Thread: Reference Material for Direct X?

Question Reference Material for Direct X?

Hello all.
    So I've begun learning Visual Basic 6.0, as apposed to .net, mainly because I'm not a fan of .net (or their watered down C# they call basic), and I'm looking for reference materials for Direct X. Here's the thing, though. I'm totally, legally blind, which makes using the IDE (especially the toolbox and other parts of the IDE which require drag and drop), very difficult, if not impossible. I'll be using direct X to create games for the blind, which means I don't have to hassle with Direct 3D or Direct Draw. I've not been able to find any documentation regarding Direct Sound or Direct Input. Does anyone know where I can find such documentation?

Hyperactive Member

Re: Reference Material for Direct X?

Hi nvbasic! Welcome to the forum! We're glad to have you here!

It took me a while to locate the DirectSound and DirectInput documentations, but I eventually found them thanks to Wikipedia's articles here and here. Microsoft has been moving all of their documentations to a new site for quite some time now and it seems they've purposely omitted links to those two deprecated APIs in their Windows API Reference page.

BTW, while searching for those two APIs, I came across these DirectSound and DirectInput tutorials. I thought you might be interested in them, in case you haven't yet chance upon them.

Also, during my search, I discovered this interesting website: AudioGames.net. From their FAQ:

What is AudioGames.net?

AudioGames.net is a site dedicated to audio games (games based on sound) and blind-accessible games. Originally this site started out as a database of audio games only, but due to the massive response of the blind community, we've broadened the scope of the website. On this website you can find:

• the biggest online archive of audio games and blind-accessible games (including developer links, download links, descriptions, audio reviews, and other information about the games)
    • articles on audio games and blind-accessible games (ranging from popular web articles to academic research)
    • cheats, walkthroughs and trainers for audio games and blind accessible games
    • a list of mods of existing audio games and blind accessible games
    • a forum to support the community
    • Submit-a-Game functionality, through which you can add games to the archive yourself
    • a huge link-list, linking to the most important links in the field
    One particular thread in their forum caught my attention: If It Ain't Broke, Don't Fix It, Or Why I've Chosen to Lern [sic] VB6. Apparently, it's not just VBForums that has VB6 vs VB.Net wars.

Hi nvbasic,

Yes, welcome to VBForums. We're delighted to have you.

Regarding DirectX, one of the first decisions you're going to have to make is which version of DirectX you're going to use. The options are, basically, DX8 or DX9. DX9 does a few things that DX8 doesn't do. Also, it has the advantage of being pre-installed with all contemporary versions of Windows. However, the downside is that, to use it with VB6, you'll have to use something called a TypeLib. I haven't used Direct Sound or Direct Input for my purposes, but one of our members (The Trick) has done a great deal of work to try and get all the DX9 pieces to work with VB6.

Now, the other option is DX8. It has the large plus of being directly compatible with VB6 (i.e., no TypeLib needed). Once you have access to it, you just make the API calls, and you can do anything you like with it. However, the downside here is that it's not pre-installed on the latest versions of Windows. But there's not really anything to install. All you have to do is get a copy of the dx8vb.dll file and place it in the same folder as your VB6 program, and you're up and running. (You can also register this dll if you like.) The dx8vb.dll file is freely distributed, and can be found in many places. When I use it, I tend to use this version:

Name:  dx8.png
Views: 76
Size:  16.8 KB

My copy has a CRC32 checksum of C07AD36E.

If you go the DX8 route, you'll also probably want to find a copy of directx8_vb.chm. This is the associated help file. Once you get it from somewhere, just double-click it, and all the DX8 help should be available to you.

I wish you the best of luck with your project,
    Elroy
    Any software I post in these forums written by me is provided “AS IS” without warranty of any kind, expressed or implied, and permission is hereby granted, free of charge and without restriction, to any person obtaining a copy. Please understand that I’ve been programming since the mid-1970s and still have some of that code. My contemporary VB6 project is approaching 1,000 modules. In addition, I have a “VB6 random code folder” that is overflowing. I’ve been at this long enough to truly not know with absolute certainty from whence every single line of my code has come, with much of it coming from programmers under my employ who signed intellectual property transfers. I have not deliberately attempted to remove any licenses and/or attributions from any software. If someone finds that I have inadvertently done so, I sincerely apologize, and, upon notice and reasonable proof, will re-attach those licenses and/or attributions. To all, peace and happiness.

PowerPoster

I've got an massive DirectX typelib in the works (probably won't be released this year), but i was pretty sure DirectInput was a very simple API. If you need a typelib for it, either myself or Trick can set that up in short order.

Also I can vouch for Trick's DirectSound typelib. Good luck!