Thread: I have a function in VB6 where I am trying to return a string from the function

Post I have a function in VB6 where I am trying to return a string from the function

So here is a code snippet. The error I am getting is "Function call on left side of assignment must return Variant or Object". I changed the function return to a variant data type, but that did not help.

I am trying to generate a random string using function calls. Because it is a large number of sub tables I want to maintain the tables separated like so instead of in a single long series of code for ease of maintainability.

If this is not viable, can anyone suggest an alternative method of doing this?

Private Function GenAstStrategicResouce() As Variant

Dim X As Integer

X = Int((200 * Rnd) + 1)

If X < 10 Then
    GenStrategicResouce = "Bose-Einstein Condensates"
    ElseIf X < 20 Then
    GenStrategicResouce = "Diamonds"
    End If

End Function

PowerPoster

Re: I have a function in VB6 where I am trying to return a string from the function

Code:
    Private Function GenAstStrategicResouce() As Variant

Dim X As Integer

X = Int((200 * Rnd) + 1)

If X < 10 Then
    GenStrategicResouce = "Bose-Einstein Condensates"
    ElseIf X < 20 Then
    GenStrategicResouce = "Diamonds"
    End If

End Function
    See bolded. Your names are mismatched, the variable name needs to match the function name.

PowerPoster

Re: I have a function in VB6 where I am trying to return a string from the function

Also if you want to return a string you should probably change Variant to String on that first line.

A side from that is the intention not to return anything 90% of the time? If not then you may want to look at the logic a bit.

Yes, just to follow-up on Data's comment, if X >= 20 then you'll return an Empty type Variant. And it's not at all clear that that's what you'd want. If the function were declared as a String, then you'd return a zero-length-string. Or, another alternative is to add an Else with a GenAstStrategicResouce = vbNullString statement in it.

And, as Option stated, fix your name-mis-matches.

Good Luck,
    Elroy
    Any software I post in these forums written by me is provided "AS IS" without warranty of any kind, expressed or implied, and permission is hereby granted, free of charge and without restriction, to any person obtaining a copy. To all, peace and happiness.