Thread: In all Honesty I don't know how to read/write XML files

In all Honesty I don't know how to read/write XML files

I know its crazy to be coding now for uh 3 years, and still not know databases, and xml files. As of right now, I am saving data into plain text, which is probably not the most ideal. I have worked on my web-browser project just for fun the last 5 years, publicly released in 2015, at first it didn't even have a way to save your history and for my newbie self I only used the internet control provided in VS. I later outgrew that and began learning in more depth. And switched to an open-source engine which it is built around. blah blah blah - onto the question/discussion:

Currently I save, and write all the webbrowsing history manually (sort of speak) in plain text.

I have come here before, and had help even improving WHERE the files are stored, however its HOW they are stored that is now come to pass that needs improved.

How would you do this in xml? - Keeping everything pretty straight forward would be appreciated, I am starting to introduce myself with storing data more, as that is important to where I am in terms of learning/polishing my knowledge.

Code:
        Public Sub Save_History()
            Dim HistoryPath As String = Environment.GetFolderPath(Environment.SpecialFolder.ApplicationData) &
                             "\.\LightBrowseData" &
                             My.Settings.History
            Dim file As System.IO.StreamWriter
            file = My.Computer.FileSystem.OpenTextFileWriter(HistoryPath, True)

file.WriteLine(CType(TabControl1.SelectedTab.Controls.Item(0), GeckoWebBrowser).Url.ToString())

file.Close()
        End Sub
    Disclaimer: When code is given for example - it is merely a example.

Unless said otherwise indicated - All Code snippets advice or otherwise that I post on this site, are expressly licensed under Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International Please respect my copyrights.

PowerPoster

Re: In all Honesty I don't know how to read/write XML files

Addicted Member

A Google search for "simple xml database" should pull up some info if it is a small database app your looking for, I found some interesting tutorials on Youtube.

Once you get past the point of creating a datatable with a few data columns I'm pretty sure you will get further help on this forum with writing the code to add, delete and modify the data in your new database.

Quote Originally Posted by jdc20181 View Post
    I know its crazy to be coding now for uh 3 years, and still not know databases, and xml files.
    Databases? I'm a little surprised. XML files? I've been at VB.NET for 15 years and barely know anything beyond the most common types used. What I think is crazy is that you thought that posting here was your best first option rather than searching the web for yourself. I've been known to chastise beginners for not searching first on occasion. Someone with your level of experience really ought to know better. No one has to know everything but how to at least find the basic information on a subject is something that anyone with reasonable levels of computer experience should know these days.

I know that there are those - perhaps even yourself - who will say that this post was unnecessary and unhelpful. I say that if it causes you to think to search first in future, whether by encouragement or guilt, then it has been helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by jmcilhinney View Post
    What I think is crazy is that you thought that posting here was your best first option rather than searching the web for yourself.
    I already spent much of the afternoon searching, reading, searching, reading repeat. Everything was either irrelevant to the task at hand, was for asp.net, or just was plainly awful in terms of amount of code it took to do something I already do with maybe 5 or 6 lines. I shouldn't need 50 lines to do one thing. I think one codeproject article I was reading had like 100-150 lines of code just to create a xml file. didn't even include reading.

Code:
        Dim doc As XDocument = XDocument.Load("HistoryStorage.xml")
            For Each historyitem As XElement In doc.<history>.<entry>
                Dim url As String = historyitem.<url>.Value
                Dim title As String = historyitem.<site>.Value
                ListBox1.Items.Add(url & " - " & title)
            Next
        End Sub
    (Currently the path to the file is local, when its released its in the app data file)

Looked over other's comments - pretty much the same thing, not detailed enough, isn't what I am looking for, or just plainly is more effort than its worth to do a simple task.

I should be able to do something similar writing as the same as I did with plain text. All I need to do differently is create the element, and nest the data into it.

I am sure I will figure it out before I go into work tomorrow.

Unless said otherwise indicated - All Code snippets advice or otherwise that I post on this site, are expressly licensed under Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International Please respect my copyrights.

Frenzied Member

I do not think that it is anything crazy that you have never used XML or a database yet. You just did not have any Need to use these.
    What would be crazy is if you say that you never gonna need it and therefore have no interest in learning it.
    As a developer you are constantly challenged to learn new stuff and i think you are on the right way if you question if you maybe could do something better by learning new techniques.

First Thing to note on XML files is that they are designed to store hierarchical data. For the way you plan to use it to store browser history this means that it does not give you any benefit as your data is flat and not hierarchical. but if you gonna store all your config to an XML as well, that could benefit from the hierarchical nature of XML. you could for example have a "Favorites" node with Folders and links underneath.

here is a super simple example on how to create an XML file:
    Code:
        Private Sub Button1_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles Button1.Click
            Dim xml As New Xml.XmlDocument
            Dim NewMainNode As Xml.XmlNode = xml.CreateElement("MainNode")
            xml.AppendChild(NewMainNode)

For i As Int32 = 0 To 10
                Dim ChildNode As Xml.XmlNode = xml.CreateElement("ChildNode" & i)
                ChildNode.InnerText = "This is child #" & i
                NewMainNode.AppendChild(ChildNode)
            Next

xml.Save("c:\kill\test.xml")
        End Sub
    there are multiple ways on how to read/write XML. The one i prefer is shown above and uses the Xml.XmlDocument class. be prepared that you will find other examples using different classes, so be careful not to mix them up.

Google "vb.net xml serialization"
    That's going to be the simplest way. Takes like 5 lines of code to serialize/deserialize something. So if you have your history in something like a List(Of) (which I hope you do) ... then it's a simple, easy peasy thing to do.

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

If using a file I prefer to use XElement. Here is some code with several sample sites. The last three sites are worth reading.

Code:
            Dim smplSites As New List(Of String)
            smplSites.Add("http://www.vbforums.com/forumdisplay.php?25-Visual-Basic-NET")
            smplSites.Add("https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/vstudio/en-US/home?forum=vbgeneral")
            smplSites.Add("")
            smplSites.Add("")
            smplSites.Add("https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/dotnet/api/system.xml.linq.xelement?view=netframework-4.7.2")
            smplSites.Add("https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/dotnet/visual-basic/programming-guide/language-features/xml/embedded-expressions-in-xml")
            smplSites.Add("https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/dotnet/visual-basic/programming-guide/language-features/xml/xml-literals-overview")

Dim histPath As String = "put path to xml file here, i.e. c:\foo.xml"
            Dim hist As XElement

'to load from file
            ' hist = XElement.Load(histPath)

'for testing use literals
            hist = <histories>
                   </histories>

'save the sample sites
            For Each Site As String In smplSites
                ' XML literals and embedded expressions are the last two sites
                If Site <> "" Then
                    Dim aHist As XElement = <hist lastvisit=""><%= Site %></hist>
                    aHist.@lastvisit = DateTime.Now.ToString
                    hist.Add(aHist)
                End If
            Next

'a simple query
            Dim qry As IEnumerable(Of XElement)
            qry = From s In hist.Elements
                    Where s.Value.Contains("docs.microsoft")
                    Select s

'look at results
            For Each qr As XElement In qry
                Stop
            Next

'to save
            ' hist.Save(histPath)
    My First Computer -- Documentation Link (RT?M) -- Using the Debugger -- Prime Number Sieve
    Counting Bits -- Subnet Calculator -- UI Guidelines -- >> SerialPort Answer <<

"Those who use Application.DoEvents have no idea what it does and those who know what it does never use it." John Wein

Frenzied Member

Many major browsers (i.e., Firefox and Chrome) use SQLite for history so it's time to learn databases.

Quote Originally Posted by dbasnett View Post
    If using a file I prefer to use XElement. Here is some code with several sample sites.
    That actually worked better than expected. Thanks. I think what happened was everything was confusing there was a dozen different ways to do the same thing, but all with variants of the expected results.

I ended up writing out, myself - the loading part of the task at hand - This works pretty good too, was surprised at the speed, as I have had issues with loading text files into listboxes before:

Code:
          Dim doc As XDocument = XDocument.Load("HistoryStorage.xml")

Dim data As String = doc.<history>.<url>.@lastvisit

For Each item As XElement In doc.<history>.<url>
                ListBox1.Items.Add(item.Value & " - " & data)
            Next

Quote Originally Posted by topshot View Post
    Many major browsers (i.e., Firefox and Chrome) use SQLite for history so it's time to learn databases.
    Oh I know I keep putting it off, its one of those I need to do it but, don't have the focus to pull it off. Figured I will eventually get there one step at a time.

Redacted due to an error ~ jdc

Oh for the love of god! The forum glitched on me - Will edit out one of those replies

Alright so, one last question, I am doing this pretty straight forward based off the example presented, I just am curious, why each time I navigate to a page it overwrites the last bit of data? I want it to ADD to the data, not overwrite/replace. I am confused on why it is occuring this way?

Quote Originally Posted by jdc20181 View Post
    That actually worked better than expected. Thanks. I think what happened was everything was confusing there was a dozen different ways to do the same thing, but all with variants of the expected results. ...
    There are differences in XDocument and XElement. I like XElement because you can use literals and because of queries. See https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/dot...ng-an-xelement

When I started with XML I was using all of the different approaches. I am glad I settled on XElement. My advice is pick one and stick with it.
    My First Computer -- Documentation Link (RT?M) -- Using the Debugger -- Prime Number Sieve

"Those who use Application.DoEvents have no idea what it does and those who know what it does never use it." John Wein

Quote Originally Posted by dbasnett View Post
    There are differences in XDocument and XElement. I like XElement because you can use literals and because of queries. See https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/dot...ng-an-xelement

When I started with XML I was using all of the different approaches. I am glad I settled on XElement. My advice is pick one and stick with it.
    I am just having issues now with the part where it saves the entries initially, it isn't saving existing ones, rather it is overwriting them and saving only the new entry. Which is kinda confusing, I even added a create new element part, maybe unneccessary but still trouble shooting to try and fix it. (I already closed the project and going to be going soon so I will post the code later)

I did something like dim xelement blah blah = new xelement (<url> %ctype.control.url.string%</url>) I will post my full code later, as I was trying to avoid asking for much more help but, this one has got me stumped.

XML, imho, is easier with examples. Here is a class that encapsulates some basic functionality

Code:
    Public Class BrowsingHistoryWeb

Private _HistFilePath As String 'path to history file
        Private Shared ReadOnly rootProto As XElement = <history></history>
        Private Shared ReadOnly urlProto As XElement = <url lastvisit=""></url>
        Private _hist As XElement

Public Sub New(HistFilePath As String)
            Me._HistFilePath = HistFilePath
            If Not IO.File.Exists(Me._HistFilePath) Then
                Me._hist = New XElement(rootProto)
            Else
                Me._hist = XElement.Load(Me._HistFilePath)
            End If
        End Sub

Public Sub SaveHist()
            Me._hist.Save(Me._HistFilePath)
        End Sub

''' <summary>
        ''' add / update a url
        ''' </summary>
        ''' <param name="URL">the url</param>
        ''' <param name="LastVisit">if not specified use DateTime.Now </param>
        ''' <remarks></remarks>
        Public Sub AddHist(URL As String, Optional LastVisit As DateTime = Nothing)
            Dim lv As String
            If LastVisit = DateTime.MinValue Then
                lv = DateTime.Now.ToString
            Else
                lv = LastVisit.ToString
            End If

Dim qry As IEnumerable(Of XElement)
            qry = From u In Me._hist.Elements
                    Where u.Value = URL
                    Select u Take 1

If qry.Count = 1 Then
                qry(0).@lastvisit = lv
            Else
                Dim foo As New XElement(urlProto)
                foo.Value = URL
                foo.@lastvisit = lv
                Me._hist.Add(foo)
            End If

End Sub

Public Function GetURLs(Optional InTheLast As TimeSpan = Nothing) As List(Of String)
            Dim rv As List(Of String)
            If InTheLast.Ticks = 0L Then
                'return all
                rv = (From u In Me._hist.Elements
                        Select u.Value).ToList
            Else
                'return urls visited in the last ??? specified by InTheLast
                Dim dt As DateTime = DateTime.Now.AddTicks(-InTheLast.Ticks)
                rv = (From u In Me._hist.Elements
                        Let ud As DateTime = DateTime.Parse(u.@lastvisit)
                        Where ud >= dt
                        Select u.Value).ToList
            End If
            Return rv
        End Function
    End Class
    To test it
    Code:
            Dim smplSites As New List(Of String)
            smplSites.Add("http://www.vbforums.com/forumdisplay.php?25-Visual-Basic-NET")
            smplSites.Add("https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/vstudio/en-US/home?forum=vbgeneral")
            smplSites.Add("")
            smplSites.Add("")
            smplSites.Add("https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/dotnet/api/system.xml.linq.xelement?view=netframework-4.7.2")
            smplSites.Add("https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/dotnet/visual-basic/programming-guide/language-features/xml/embedded-expressions-in-xml")
            smplSites.Add("https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/dotnet/visual-basic/programming-guide/language-features/xml/xml-literals-overview")

Dim histPath As String = "c:\foo.xml" '<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
            Dim hist As New BrowsingHistoryWeb(histPath)

'save the sample sites
            For Each Site As String In smplSites
                ' XML literals and embedded expressions are the last two sites
                If Site <> "" Then
                    hist.AddHist(Site)
                    hist.AddHist(Site) 'checks that update works
                End If
            Next
            smplSites = hist.GetURLs
            smplSites = hist.GetURLs(New TimeSpan(0, 0, 30, 0, 0)) 'last 30 minutes

' hist.SaveHist ' SAVE <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

I attempted to just create a new element, and add it to the document - I kinda wanna be straight forward and not have a bunch of hassle with classes and such.

This unfotunately just did the same thing as the original sample code given, which basically overwrites the existing for the new. so it ends up being one line. I simply want to try and not have that happen...without having to use more effort than its worth.

Code:
            Dim histpath As String = "HistoryStorage.xml"
            Dim histload As XDocument = XDocument.Load(histpath)
            Dim hist As XElement
    hist = <history>
    </history>
      Dim aHist As  XElement = New XElement(<url>CType(TabControl1.SelectedTab.Controls.Item(0), GeckoWebBrowser).Url.ToString()</url>)
            aHist.@lastvisit = DateTime.Now.ToString
            hist.Add(aHist)