Thread: New to Vb.net. Need help deciding on right component for a 'TaskList' type program.

New to Vb.net. Need help deciding on right component for a 'TaskList' type program.

Hello, I used to use VB6 and MZtools. There was a taskilst in the MZtools that I thought would be very useful to me as a Win application.
    I wish to recreate this as a stand alone app for my own uses.

I want to display an icon or two in some of the columns.
    I am VERY new to .NET and VB.net.
    I know that a listview will display icons and columns, but I can seem to use it right.
    I have tried ListBox, but am not experienced enough to use it correctly either.

Which one is going to be the better fit for this project.

I simply want and app that will load a list into a grid-ish type view and display icons in some columns.
    Be able to make changes and save the new list.

Can anyone point me to examples of things like this that a BEGINNER can make sense of?
    I am struggling terribly with the 'new' IDE and the Dot.Net methods so any spoon feeding would be appriciatied.

I picked this project because I 'thought' it might be a easy beginners project and useful.
    Maybe this is too advance to start with? I dont know.
    Thank you

Re: New to Vb.net. Need help deciding on right component for a 'TaskList' type progra

It's quite likely that a DataGridView would be better than either, if you only want a tabular layout. If you want to use multiple views or groups then you'll find that the ListView is the better option. The ListBox does support owner-drawing for more complex items but, in general, it should be used for simple list items only, i.e. one value.

That said, I'm coming at this with the assumption that you're using Windows Forms. If you're using WPF then the controls available are much more flexible.