Page 1 of 9 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: How Many People are Sticking around Until the end of VB6

Hyperactive Member

How Many People are Sticking around Until the end of VB6

Hello Group,

I currently have 5 products on the market written in VB6 (entrepreneur) . These products have evolved over the last 10-15 years. I have not come to the point where vb6 has limited the functionality in my software.

To that point, I just cannot find the motivation to move to another development platform.

My question is, is that common among you guys on this forum? If VB6 were to break what is your backup plan? Do you think it is irresponsible to wait until it breaks? I feel that point when it breaks will be the only way i will be motivated to move on...

I have spoken with many upgrade consultants, and many of them have cautioned me on moving languages, they say that they have seen many companies go out of business because of the time spent migrating, made them loose their edge in the market. Because they are spending time trying to get to the same place, when their competitors are working on new features...

Any wisdom, opinion, or approaches will be greatly appreciated.

Hyperactive Member

Re: How Many People are Sticking around Until the end of VB6

Quote Originally Posted by yereverluvinuncleber View Post
    This does not help much toward a VB7 but it may provide a new native home for VB6. I mentioned ReactOS in an earlier post but then it was truly in its infancy. 0.4.8 has just been released, it is still very much alpha-grade o/s that should only be run in a VM but it now installs and runs VB5, which you can see in the forum post here:

start=1125#p130485

Hopefully, we can test VB6 next and pray the result will be as positive. ReactOS being based upon Windows server 2003 will be a natural and familiar home for VB5/6 development and not being from Microsoft, forced obsolescence will not be part of the culture. ReactOS and VB6 are made for each other it is just a pity that ReactOS is written C, C++ and that you can't as easily contribute...

Long live VB6!

You also have to think about your own personal time horizon. When I first saw that subject line, my first thought was, "gee, I sure hope so..." Aside from that, it's a valid point. If you're in your thirties or forties, then you have a pretty long time horizon. If you're nearing, at, or past retirement, then why switch?

I kind of figured I'd be coding for a long time. Now, I'm wondering whether there will be any point past retirement. VB6 is likely to last another ten years, and may well last longer....or Windows might go away and render it moot. If you have the option of retiring when and if that happens, maybe you don't even what happens.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

Quote Originally Posted by axisdj View Post
    I have not come to the point where vb6 has limited the functionality in my software.
    That statement rings very true for me as well. It's somewhat concerning that I can't compile a true 64-bit program, but that really doesn't cause me any big concerns either.

I think Shaggy is right. I think we can get at least another good 10 years out of it. It's probably going to be the possible (but, IMHO, very unlikely) demise of Windows that gets us before anything else.

My primary project is just so terribly involved, that it's orders-of-magnitude-overwhelming for me to think about moving it to another language. That's precisely why I can still generate a significant level of indignation over what Microsoft did to us when it abandoned the COM architecture as a primary language.

I still hold out hope (but probably pointless) that Microsoft will release VB7 (or VB6.5, or whatever). And I still insist they have most of the internal expertise to do it. How else could they maintain their VBA code? The only piece they're possibly not maintaining is a compiler to get from p-code to binary code. Heck, from my perspective, I'd take a VB7 IDE (COM based) that only compiled to p-code. And if it compiled both 32-bit, and 64-bit, that'd be incredible.

Take Care,
    Elroy
    Last edited by Elroy; Apr 20th, 2018 at 01:01 PM.
    Any software I post in these forums written by me is provided "AS IS" without warranty of any kind, expressed or implied, and permission is hereby granted, free of charge and without restriction, to any person obtaining a copy. To all, peace and happiness.

PowerPoster

The lack of support is the big thing, but we seem to have reached the point where all desktop and server application developers are being ignored. Even .Nutters must be getting a bit irritated at so little that is new getting coverage aside from WinRT and Azure. At least they still get wrappers, code samples, "open source" libraries, and docs to cover newer things though.

When Windows comes to a halt VB6 programmers are in trouble. If you seriously expect that to impact you (coming sooner than 10 years and you will still need Windows as your platform) then you ought to be exploring alternatives now. If the horizon is actually 10 years or so guessing trends can be pretty tough. Most of the "world" outside of Windows + VB6 experiences very rapid churn and direction changes.

Don't hitch your wagon to the vaporware star though. There are people making big promises of a VB6 alternative but so far there is very little to see. If it ever happens that's another story, but it doesn't look like a good bet right now.

PowerPoster

Well.. personally I plan to keep every thing that was written in VB5 or 6 in VB6 as long as possible. I also still write some stuff in VB6 but I also use other languages so I am in no way locked into VB6 or even VB in general [and yes VB.Net is also VB like it or not] but I like being able to use it.

Hyperactive Member

To add to the discussion,

If you had a new product idea today that can be done in VB6 5X faster than moving to another language, would you do it in VB6 or move on?

WP

PowerPoster

I would most likely use VB6 in such a case but would also try to write it in such a way that it would be easy to port to a different language if it did well.

Hyperactive Member

Quote Originally Posted by DataMiser View Post
    I would most likely use VB6 in such a case but would also try to write it in such a way that it would be easy to port to a different language if it did well.
    That is a very smart way to put it. All new projects I have started since 2010 only use the bare controls in vb6 and is written in way that can easily be re-written in another language, currently my backup language/ide/compiler is Lazarus.

Hyperactive Member

We sell to some large companies and it is getting problematic

* Support is getting harder. So many things are web apps\services\hosted elsewhere that I'm seeing a lot of "IT system engineers" who can't follow basic instructions such as "Replace the old program.exe file with the new one" because they don't have any other client\server apps that they support and have no experience.

* Desktops computers are being locked down. Automatic application updates are impossible because the users dont have rights to their computers anymore and running installers requires coordination with too many teams making updates takes days vs minutes

* Security requirements are changing due to hacks. The most recent example is tls 1.3 for sql connections. Fortunately, microsoft relented and did provide a solution (https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/sql...or-sql-server/).

I think the day will come that some critical component will be hacked or left behind and we will be forced to move.

I'd never consider a rewrite (https://www.joelonsoftware.com/2000/...ver-do-part-i/) but would move from desktop to the web. We do interface with hardware so we will still need software on but I'd imagine it would only need to post to the webapi and would be less work to support and develop.

Glad I'm not really in that boat. Daughter, youngest child, just turned 17. Only need my job for a few more years. After that -- headed to a country (still window shopping) where I can live very comfortably on my military retirement, some investments & whatever social security I'll get if it still exists.
    Insomnia is just a byproduct of, "It can't be done"

Classics Enthusiast? Here's my 1969 Mustang Mach I Fastback. Her sister '67 Coupe has been adopted

Newbie? Novice? Bored? Spend a few minutes browsing the FAQ section of the forum.
    Read the HitchHiker's Guide to Getting Help on the Forums.
    Here is the list of TAGs you can use to format your posts
    Here are VB6 Help Files online

{Alpha Image Control} {Memory Leak FAQ} {Unicode Open/Save Dialog} {Resource Image Viewer/Extractor}
    {VB and DPI Tutorial} {Manifest Creator} {UserControl Button Template} {stdPicture Render Usage}

To add to the discussion,

If you had a new product idea today that can be done in VB6 5X faster than moving to another language, would you do it in VB6 or move on?

WP
    How big is it?

I realized a while back that our group, which does mostly internal LOB, deals with "disposable" software: Programs that don't take so long to write that walking away from them can be done without any great pain. In fact, by chance rather than design, whenever any programmer quit, we threw out everything they did and started over. That was just chance, though. One or two wrote such interesting code that throwing it out was just easier. In another case, something screwed up when the source was archived. The archive wasn't checked, and when it was...well, that was the end of THAT project. That was a VB6 program. I played around with the program until I was familiar with how it behaved, and wrote the same program in .NET. It can't be the same (I never did figure out what one field in the DB was used for, and nobody else knew, either, so it couldn't have been all that important), but it looked and felt the same. It never got used, though, because another change came along right after that, and both programs were scrapped.

That's the advantage of disposable software. It just doesn't matter enough to worry about. Write it in whatever you want. If things change, just go a different direction. Some of the programs are pretty important in what they do, but as long as they aren't too big, change isn't really painful.

On the other hand, if you are starting into a BIG project, then I'd do my best to figure out what the future held, and go in that direction. I'd be wrong, of course, because I'm no better at predicting the future than anybody else, but maybe I'd only be wrong...ish.

Addicted Member

I currently have 5 products on the market written in VB6 (entrepreneur) . These products have evolved over the last 10-15 years. I have not come to the point where vb6 has limited the functionality in my software.

To that point, I just cannot find the motivation to move to another development platform.

My question is, is that common among you guys on this forum? If VB6 were to break what is your backup plan? Do you think it is irresponsible to wait until it breaks? I feel that point when it breaks will be the only way i will be motivated to move on....
    I keep seeing more posts like this, and I do feel mostly the same as you. I have two commercial products, also written in VB6 and although I do see a path to VB.NET or C#, I currently have no immediate plans to make a move. I am worried though, partly because it's getting harder and harder to find competent coders to help in my endeavours. I'm starting to get to the point where reaching out to other VB6 entrepreneurs is becoming more & more attractive, especially if it's in the same area. For me, that's the network/IT world.

I think migrating to another language should only happen when you feel you have more than enough resources to do so, which includes hiring others for the long haul. If your product is viable in the mobile world, I'd seriously consider thinking about that. I sure am.

PowerPoster

I'm with VB6 until it breaks. Part of why I spend so much time making my apps look like ones written in the latest VB.NET and interact with the file system like them. Same with Windows 7 (or at least until a new Windows version that doesn't spy on you, serve you ads, force updates, otherwise take away control, and always reverse what little options exist to fight these).
    Bottom line is there's no true successor to VB6 and it's still by far the best tool for standard Win32 desktop apps. .NET is just awful; if I did have to switch I'd learn C++. The way I program porting to that isn't much harder than .NET (which is basically a total rewrite too).
    The good news is, given all the legacy business applications, I can't see support ending for decades more.

The Idiot

vb6 will never break. when windows upgrades to yet another windows, it will takes years before "everyone" will move to it, during that time we will figure out how to go around it, by a new ide or emulators.

PowerPoster

If you think C++ is portable you are either writing very simple command line programs or you are fooling yourself.

If you are using exaggerated claims about Windows 10 as an excuse for staying aboard the Titanic (Windows 95, Windows XP, Windows 7) "fooling yourself" might be the more likely case. Windows 10 has lots of problems, but they aren't the ones mentioned above.

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by baka View Post
    vb6 will never break. when windows upgrades to yet another windows, it will takes years before "everyone" will move to it, during that time we will figure out how to go around it, by a new ide or emulators.
    Yes of course not everyone will move to whatever new version that may or may not come out. Some will stay with old versions, some will move to something completely different. The only thing that matters though is what your customer base is using, everyone else is irrelevant. VB6 will break, hopefully a long time from now but everything in the tech world comes to an end and is replaced by something else. VB6 has already lasted way longer than anyone would have thought.

The Idiot

well, the tools i share are quite unique and im also making games. also, its all free and im doing only stuff i want. theres no customers so i dont need to please anyone.
    so for me, the importance is only if the executable run or not. the gui is fully graphical so im making my own icons and style so even if vb6 is old theres no trace of that.

PowerPoster

If you're a SAD (Slow Application Development) programmer you might be a good candidate for FreeBasic. None of that pesky baggage like controls, events, data binding, visual designers, and so on.

Frenzied Member

Joel Spolsky of the JoelOnSoftware blog and founder and CEO of Stack Overflow has just described VB6 as "the most perfect programming environment ever created"

Programmers love Google more than Apple, but dread Microsoft

And as VB6 looks likely to last as long as Windows there seems little point in moving to a different Windows desktop language.

That doesn't mean you shouldn't look elsewhere for other programming languages to meet other requirements.
    I'd suggest JavaScript - this looks like outlasting Windows, is probably the most portable language around, and it is surprisingly similar to VB6 in many ways.

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by dilettante View Post
    If you think C++ is portable you are either writing very simple command line programs or you are fooling yourself.

If you are using exaggerated claims about Windows 10 as an excuse for staying aboard the Titanic (Windows 95, Windows XP, Windows 7) "fooling yourself" might be the more likely case. Windows 10 has lots of problems, but they aren't the ones mentioned above.
    The 2nd part is to me so I guess the 1st is too... I've had to do some some work with C++ before so no I'm not fooling myself when I say C++ isn't that much worse than .NET when it comes to re-writing vb6 apps.

And if you think my comments about Windows 10 are exaggerated, I'm afraid it's not me who's fooled myself. What claims did I make?
    Spys on you: Telemetry cannot be fully disabled, even on the Enterprise edition. MS still hasn't disclosed some of the info sent, and it's not possible to audit what they transmit. Even what they do acknowledge easily meets the bar for 'spys on you' on minimal settings: the "Basic" level collects all your hardware information and all installed programs. Yes it was backported to 7, but unlike with 10 it's easy to simply not install the update containing it.

Serves you ads: First, all sorts of junk apps/games show up as tiles. This is paid placement. Advertisements to use Edge, Office, and Skype frequently pop up in many places. Lock screen ads are enabled by default. You seriously think this isn't a problem? You've got to be kidding me.

Forces updates: If you jump through a bunch of hoops, you can disable it all together. But when you do need to update, you can no longer pick and choose which updates you want (with the exception of drivers, when the tool works).

Reverses settings: Updates frequently reset changes you've made regarding system settings. Not once, this is routine. Again, this shouldn't even be in dispute, you'll find thousands of threads of people complaining about this.

Takes away control: All of the above makes this case. You're less in control than previous versions.

If anything, I've understated the case against Windows 10. To say that the above aren't even problems, wow, you've fallen hard for MS' excuses and marketing (Like oh my gosh those app suggestions are so totally helpful!). And talking to anyone about staying on the Titanic is a little funny coming from someone still using VB6 like the rest of us

if I did have to switch I'd learn C++
    c++, apart from being a really great language..., doesn't provide anything for gui. As part of the standard, it only covers console applications. For any gui application in c++ then either you need to use direct provided OS APIs (eg Windows Win32) (which definitely are not portable) or a gui framework (MFC for Windows or QT for x-platform work etc etc). If you move to c++ from a gui language (such as VB) then not only do you have to learn c++, you also have to decide how the gui is to be provided and additionally learn that as well. Say a minimum of 2 years if you have no solid c++ experience.
    Last edited by 2kaud; Apr 21st, 2018 at 06:31 AM.
    All advice is offered in good faith only. You are ultimately responsible for the effects of your programs and the integrity of the machines they run on. Anything I post, code snippets, advice, etc is licensed as Public Domain https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/

C++23 Compiler: Microsoft VS2022 (17.6.5)

Since the mobile market is the future, Im jumping on the Android train and sticking with Android Studio. IOS will be next in due time once I get a Mac. We're at a day and age where people can now formulate their own companies and not have to work for someone else by simply making apps that generate ad revenue usings objects (or in mobile cases "widgets") such as AdMob by Google. Other than the mobile market, C++ will continue to dominate as other languages will come and go. As much as I love VB6, it's becoming more difficult to get it up and running with every new operating system without resorting to a few hacks. And that doesn't include distributing much needed runtime DLLs to get the apps working on other machines. Imagine if my Java apps in Android had to make like 30 or 40 if statements for every little thing I had to do to support all devices upto Android 1.0.

[EDIT] Call me crazy but itd be sick if someone made VB7 for Android / IOS

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by 2kaud View Post
    c++, apart from being a really great language..., doesn't provide anything for gui.
    As part of the standard, it only covers console applications.
    For any gui application in c++ then either you need to use direct provided OS APIs
    (eg Windows Win32) -(which definitely are not portable)...
    Well, that's exactly what I'm trying to tell the VB6-community for years now (here in that very forum).

Since we will have to switch (finally, at some point in time - perhaps "around 2024") -
    any investments (into learning or incorporating the Win32-API for "new stuff") are pointless and a waste of time.
    Any VB6-Code you write today, which makes calls against such libs, will not be portable (is "throwaway-code").

If you are forced to learn a new language anyways (because the Vendor of VB6 abandons it "for good" in 2024) -
    the logical thing to do is, to abandon also the *platform* (the *platform-libraries* of the same Vendor -> the Win32-API).

Quote Originally Posted by 2kaud View Post
    ... QT for x-platform work etc ...
    ... you also have to decide how the gui is to be provided and additionally learn that as well.
    Exactly.

In all other "language-camps" that fact is well-understood:
    - learning (working through) platform-independent libraries is a must nowadays

Platform-aware development means usage of:
    1) Apache, NGinx, Node.js for Application- and WebServers
    2) PostgreSQL, MySQL, Firebird for larger Backend-DBs
    3) SQLite for (App-) and local DBs or InMemory-DBs
    4) Cairo, Skia or OpenGL for antialiased, modern graphics-stuff
    5) SVG and PDF as a resultion-independent Vector-formats (directly generated PDF used for "paged Reports")
    6) QT, GTK+, wxWidgets, etc. for Desktop-GUIs
    7) one or two modern JavaScript-Frameworks (jQuery, Angular, OpenUI5, etc.) for Browser-GUIs and WebApps

Most developers in other camps do "honor" (pick from) the above list, learning how to use the relevant libraries.

On the other hand, what VB6-developers currently use (and unexplainably also *recommend* here, for developing new stuff with VB6) is:
    1) MS-IIS
    2) MS-SQLServer
    3) MS-JET-Engine (*.mdbs)
    4) MS-GDI+, MS-WIA, MS-DirectX, MS-Direct2D
    5) MS-EMF (Windows-PDF-Printerdrivers, or MS-dependent Reporting-Controls for "paged Reports")
    6) MS-CommonControls (or other MS-dependent OCXes) for Desktop-GUIs
    7) if done at all, the knowledge seems to be restricted to "dynamic concatenation of HTML-tags"

Olaf
    Last edited by Schmidt; Apr 21st, 2018 at 07:50 AM.

The Idiot

the problem here Olaf is:
    - using independent libraries, means we need to learn how to use it. that "amount" of time that takes to learn that, could be better spent learning a new language that offers modern gui and better support.

the only way, and this i have already posted before, is that VB7 gives us a modern gui and more features but still we can use our "old" code without too much re-coding.
    what i would like, is a way to use API, like we are used to, but instead of calling MS API, it will go to a "portable library" or libraries that are open-sourced and created by the community.

you also offer vbRichClient. but so far its just a failure, dll that couldn't register, code that i couldn't convert because theres no equivalent, eventually i gave up, tons of time i just wasted for nothing.
    so far windows API works. no one of the thousands of users that uses my tools complains that the exe don't work.
    theres tons of examples everywhere, a community that helps when you get stuck. why change when its going well?

that doomsday talk is just a waste of time, when we get to that point vb6 dont work anymore im sure we all can adapt and find solutions.
    also, if we want to work with smartphones, applications for mac and ios, then you are definitely in the wrong language.
    i also work with adobe flash, and i can code action script. why? because i needed that. that is how i adapt.
    you learn what you need, not what people tell you want to do.

if i really wanted to learn freebasic, i would do that and i would not be in this forum anymore. so, thanks you for suggesting me to move on, but im not there yet, i still want to work with vb.

Quote Originally Posted by VB6 Programming View Post
    I'd suggest JavaScript - this looks like outlasting Windows, is probably the most portable language around, and it is surprisingly similar to VB6 in many ways.
    Yeah, that would sure surprise me. Similarities between JavaScript and VB6:

1) They're both based in the English language character set.
    2) They both run on computers.
    3).....

Can't think of a third similarity. What am I missing? I was going to say that they both have integers, except, of course, that JS does not.

Frenzied Member

javascript can be the standard language for programming desktop applications, in the next few years. Meanwhile we can program in VB6 as usual.

PowerPoster

Java Script? Really? As far as I am concerned java script is for client side browser related code and very little else. I do not see it as being in any way like VB and would not consider it at all for desktop apps. Java maybe but not script just like I would use VB but not vb script.

PowerPoster

the problem here Olaf is:
    - using independent libraries, means we need to learn how to use it.
    Sure, any lib so far unknown to the developer, has to be learned...

that "amount" of time that takes to learn that, could be better spent learning a new language that offers modern gui and better support.
    And with the sentence above, you just demonstrated how much you have still to learn
    (about languages and libs - and how to keep those two separated in your thought-train)...

Where do you think the "modern GUI" comes from (if not from "new libs you will have to learn").

If we take fafalones example (who considers switching to C++, then starting to learn entirely new stuff there - language and library-wise)...
    Regarding libraries (and thus GUI-wise) he can now choose to either invest time to:
    1) learn the lib-interfaces of the MS-Foundation-Classes, and for modern drawing-stuff the MS-GDI+ or Direct2D-Classes
    2) alternatively (with about the same time-investment) he could learn how to use the platform-independent QT-ClassLib
    Given that the Win-OS is in decline, I'd certainly know which library I'd invest valuable time into (to write portable C++ GUIs with).

...the only way, and this i have already posted before, is that VB7 gives us a modern gui and more features but still we can use our "old" code without too much re-coding.
    Really?
    ...How do you think that shall work (in case you mean a platform-independent "new VB7"-compiler - which (language-wise) ideally works against platform-independent libs)?
    Again, the only stuff you seem to know about (graphics-lib-wise) is GDI32.dll - which is not a platform-independent lib.
    All your VB6-code you write today (Code, composed around lines which all call into that MS-lib) will never work natively on Linux or Android or iOS,
    so your entire "VB6-UserCode" (that is based on calls into gdi32.dll) will have to be rewritten (even in a new VB7 which is entirely compatible to VB6)...

Why that is so hard to understand for some people, is really beyond me...

...what i would like, is a way to use API, like we are used to, but instead of calling MS API, it will go to a "portable library"...
    Well, why don't you do so already ...
    (e.g. the cairo-flat-api is there - and easy to use from any language - if you want to avoid the RC5-Wrapper-Classes for cairo, you can do so right now).

you also offer vbRichClient. but so far its just a failure, dll that couldn't register,
    ...eventually i gave up, tons of time i just wasted for nothing.
    Well, that's a contradiction in itself (bordering on lying)...
    Because if you were not even able to register the RC5-COM-lib (registering COM-libs is "basic knowledge" for any VB6-dev) -
    you were apparently not using the RC5-lib at all (hence no chance to "waste tons of time" with it)...

...so far windows API works. no one of the thousands of users that uses my tools complains that the exe don't work.
    theres tons of examples everywhere, a community that helps when you get stuck. why change when its going well?
    Not sure in what universe you live, but this very thread here is discussing "the end of VB6"
    (which according to MS will happen within the next 6 years or so) - and what to do, to "prepare for the time after".
    And one thing is for sure: extensive knowledge about GDI32.dll (or other flat-win32-API-dlls) will definitely not help (for the time after).

...that doomsday talk is just a waste of time, when we get to that point vb6 dont work anymore im sure we all can adapt and find solutions.
    Sorry, but that's an infantile "I'll just stick my head in the sand, and be optimistic about it" kind of stance to take.
    Others (professionals who develop or maintain VB6-Apps, which ensure a monthly income) like to prepare "in advance".

if i really wanted to learn freebasic, ...
    Where is the problem?
    If all you currently do is, to work "directly against the MS-Win32-API, then you can jump right in
    (VB6-Declares for the Win32-libs are entirely compatible, when you put them into a FreeBasic *.bas module).

Olaf
    Last edited by Schmidt; Apr 21st, 2018 at 12:30 PM.

PowerPoster

Java Script? Really?
    Yes, really...

As far as I am concerned java script is for client side browser related code and very little else.
    That's just "uninformedness" on your part... (it is used for normal Desktop-Apps and also in serverside Backend-Code).
    <shrug>

I do not see it as being in any way like VB and would not consider it at all for desktop apps.
    Why not - modern JavaScript-Engines work very much "jitted" (the results being much faster than VB6-PCode-binaries).

And there's extensions (intermediate compilers) like e.g. TypeScript (which produce "plain JavaScript-code"),
    which then allow strongly typed Coding as well as "normal Class-definitions" (quite similar to how one works in e.g. C#).

Olaf

PowerPoster

So pick a pony and ride it for a while.

Even if you end up discarding it for one reason or another the experience of learning another programming language is useful.

Most of the time we are talking about more than just a language anyway. They seldom exist in a vacuum unless command-line programming is your goal and even that implies console interaction libraries as well as OS interaction libraries.

Most do not come with a complete set of tools though. You have to cobble up a bag of tools such as some sort of editor or IDE and some suite libraries to avoid coding everything from dirt. Your choices there usually dictate what sort of programs you'll be creating.

VS.Net tries to be everything to everyone and that's part of why it is so huge.

But if you want long term stability you aren't going to find much out there to compare with VB6. Such stability is both a blessing and a curse.

The original question here is sort of silly. Sticking to a single language and set of tools "until something happens" puts the burden of relearning into a big bang many won't survive. If you aren't working with alternatives already you may find you don't have a ticket when this boat drops you at the dock and leaves.

The Idiot

this is my perspective as a vb6 hobby programmer, i really don't care about professionals. if i where to "work", as one, i would learn what i need to survive.

and yes, i failed to register in one of my computers. but i do have 3 computers.
    in my first "main" computer, i couldn't make it to run in IDE, but compiled worked. there i tried to add code and compile and run, but soon realize i couldn't work like that.
    the next time i visited my other apartment i tried it and it worked, i could register.
    i spent time to understand and re-code some stuff, i got problems immediately, from bad aspect rendering, to black screens and no where to do what i wanted, a simple copy/paste rect.

i wrote that "i dont want to waste time learning if theres no big reward", even so you keep saying "do it yourself".
    well, if i really wanted that i would right? i would start researching and waste time to create something that i really dont need.
    why keep suggesting stuff when i already answered that? theres already alternatives out there.

do you really think that i will cry when vb6 don't work anymore? i can learn another language if i need. but why do i need to do it "now"?

also, as i wrote too many times already, i like working with vb6. if i want to switch i do that, even if i only use *.bas and *.cls why do i need to change language? can't i use vb just for that?

PowerPoster

The question was "How Many People are Sticking around Until the end of VB6?"

It sounds like your answer is that you plan to be one of them, a perfectly good response. You discard nearly 100% of what makes VB6 different from QBasic or FreeBasic. Ok. But then is there anything more to say in your case?

Enjoy the moment

i started about 7 years ago
    last few years i learned allot.
    today i started to touch visual studio 2008 express vb net
    i can say its only to learn something else and progress ahead
    hope vb 6 will stay.

PowerPoster

this is my perspective as a vb6 hobby programmer, i really don't care about professionals. if i where to "work", as one, i would learn what i need to survive.
    Well, you seem not to have "heavy investments" in VB6-code, so this thread is "not really for you"...
    As dillettante has already mentioned above - your contribution to the threads question would have been sufficient with a simple:
    +1

...why keep suggesting stuff when i already answered that?
    I did not suggest anything to *you personally* in this thread (please remember that this is a *public* forum)...

...do you really think that i will cry when vb6 don't work anymore?
    As said, your +1
    ("I'll wait till it doesn't work anymore - and then just rewrite my entire VB6-codebase, because it is small enough")
    was duly noted.

Olaf

You know? It dawns on me that this thread is off-base for one significant reason. This isn't 100% true, but it's pretty darned close. VB6 isn't going anywhere, and here's why.

Probably the largest thing that would knee-cap it would be the abandonment of the COM architecture of instantiating and executing code. However, if we just stop and think for a moment, the COM architecture isn't some obsolete way of doing things. In fact, it's the backbone of the VBA within all versions of Office, including the very latest versions.

Therefore, so long as the VBA exists, and Windows supports COM instantiations, we're absolutely fine.

The worst that might happen (and I even doubt this) is that MS would muck things up enough that the IDE wouldn't run. However, that just means we'd all have to do our development on machines that didn't have the latest Windows OS. I have to believe that compiled executables are going to execute on Windows machines forever.

Okay, sure, if Windows fall out of favor, we are truly in trouble. But I don't personally see anything close to resembling that anywhere on my horizons. All of my clients (hospital settings) are absolutely and completely entrenched in the world of Windows with everything they do (particularly at the workstation level, which is where I live).

Take Care,
    Elroy
    Any software I post in these forums written by me is provided "AS IS" without warranty of any kind, expressed or implied, and permission is hereby granted, free of charge and without restriction, to any person obtaining a copy. To all, peace and happiness.

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by Schmidt View Post
    Yes, really...
    That's just "uninformedness" on your part... (it is used for normal Desktop-Apps and also in serverside Backend-Code).
    <shrug>
    Why not - modern JavaScript-Engines work very much "jitted" (the results being much faster than VB6-PCode-binaries).
    And there's extensions (intermediate compilers) like e.g. TypeScript (which produce "plain JavaScript-code"),
    which then allow strongly typed Coding as well as "normal Class-definitions" (quite similar to how one works in e.g. C#).
    Olaf
    I did not say that it wasn't used for anything else. I said as far as I am concerned it is for client side browser related code and very little else.
    And no it is not like VB not at all. I doubt that it is as fast as VB P-Code but even if it is that means little to nothing to me. I don't build my apps to run as P-Code, not sure why anyone would.

I'm sure that if you add the right libraries you could do a lot with JS but the assertion was that it could be the standard language for desktop apps and to me that seems pretty far out there. Full blown Java maybe, C# more likely, but scripting of any sort is unlikely to become the standard as it is just far to easy to hack.

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by Elroy View Post
    Probably the largest thing that would knee-cap it would be the abandonment of the COM architecture of instantiating and executing code.
    Far from it (COM is essential for the Win-OS)... but theres just one little thing MS would have to announce:

"From 2024 onwards, new PCs, Notebooks and Tablets which come with a preinstalled WinOS -
    will not support (nor ship with) the 32Bit SysWow-layer anymore...
    "

That's all it would take, to catapult the remaining (actively maintained) VB6-Apps "out of business", and to make
    VB6 obsolete for anyone but hobbyists, who can of course still tinker around with it on their own older OSes or VMs.
    So it boils down to: "no 64Bit compiler, no cigar"...

No business-customer in his right mind, would want to listen to you explaining:
    "To run my App further, you should install a Virtual-Machine with an older OS on these new PCs you plan to buy" ...
    (an "older OS" mind you, which at that point in time no one can buy anymore over "regular channels").

But besides that potential "64Bit binaries only"-scenario, there is of course also the possibility that Win-Desktop-Apps
    (as well as the Win-OS itself) become more and more irrelevant - whatever happens first.

Olaf
    Last edited by Schmidt; Apr 21st, 2018 at 11:36 PM.

I expect we'll ALL be retired, or worse, before MS can let go of 32-bit SysWoW. I'm sure they'd like to, but there's just too much running on that. They've got to let it all die away before they can abandon it.

I'd say that it's more likely for Windows itself to fade to blue-screen before that happened, but that demise doesn't seem out of the question...unlikely, but not out of the question.

Frankly, I wouldn't worry about it. The more likely demise of VB6 is simply the dwindling job opportunities coupled with the increasing unlikeliness of finding a copy, learning it in school, finding books on it, finding web resources for it, and so on. That has zero impact on current users, it just has a cumulative corrosive impact. The less people hire for it, the less schools teach it, the less resources are created for it, the less people use it, and on and on in a virtueless spiral.

PowerPoster

And no it is not like VB not at all.
    Your understanding of the term "JavaScript" is an old-fashioned one (as said, seems you're not really "on page" anymore in terms of JS)...

In the meantime it is not only "a language" anymore, but considered also in terms of an:
    - intermediate language ... (kinda like "MSIL for .NET) being generated as the output from a whole lot of "full grown languages"
    - and also a platform (with large, powerful libraries - some of them already "quasi-standard", powerful rendering-capabilities, great connectivity)

I doubt that it is as fast as VB P-Code ...
    As I wrote already - modern JS-engines produce faster running assemblies than the VB6-PCode-engine.

I don't build my apps to run as P-Code, not sure why anyone would.
    I often build my Apps as PCode (to achieve smaller binaries) - just make that experiment some time
    with one of your own Apps - the differences will (for the most part) be marginal (performance-wise).

I'm sure that if you add the right libraries you could do a lot with JS but the assertion was that it could be the standard language for desktop apps and to me that seems pretty far out there.
    It is not "far out there" - it is already common practice...

...scripting of any sort is unlikely to become the standard...
    As already mentioned, even "straight JavaScript" is not really "scripting" anymore -
    and please inform yourself about WebAssembly (now part of all the main-browser-engines - even on mobile): http://webassembly.org/

...as it is just far to easy to hack.
    That's also not true, because your code sits serverside (and won't get downloaded to unauthorized clients, if you implement that).
    On top of that there's several mechanisms to enhance integrity of loaded modules:
    https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/...urce_Integrity
    And with regards to (JS or WebAssembly-based) Desktop-Apps, you can always ship your own Browser-Engine
    (in a Dll-package like e.g. Chromium) alongside your App (with disabled "Developer"- or "Debug-Mode").

So, no - not that easy to compromise this stuff...

And no, I'm not the biggest fan of it either - but to say it is "irrelevant for future App- (or Desktop-)development" would be immensely ignorant.

Olaf

Page 1 of 9 1234 ... LastLast