Page 10 of 17 FirstFirst ... 78910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Hamilton 5x World Champion ?

PowerPoster

Re: Hamilton 5x World Champion ?

Quote Originally Posted by OptionBase1 View Post
    With all of the shenanigans in F1, it wouldn't surprise me in the least if Mercedes was running something they can turn on/off that purposely causes the breaks to heat up (or prevents them from cooling down) so that that heat then transfers to the tires, and they use that system on starts/restarts/pit stops as a way to get a heat boost into cold tires.
    lol, I'm sure they would if they could get away with it.

Just read an article on the F1 braking system. There range is 300C to 1000C. That's hot hot.

With all of the shenanigans in F1, it wouldn't surprise me in the least if Mercedes was running something they can turn on/off that purposely causes the breaks to heat up (or prevents them from cooling down) so that that heat then transfers to the tires, and they use that system on starts/restarts/pit stops as a way to get a heat boost into cold tires.
    Funny you should mention that... looks like there is some kiind of magic switch, and it's designed to help heat the tires...
    https://www.skysports.com/f1/news/24...g-magic-switch

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

Quote Originally Posted by si_the_geek View Post
    It will probably take a few days for the full answer to come, but Pirelli think it was due to debris - after Max crashed they saw from other cars (including Lewis) that there were serious cuts in tyres, most likely caused by debris.

It does seem odd that Stroll had the issue earlier, but it is easily possible that there was a minor crash in the early laps that left a small bit of debris.

Hopefully they'll manage to work out a way of preventing similar issues in the rest of the season.
    I sure hope thy find the issue, I mean at thast speed the car could have gone anywhere.
    I can't remember which year or what Team it was (in Spa I think), but the Car took of like a plane into the sky due to the front or rear wing breaking. I don't want to think what would of happed if that rear tire damaged the rear wing and sent Max or Stroll into the sky.
    to hunt a species to extinction is not logical !
    since 2010 the number of Tigers are rising again in 2016 - 3900 were counted. with Baby Callas it's 3901, my wife and I had 2-3 months the privilege of raising a Baby Tiger.

Ya know... I'm starting to think that in qualy, if you cause a red flag that causes the rest of the session to be canceled, that you shouldn't be allowed to move to the next session, but should immediately fall to the bottom of the current session, giving the chance to someone who stood a chance. Mick should have been dropped and Latifi been given a chance to move into Q2. Just my two centavos....

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

PowerPoster

Nice to see Mercedes get out-strategized for a change. I don't blame them for keeping Lewis out, since it wasn't a slam-dunk that Max was going to have enough tires to catch and pass him.

I'm calling it now. Bottas loses his Mercedes seat before the season is done. I know Mercedes made some sort of statement earlier that they don't do midseason swaps like other teams have done (a slam against Red Bull), but I'm thinking Bottas' profane tirade on the radio after he got passed by Perez is just a small glimpse into building tensions between himself and the team. They tried to downplay the reasoning behind the chassis swap, but I'm pretty sure that was to prove to Bottas that Lewis isn't getting the "better" car week to week. I'm pretty sure he's the kind of competitor that isn't motivated by struggles, but regresses instead. If so, the season will likely get no better for him, and that means Red Bull almost certainly wins the constructor's championship.

PowerPoster

A little early to call championships. But I've been very pleased at the competitiveness of Red Bull. In years past Mercedes would have blown right by the Red Bull once they got within DRS range. I'm looking forward to seeing if Red Bull can keep the pressure up.

As for my team, HAAS. It's amazing how far they have slipped. The first couple of years they were competitive mid pack, now they are by far the worse team.

Quote Originally Posted by wes4dbt View Post
    As for my team, HAAS. It's amazing how far they have slipped. The first couple of years they were competitive mid pack, now they are by far the worse team.
    I'm wondering if Haas thinks maybe it was a mistake, and that the only reason they're still around is due to some contractual obligation.

-tg

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by techgnome View Post
    I'm wondering if Haas thinks maybe it was a mistake, and that the only reason they're still around is due to some contractual obligation.

-tg
    you could be right. It's my understanding the reason they got these two drivers is it made it easier to get funding. I looked it up a while back and the amount of money needed was crazy. But on the bright side, it's easy to follow them on the leader board. Just look at the bottom. lol

PowerPoster

A little early to call championships. But I've been very pleased at the competitiveness of Red Bull. In years past Mercedes would have blown right by the Red Bull once they got within DRS range. I'm looking forward to seeing if Red Bull can keep the pressure up.

I didn't call a championship. I stated that "If so," [Bottas gets stuck in a struggle/regression loop] "the season will likely get no better for him, and that means Red Bull almost certainly wins the constructor's championship."

There's a big if and an almost certainly in there. That's not calling anything. At this point I'd give Red Bull probably a 60% chance to win the constructor's championship.

Last year Lewis Hamilton alone beat Red Bull for the constructor's championship. This year, that obviously won't happen. That's my point. Mercedes needs Bottas to start getting consistent podiums if they want to win the constructor's championship. And his starting grid penalty tomorrow is not a good start for him.

PowerPoster

Bottas does seem different this year. Angier, more vocal and complaining a lot. Time will tell what affect it has on his results. It could be that he is just getting more air time this year and this is normal. Could be the result of his bad results so far. The close Mercedes - Red Bull battle has made the racing more interesting.

PowerPoster

It was a shame Perez was just a lap or 2 away from the 2 stop strategy getting them ahead of Bottas. Still a net gain by Red Bull in the constructor's championship, and Max adds a few more points to his lead over Hamilton.

Red Bull with 4 wins in a row. Before the season started I would have never thought that was going to happen. Kudos to Red Bull for putting in work to improve their car significantly over last year.

PowerPoster

Nice to see Lando Norris on the front row, and Mercedes back in 4th and 5th. Alonso got totally screwed at the end of Q2, hopefully he can make up a ton of positions in the race tomorrow. Nice to see Russell make Q3 for the first time in the Williams car. It would be great if he could score his first Williams points tomorrow.

With the softer tires used this week versus last week, there will likely be a good bit of strategy again in terms of 1 stop vs. 2 stop. It is shaping up for another good race.

PowerPoster

Norris has been qualifying great this year. Wish his results matched. He seems like an excellent driver so I'm not sure why they don't. Maybe the car is harder on tires. Seems if they were behind on power they wouldn't qualify so well. If Max can pull out to a 3 second lead or more he should be able to handle any strategy by just letting Mercedes make the first move. Especially if Perez can cover Bottas. Max has a chance to put a lot of pressure on Hamilton. It'll be interesting.

Norris has been qualifying great this year. Wish his results matched. He seems like an excellent driver so I'm not sure why they don't. Maybe the car is harder on tires. Seems if they were behind on power they wouldn't qualify so well. If Max can pull out to a 3 second lead or more he should be able to handle any strategy by just letting Mercedes make the first move. Especially if Perez can cover Bottas. Max has a chance to put a lot of pressure on Hamilton. It'll be interesting.
    I was curious about that, so I looked it up and here's how Lando's been doing so far this year:
    Race --- Start / Finish
    Bahrain - - 7 / 4
    Emilia - - - 7 / 5
    Portugal - 7 / 5
    Spain - - - 9 / 8
    Monaco - 5 / 3
    Azerbaijan - 9 / 5
    Emerates - 8 / 5
    Styria - - - 5 / 5

Styria and Spain seem to be the only outliers, all other times he finishes at least two places better than where he started.
    Now, what's interesting is the FP results...
    Track - Practice - Place - Time - Gap - Laps
    Styria - FP1 - 16 - 1:06.861 - - +0.951s - - 35
    Styria - FP2 - 7 - - 1:05.994 - - +0.582s - - 39
    Styria - FP3 - 19 - 1:06.654 - - +2.285s - - 19

Austria - FP1 - 10 - 1:05.880 - - +0.737s - - 28
    Austria - FP2 - 9 - - 1:05.466 - - +0.943s - - 34
    Austria - FP3 - 15 - 1:05.700 - - +1.109s - - 23

What's interesting is that FP3 seems to be slower than even FP1... and then they pull something out during qualy... so either FP3 is sandbagging, or they are figuring out something in those runs that allows them to turn it up during qualification. I'm pulling this data from here on the F1 site. .. what ir doesn't show is what tires they are running, so it could be that they are running the hard compound in the later practice, which might explain the time differentials.

It is definitely going to be a race to watch. Max & Lando on row 1, with both Mercs behind - and not even right behind, as they are split between rows 2 & 3... the first couple of laps are going to be something different that's for sure.

I think with no traffic in front of him, if he can get a decent start, he can keep it out front and stands a good chance at a podium.
    My prediction:
    Podiums for Max and Lando. Hamilton and Perez duke it out. Bottas will get frustrated at some point, do something stupid and end up with a DNF. Leclerc sticks his nose into a spot where it doesn't belong and takes out either Stroll or Russel. Despite it all, Vettel doesn't finish in the top 10.

We'll see how I do.

-tg

PowerPoster

Well I was wrong. Wonder how that got in my head.

All I can think of is maybe I was seeing him in Q1 and Q2 near the top of the board. I also didn't realize he was 4th in points. He is having a hell of a year. Anyway thanks for the heads up.

PowerPoster

Re: Verstappen 1x World Champion ?

Great day for Max.

Thought all of the "passing" related penalties were a bit much. Once they penalized the first one, though, I can't blame them for penalizing all the others since they were all essentially the same. Perez was driving mad the whole day it seemed, and thankfully his two penalties only ended up costing him 1 position, barely.

Norris looked awesome. Bottas and Hamilton looked very underwhelming. I was devastated for Russell when he got passed late by Alonso.

The last lap incident between Vettel and Kimi for a non-points position was really idiotic.

Max extends his lead over Hamilton, and Red Bull add a couple more points over Mercedes. All in all, a good race.
    Last edited by OptionBase1; Jul 5th, 2021 at 11:18 AM.

Well I was wrong. Wonder how that got in my head.

All I can think of is maybe I was seeing him in Q1 and Q2 near the top of the board. I also didn't realize he was 4th in points. He is having a hell of a year. Anyway thanks for the heads up.
    Neither did I ... he's bee quietly moving up there. He's certainly been having a great year.

Great day for Max.

Thought all of the "passing" related penalties were a bit much. Once they penalized the first one, though, I can't blame them for penalizing all the others since they were all essentially the same. Perez was driving mad the whole day it seemed, and thankfully his two penalties only ended up costing him 1 position, barely.

Norris looked awesome. Bottas and Hamilton looked very underwhelming. I was devastated for Russell when he got passed late by Alonso.

The last lap incident between Vettel and Kimi for a non-points position was really idiotic.

Max extends his lead over Hamilton, and Red Bull add a couple more points over Mercedes. All in all, a good race.
    Yeah, those penalties... ungh... seemed a bit too much, but once they handed out that first one, they were kind of forced to hand out the rest. Makes me wonder a bit if Lando hadn't been handed his if he'd been able to hold on to 2nd. Unfortunately we'll never know.

Between that and Newgarden finally getting the monkey off his back and Penske getting their first win this season, it was a good day for racing.

-tg

Lando's never been the same since he lost the Millenium Falcon.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

PowerPoster

Between that and Newgarden finally getting the monkey off his back and Penske getting their first win this season, it was a good day for racing.
    Yeah, Penske has been snake bit this year. I'm a Will Power fan, couldn't believe it when he lost the race because his car wouldn't start after the red flag. Yesterday he was fighting back aggressively when Dixon pinched him down to far. When they showed to reply you could see them side by side, Power up against the curb, Dixon in the middle of the track and moving toward Power. I think Powers aggressive rep and Dixons Mr. Wonderful rep got Dixon a free pass. Maybe it could be called just a "racing incident" but there wasn't even any discussion.

You didn't mention the Nascar race. Good race, lot of different leaders, maybe you forgot because it's hard to tell them apart from F1. lol

That's a lot of racing for one day but if you record them, fast forward through the commercials and yellow flags, it saves a lot of time. Plus Sunday is my couch potato day, a day to give this old body a rest.

It was a good race, and seeing Bristol-born Lando do well is always nice (and is becoming more expected).

Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy Hiker View Post
    Lando's never been the same since he lost the Millenium Falcon.
    That is where Lando got his name - his dad is a Star Wars fan

The first one was dubious, and I think it shouldn't have been a penalty - but some of the later ones definitely deserved it.

It was really bad, I can only assume that they were both feeling a bit exhausted and were having a bit of brain fade. As they have won 5 world championships between them (and deserved at least 8), they should be capable of avoiding such madness, but accidents happen.

What's interesting is that FP3 seems to be slower than even FP1... and then they pull something out during qualy... so either FP3 is sandbagging, or they are figuring out something in those runs that allows them to turn it up during qualification. I'm pulling this data from here on the F1 site. .. what ir doesn't show is what tires they are running, so it could be that they are running the hard compound in the later practice, which might explain the time differentials.
    The practice sessions get used in a variety of complex ways that make them hard to interpret, but as a general rule FP1 is about working out the best settings for the car, FP2 is about optimising qualifying performance, and FP3 is about optimising race performance.

Each team does things a bit differently tho, and at various times they also do things differently for some race weekends depending on the circumstances.

Quote Originally Posted by tg
    My prediction:
    Podiums for Max and Lando. Hamilton and Perez duke it out. Bottas will get frustrated at some point, do something stupid and end up with a DNF. Leclerc sticks his nose into a spot where it doesn't belong and takes out either Stroll or Russel. Despite it all, Vettel doesn't finish in the top 10.

We'll see how I do.
    That was a good set of predictions, and was pretty accurate

Well the first sprint qualifying is in the bag. It was different. I also felt it was either 7-12 laps too long. It should have been a 5-lap shootout, or 10 laps... 17 was too much I thought. I also think it's going to end up "pre-sorting" the cars for the race, and it's not going to lead to anything other than a 90-lap parade.

-tg

PowerPoster

I also think it's going to end up "pre-sorting" the cars for the race, and it's not going to lead to anything other than a 90-lap parade.

-tg
    Sergio Perez will be very disappointed to hear that.

PowerPoster

Let's see if "Sir" Hamilton avoids a (clearcut) penalty on his home track. They better not just "note" that move, he totally dumped Max while having plenty of room to his right to have avoided it.

This was definitely not fair how Hamilton celebrated his win.
    As if nothing had happened

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by Arnoutdv View Post
    This was definitely not fair how Hamilton celebrated his win.
    As if nothing had happened
    The second Lewis took the checkered flag I had to turn it off. So disappointing for Red Bull. I guess the silver lining is that both the driver's and constructor's championship battles just got much, much, much closer.

The Sprint race seems to be a good idea, it just needs some adjustments - I'm expect they'll try other ways to do it later in the year (2 more sprints are planned).

The crash between Max and Lewis wasn't good (it seems they could both have avoided it, but Lewis more than Max). The size of the penalty is debatable, but the stewards made their decision having more evidence than us.

It's good to see that Max seems to be fine (and Lewis did check that early on), so Lewis celebrating as he did made sense - it was only later that Lewis learned that Max had been to hospital for further checks.

The points are now much tighter, so that is likely to make the rest of the championship more exciting.

Ha hahaahaaaa.....
    https://twitter.com/BanterSteiner/st...491712/photo/1
    Its a parody account... buy still... seems like a valid and sound tactic...

-tg

A 'demolition' race would certainly make the news if it happened!

I suspect the penalties for attempting it would be rather harsh tho.

Well, they are looking for ways to "spice" it up and get more viewers... I'd watch.

-tg

PowerPoster

What an absolute disastrous start of the race. Bottas the clown.

PowerPoster

That standing restart with Lewis Hamilton all by himself might be one of the strangest, funniest, and largest strategic blunder in recent F1 history.

What a disastrous start by Bottas and Stroll.
    They completely ruined the race within 20 seconds.

The restart was indeed the most funny moment of the last years

PowerPoster

Excluding the start, it was a fantastic race. Lewis charging through the field was awesome, Alonso holding him off lap after lap was fantastic. Williams with the double points finish was epic.

Lewis seemed really, really exhausted or worse there after the race. Right before the ESPN coverage ended, he looked like he was almost going to collapse from the podium. He was bent over and looked like he was shaking. I sincerely hope he is ok.

I’m a little biased, but it was indeed a fantastic race.
    Kudos to Alonso, he was able to hold off Hamilton so Ocon could win the race.

Well, here's the answer to the question I had - what would have happened if Hamilton had pitted along with everyone else, and the grid was empty?
    https://www.racefans.net/2021/08/02/...s-on-the-grid/

-tg

Not F1 related ... but still one heck of a read...
    https://www.macsmotorcitygarage.com/...of-l-w-wright/
    How is it that I've never heard of this story before?

-tg

PowerPoster

Not F1 related ... but still one heck of a read...
    https://www.macsmotorcitygarage.com/...of-l-w-wright/
    How is it that I've never heard of this story before?

-tg
    that's a cool story. lol

I'd never heard about it.

If I had the skills, I'd see if I could turn this into a screenplay of some kind. I think it would work well. Something between Ricky Bobby and Days of Thunder...

-tg

That is a pretty funny story. I've heard of things like that in other sports. I think a guy talked his way into refereeing in the NFL for a day, or something like that.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

Wet the heck happened in Spa?! 4+ hours to go 2 laps! That was insane. Even the commentators were running out of things to talk about. Not that I would have wanted to see them race in those conditions - after seeing what happened in qualifying, I shudder to think what would have happened.
    I laughed at this bit -
    Max: "It's all good up here - let's go!" Everyone else: "We can't see sh$^!"
    The outcome doesn't surprise me though... Some where around 1:15 left on the clock, I remember thinking that they should jsut run two to three laps under SC and then call it... which is what they ended up doing. They could have delayed it to the next day, but there's no guarantee that weather would have improved, plus as the commentators noted, there may have been an issue finding marshals sufficient for the event.

-tg

Page 10 of 17 FirstFirst ... 78910111213 ... LastLast