Thread: Picked up an older [okay it is old] "VB6 For dummies" book at a thrift shop

Picked up an older [okay it is old] "VB6 For dummies" book at a thrift shop

I just find things handy, especially since it is still used some, but just was curious, to start a conversation, what was the first literature related thing you got that got you learning to code or got you interested into it? I have always been interested, since I remember first using a computer, but never REALLY coded until 12/13, and then started here in 2015, and published my first project to the world.
    Disclaimer: When code is given for example - it is merely a example.
    See my browser project BeffsBrowser
    Try my new Browser project LightBrowse "A Browser and not much else" Screen Capture with Imgur API

Unless said otherwise (e.g. From one of my projects thus, those are mostly licensed under MIT) - All Code snippets advice or otherwise that I post on this site, are expressly licensed under Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International Please respect my copyrights.

Re: Picked up an older [okay it is old] "VB6 For dummies" book at a thrift shop

I got a book on OCR, because I misunderstood the title...which I now forget. The concepts were pretty interesting, though.

I started without books, just by trial and error, so by the time I bought that book, I knew I had an interest, and knew what I was trying to learn. I moved on from there to a couple books on C/C++ and a couple books on ASM (I forget which came first), then Petzold.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

I suppose it was the original hand book that came with my C64, although I do remember buying a book on 6502 assembler some time later so I suppose that was the one that got me into programming.

Sinecure devotee

I guess in my case it was probably my junior or senior year of high school. We didn't have computers. The school still had manual (not electric) typewriters for typing class (which I didn't take, as we had an electric Smith Corona typewriter at home that came with a self teaching 10-day touch typing course on five small 33 1/3 rpm records).

Personal electronic calculators were still pretty new and rare at that point. My best friend's father had a small company he had started and hired a college engineering student over Christmas break for something. My friend was also working for his father during that break and the college student had an HP-25 programmable calculator (49 steps, no permanent memory or reader, so any program had to be entered by hand when you powered it on, and would go away when you turned it off).

The student allowed my friend to take the calculator home to play with during the christmas break period. My friend showed it to me and allowed me to take it home to play with for a while over the break as well. There was a simple lunar lander simulation game that you could type in and play. I read about how to program the keys, how the RPN stack worked, and after trying some of their programs from the book decided to write a little program of my own that would do long division in a loop, returning one digit at a time like you would if you were doing it on paper. That way you could divide any two integers out to any number of digits you wanted, you would just have to record each digit yourself by writing it down.

It was then that I discovered things like if you divide any number by 7, you get a repeating six digit sequence and the sequence is always the same order. That is
    1/7 = .142857_142857_142857...
    2/7 = .285714_285714_285714...
    3/7 = .428571_428571...
    etc....

So, on occasion when it happened that someone was wondering what some value divided by 7 was, I could rattle off the answer to six or more digits after the decimal point fairly quickly without writing anything down or using a calculator (which weren't that common yet).

Also discovered that some other division by primes resulted in repeating digits, x/13 results in six digits repeating as well, and x/17 results in 16 digits repeating.

In any case, seeing how some simple games could be programmed using the calculator, and how I could write my own programs with the calculator got me to thinking that perhaps programming computers would be something that I could do, would enjoy doing, and be a viable source of income as a career. My dad bought me my own HP-25 as a high school graduation present. I think it could be had for around $125 at the time. They later came out with the HP-25C which would retain the program when you powered the calculator off, but I never got one (I did get the HP-16C programmers calculator about 7 years later).

I bought my first personal computer, an Ohio Scientific C-1P (Challenger 1P) about two years after High School, and never looked back. But it was a bit non-traditional. Didn't get to college, learned how computers work and how to maintain them and related equipment while in the Navy, and transitioned from Field Engineering maintenance after leaving the Navy into Software Engineering based on experience over time with a company by helping out the "real" Software engineers and getting pulled into doing software work for them until I was "adopted" into the department and became a Software Engineer by proxy.
    Last edited by passel; May 9th, 2018 at 03:51 PM.

Introduction to BASIC - it was a workbook that went along with the coding camp I took... It's very possible that it is still in my stuff some where. After that came stacks of PC World magazines, and then the Turbo Pascal User Guide and Reference Book, followed by Oh! Pascal ... That I know I still have, I spotted it the other day. I've got a number of other books on patterns, designs, and other language agnostic stuff. A couple of which I should probably break out and re-read.

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

An obscure body in the SK system. The inhabitants call it Earth

For me it would have been computer games magazines in the 80s. They used to give you complete code for a game which I would faithfully type into my ZX Spectrum... and then spend the rest of the month staring blankly at it trying to figure out why it didn't work. Thinking about it, my development practices haven't changed that much over the years.
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter - Winston Churchill

Hadoop actually sounds more like the way they greet each other in Yorkshire - Inferrd

Frenzied Member

I'm guessing it must have been a Basic manual that came with the Apple IIe. I didn't really do much other than create a program to roll some credits for a video project in high school. I didn't really know I wanted to code until what ended up being my effective junior year in college and had to create programs to design motors and transformers, which forced me to find some books to relearn Fortran I had pretty much ignored 5 years earlier. Then built and programmed a microcomputer in another class. I should have been a CS rather than EE. Now they offer Software Engineering as well at Rose-Hulman, which being from Indiana is really where you should go if you can afford it.

Quote Originally Posted by FunkyDexter View Post
    For me it would have been computer games magazines in the 80s. They used to give you complete code for a game which I would faithfully type into my ZX Spectrum... and then spend the rest of the month staring blankly at it trying to figure out why it didn't work. Thinking about it, my development practices haven't changed that much over the years.
    That made me laugh... #MeToo

-=tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

King of sapila

I got this +-1000 pages "monster" right next to me right now, snaring.
    Jamsa's C/C++ Programmer's Bible
    https://books.google.com/books/about...AJ&redir_esc=y

Actually read this one, once.The whole thing!
    Anyhow,that was not my first book, I had to go to college to acquire programing books. I was much more enjoying reading game books (the Greek magazine "Pixel" was like reading a, playboy, those days ) .
    I was mostly trying things myself or from floppy disks or basic or pascal examples, or MS DOS(hell yeah!) with no book. Can't say that I really "enjoy" reading programming books anyhow but I can say that an assembly book i had (can't recall the name, is laying somewhere in the house but can't find it) was a book that I enjoyed. Since I started messing with the assembly interrupts, that was very enjoyable to read!

Ah, I think I had an MS DOS (love MS DOS) that I also enjoyed but but was given with a new PC as copied notes from another book. Note sure it counts. That was my first "book" . Read it and till a few year back I could spell the alphabet with the MS DOS commands . Windows 95 come out....Snow and winter, despair, hatred, agony. I still got a sparkling eye when I enter a command prompt!

King of sapila

Yesterday I first read: "Picked up an older [okay it is old] "VB6 For dummies" book at a lift shop" .
    Excited, put my vintage black mask on and got my duffle bag ready...
    Then I realized that it was a: "yourrr fiiiirst prograaaammiiiing booookk.." Bleaaaahh, booooring. So I spiced this up a little.

Edit. If ever in Athens, in monastiraki you can find about 100 thrift shop's in the same vicinity,some items in there may have acquired from a liftshop .

https://www.google.com/search?tbm=lc...0!2i818!4f13.1
    Last edited by sapator; May 11th, 2018 at 09:08 AM. Reason: keyboard fart - optional

Quote Originally Posted by sapator View Post
    (the Greek magazine "Pixel" was like reading a, playboy, those days ) !
    Not unless your magazines were a whole lot different than the ones we had.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

King of sapila

I mean it in how much you get excited reading it (yes, you might gotten one also reading it .!. ). Excuse moi, me Englisho ne pas bene etc :P

Quote Originally Posted by jdc20181 View Post
    I just find things handy, especially since it is still used some, but just was curious, to start a conversation, what was the first literature related thing you got that got you learning to code or got you interested into it? I have always been interested, since I remember first using a computer, but never REALLY coded until 12/13, and then started here in 2015, and published my first project to the world.
    I guess it would be an introductory book from a class on an overview of computer processing. That was around 1982. The environment was a little different then
    Please remember next time...elections matter!

You don't want to know.

For me it was probably chapters in elementary school books about LOGO. Later I encountered chapters about TI-BASIC but we didn't have calculators. It was a few years later when I HAD the calculator that I was like "Oh, this is what the book was talking about..." and started poking at it.

A teacher around that time gave me a Pascal manual, I ended up with the Dietel & Dietel Pascal book too before long. From there I bought too many books to remember.
    This answer is wrong. You should be using TableAdapter and Dictionaries instead.

King of sapila

Quote Originally Posted by Sitten Spynne View Post
    For me it was probably chapters in elementary school books about LOGO.
    Been there. That damn turtle wouldn't move where i told it to! We may have had a book there but I can't remember. Usually and since that was an expensive and fast PC I played Defender of the crown instead of using LOGO.