauda (for whom I have enormous respect). So, if Lance can step it up, I'll support him.

Also, geez, Aston Martin, the original car of James Bond, it's hard to not support a team with that name.
    Any software I post in these forums written by me is provided "AS IS" without warranty of any kind, expressed or implied, and permission is hereby granted, free of charge and without restriction, to any person obtaining a copy. To all, peace and happiness.

PowerPoster

Max and Charles both starting way back in the pack should make for some exciting moments. If Max struggles to make his way to the front, I'll be 100% rooting for Alonso for the win. Hopefully it is a clean race.

Yawn ... I stopped watching around lap 30. MAx was in 2nd at the time. I'm assuming i didn't miss anything and MAx won ...

-tg

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by techgnome View Post
    Yawn ... I stopped watching around lap 30. MAx was in 2nd at the time. I'm assuming i didn't miss anything and MAx won ...

-tg
    No, Max had some mechanical gremlins and basically coasted to 2nd place with Perez getting the win. Alonso was on the podium, then he wasn't because of a crazy post-race assigned penalty, then the penalty was rescinded and he was back on the podium.

The Safety Car was absolutely BS. The excuse apparently was that the GPS on the car indicated that it was still out on the track? ***. There's cameras everywhere and stewards everywhere, how about using eyes instead of GPS? It was 99% behind a wall, and in a position where it would be impossible to be hit by another driver in the race without breaking the laws of physics. Clearly there didn't even need to be a VSC let alone a full Safety Car. Two stewards could have pushed it forward from the front wheels without ever being anywhere near danger.

PowerPoster

No, Max had some mechanical gremlins and basically coasted to 2nd place with Perez getting the win. Alonso was on the podium, then he wasn't because of a crazy post-race assigned penalty, then the penalty was rescinded and he was back on the podium.

The Safety Car was absolutely BS. The excuse apparently was that the GPS on the car indicated that it was still out on the track? ***. There's cameras everywhere and stewards everywhere, how about using eyes instead of GPS? It was 99% behind a wall, and in a position where it would be impossible to be hit by another driver in the race without breaking the laws of physics. Clearly there didn't even need to be a VSC let alone a full Safety Car. Two stewards could have pushed it forward from the front wheels without ever being anywhere near danger.
    The results probaly would have been the same. The Red Bull cars are so much faster than everyone else. I don't know what was up with Max's car, not sure he was going to catch Perez, but he put in a blistering last lap to get the fastest lap point. He must have harvested as much energy as possible before the last lap.

HAAS got a point. Good day. lol

I'm really surprised at the performance of the Aston Martin. It looks like the first race wasn't a fluke.

PowerPoster

I couldn't stay awake for the entire Live broadcast and missed a good portion of the second half of the race. I woke up in time to be partially awakt for the Red Flag shenanigans for the last few laps.

ESPN2 replayed the race this morning (in a 2.5 hour broadcast window, with commercials), but for some reason they completely cut out chaotic the 2-lap-to-go restart that resulted in the Alonso spin, and Alpine's crashing.

They basically went from K-Mag's crash->Red Flag->Final lap behind the Safety Car. The dumb thing is they kept in the entire Red Flag coverage earlier in the race, which was like 15 minutes of pointless discussion, and then they cut out arguably the most impactful piece of the race? I don't get it. I was half asleep for all of the live broadcast discussion of how they were going to line up for that final "restart", and for the discussion of the Sainz penalty, and I was hoping to be able to see it again.

Oh well, it was a very crazy race, but for being a crazy race, it was quite boring.

PowerPoster

The ending was strange. I don't know how you ignore the positions of the cars when the flag came out. HAAS lost out on several points. Hulk was shown in 4th.

The F1 rules seem more like suggestions. Then the stewards do what they want. lol

OP1 you got to get a DVR.

I paid the $80 bucks this year to get a subscription to the F1 app. I like it. When the race is going on, it's got both the F1-specific and the international feeds, so you can take your choice. Also, you can drop into any driver's overhead car camera (and hear their radio) anytime you want (sort of becoming your own producer). Occasionally, they even forget to turn off the individual car feeds, and you can hear the mechanics talking when they're in the pits (or garage).

Not to be a salesman for it, but I like it.

And the Australian race? I've become a Fernando fan so I was thrilled with the way they did it. Hey, it's racing, and stuff happens. And poor ole Stroll got to come in behind Fernando. I'm not totally convinced Lance should be out there, but hey ho ... Aston Martin is looking exciting this year. And who can't root for James Bond's car.
    Any software I post in these forums written by me is provided "AS IS" without warranty of any kind, expressed or implied, and permission is hereby granted, free of charge and without restriction, to any person obtaining a copy. To all, peace and happiness.

The ending was strange. I don't know how you ignore the positions of the cars when the flag came out. HAAS lost out on several points. Hulk was shown in 4th.

The F1 rules seem more like suggestions. Then the stewards do what they want. lol

OP1 you got to get a DVR.
    It's the regulations ... they sate that if there is an incident where there is a question as to the order of the cars at the time a red flag happens, the last timed setting should be used. Because the red flag was called before the cars crossed the Sector 1 timing line, they went back to the oder of the last know timing... which was the start line from the restart. They also had as part of that regulation to do it as quickly as possible. Otherwise, they could have gone to the video and examined exactly where everyone was at the moment the red flag was thrown. But that would have taken some time. And they were on the verge of approaching the 3hr time limit... HASS then argued that the SC2 line should be used. I think they declined that because not all cars had fully crossed it by the time the flag came out (I could be wrong about that)... It was kind of a messed up situation with no real way to make everyone happy.

-tg

Quote Originally Posted by Elroy View Post
    And who can't root for James Bond's car.
    Ernst Blofeld has a digit for you.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by Elroy View Post
    I'm not totally convinced Lance should be out there
    He's more than proven his ability in F1 IMO. I would say he's got at least a 50% chance to podium this year given AM's current pace vs. the field.

PowerPoster

If today's Sprint is an indication of what the race will be like tomorrow, I am very excite. Ferrari looks like they can hang with Red Bull, and Aston Martin and Mercedes look like they will be battling as well.

PowerPoster

I was surprised Max didn't pass Leclerc. Perez made it look easy.

But I sure wouldn't bet against another Red Bull 1,2.

This seems like the type of year that the most fun I'll have is rooting against Red Bull. lol

PowerPoster

I'm very surprised that Red Bull botched the pit stop decision for Max when the Safety Car was imminent. That cost Max the win.

Between F1 putting the clamps on teams hanging off the fencing to celebrate the checkered flag, and now today's fiasco where the pit lane was crowded with people jumping out of the way when Ocon pitted at the very end, I expect pit lane safety to be very much front and center, and I would imagine there is going to be very tight restraints on who can go where in the pit lane while the race is still in progress.

Indeed, there shouldn't be anyone in pit lane during the race, exccept for (obviously) pit stops ... and as for celebration and media, they shouldn't be allowed into pitlane until AFTER the checkered flag and the first car has crossed the line.

-tg

PowerPoster

Watching Max glide through traffic for the first 15 laps or so was the only moderately exciting thing in the race today. Despite Red Bull's dominance, Perez didn't drive away from the field while Max was battling traffic, which surprised me. It is races like today's that demonstrate how much better of a driver Max is than Perez.

At least there is still a tight race between Aston Martin, Mercedes, and Ferrari. I'm hoping Stroll can consistently get some better results, since Alonso can't hold on to 2nd place in the constructor's championship for Aston Martin all by himself.

PowerPoster

It was impressive what Max was able to do with 20 lap older tires than Perez. I'm also impressed with Alonzo. But five races and five Red Bull 1,2 is not very entertaining. I'll keep watching because I love auto racing. But NASCAR and Indy car are much more exciting to watch.

On the bright side, HAAS scored a point. USA USA!!! lol

PowerPoster

Perez needs to rewatch all of his recent fails over the past 2+ years every time he feels butt-hurt that Verstappen gets #1 treatment at Red Bull.

PowerPoster

Perez needs to rewatch all of his recent fails over the past 2+ years every time he feels butt-hurt that Verstappen gets #1 treatment at Red Bull.
    Yeah, the best way to solve that problem is to out drive Max, Good luck. lol

He is the only one to even have a chance to be Max this season. At list he has the same car. Perez picked the worse track possible to have to start from the back of the pack. I don't expect a very exciting race tomorrow but I'll have it on while I'm fixing my Sunday breakfast. After breakfast, Indy 500, looking forward to that.

PowerPoster

It sucks that not even the late rain yesterday could generate much race/strategy excitement. I really wish Alonso had immediately gone to Intermediate tires for his first stop. Max was far enough ahead that he wouldn't have been at risk, but it would have at least made the final laps more interesting. A track that is almost impossible to pass on makes for mundane racing.

PowerPoster

The announcers sure tried their best to make it sound like it could become exciting. lol

Sort of a shame that this race is one of the rare times they show F1 on one of the major channels, think it was ABC. Had over a hour of prerace hype. Then the follow the leader began.

But the Indy 500 had a crazy finish. I was amazed how close all the top runners stayed to each other the entire race. Great race.

PowerPoster

But the Indy 500 had a crazy finish. I was amazed how close all the top runners stayed to each other the entire race. Great race.
    In the past, Indy has seemed to "extend" cautions needlessly, so the way they handled the end of the race yesterday was a big win for the fans.

The crash with the tire flying over the fence, watching it live I could tell that it missed the grandstands, but from the broadcast angle, it was impossible to tell what the area where it landed was like, as far as if it was a ground level where fans would be milling around, etc. When the broadcasters were mum about the fact that it even happened for several minutes after the crash, I was very concerned that it hit people, who would have almost certainly been killed instantly. Seeing that the only damage done was to the front end of a parked car was a huge relief.

PowerPoster

The crash with the tire flying over the fence, watching it live I could tell that it missed the grandstands, but from the broadcast angle, it was impossible to tell what the area where it landed was like, as far as if it was a ground level where fans would be milling around, etc. When the broadcasters were mum about the fact that it even happened for several minutes after the crash, I was very concerned that it hit people, who would have almost certainly been killed instantly. Seeing that the only damage done was to the front end of a parked car was a huge relief.
    You were at the race. Cool.

That was scary looking. People have been killed in the past but this is the first time in a long that I've seen that happen.

PowerPoster

You were at the race. Cool.

That was scary looking. People have been killed in the past but this is the first time in a long that I've seen that happen.
    Nonononono. Watching the live broadcast. They didn't show a replay for several minutes, and once they did, they mostly showed replays that didn't show the flying tire, and they certainly didn't say anything about the tire for I would estimate at least 5 minutes, perhaps closer to 10.

PowerPoster

Nonononono. Watching the live broadcast. They didn't show a replay for several minutes, and once they did, they mostly showed replays that didn't show the flying tire, and they certainly didn't say anything about the tire for I would estimate at least 5 minutes, perhaps closer to 10.
    Oh, to bad. lol

Yeah, I didn't notice the tire when the wreck first happened. It did take them a long time to show it. Then the angle made it look like it was going into the stands. Sort of a miracle it didn't hit anyone, with 300,000 people there.

They need to look at improving the tire tether or make the fence another 25ft higher.

Yeah, that tire thing was pretty scary. When they did the first replay of it, you can just catch a glimpse of it smashing into a car. The rest of the replays after that were more centered on what was happening on track, so you don't get to see what happened to the tire. It also happened so fast and with the concentration on the car itself, it's possible that no one noticed the tire until they start going through the footage to see what they have and it was pointed out to the commentators, and/or they wanted to confirm it hadn't hit any spectators before saying anything.

My other thought was why the heck did he open his helmet while skidding and there's sparks all around? I'd have kept it closed. He ran a risk of something getting in there and causing more damage.

-tg

PowerPoster

Wow, LeClerc knocked out in Q1. Somehow Ferrari is doing way worse than they were last year, and last year was a disaster. I wonder when they might bring back Charles Nelson Binotto.

PowerPoster

And again.

PowerPoster

Qualifying was a little strange. A Ferrari out in the first round. Perez and Russell out in the second. Alonzo starting 8th. To bad Max hasa1/2 second on the field Wont be a race for the lead. But looks like may be a lot of passing going on behind him.

PowerPoster

Qualifying was a little strange. A Ferrari out in the first round. Perez and Russell out in the second. Alonzo starting 8th. To bad Max hasa1/2 second on the field Wont be a race for the lead. But looks like may be a lot of passing going on behind him.
    Yes, this race has a lot of UTI potential (back to front).

Page 14 of 17 FirstFirst ... 411121314151617 LastLast