Thread: [RESOLVED] Code bookmark add-in?

Addicted Member

Resolved [RESOLVED] Code bookmark add-in?

I've been searching for an add-in that allows me to bookmark code in projects and name those bookmarks. I've been Googling and searching vbforums, but I'm having a heck of a time finding one

I envision bookmarks in a dockable window so I can have them on the right, where I can get to any bookmark by just clicking on it in a list. It would also be great to rename those bookmarks as needed. In my dreams they'd even have at least one level of hierarchy (folder) so there could be different bookmark categories. It sure would save people a lot of time navigating code on larger projects.

Surely someone has made such a marvel over the years. Does such a thing exist?

gibra

Re: Code bookmark add-in?

CodeSMART for VB6 - The Complete VB6 Toolset
    http://www.axtools.com/products-codesmart-vb6.php

Great!

Frenzied Member

[...]
    Last edited by dz32; Apr 26th, 2019 at 11:23 AM.

gibra

@dz32
    VB6 bookmarks can not be named and are not persistent.

Hi CrazyDude,

I'm not sure what the objective is here, but I sometimes find myself wanting to jump back and forth between particular spots in three-or-four modules. I'll admit, it gets confusing at times (especially if they're long modules). If it's two spots in the same module, I often use the code-split feature of the code editing windows.

However, if it's different modules, I'll typically just put a Comment in the code while I'm working on it. Maybe something like:

Code:

' Elroy working here.

Then, I can use search to cycle through the locations of that comment. And, if I save before I'm done, it's persistent.

Just A Thought,
    Elroy
    Any software I post in these forums written by me is provided "AS IS" without warranty of any kind, expressed or implied, and permission is hereby granted, free of charge and without restriction, to any person obtaining a copy. To all, peace and happiness.

Addicted Member

Quote Originally Posted by gibra View Post
    CodeSMART for VB6 - The Complete VB6 Toolset
    http://www.axtools.com/products-codesmart-vb6.php

Great!
    That's right, I forgot about that suite. Unfortunately it's not compatible with a very important component I'm using or vice-versa. I'm not sure why. However I wish it was, because there's some other features it has I'd like to be able to use.
    Last edited by CrazyDude; Apr 3rd, 2018 at 11:00 PM.

Addicted Member

Quote Originally Posted by Elroy View Post
    Hi CrazyDude,

I'm not sure what the objective is here, but I sometimes find myself wanting to jump back and forth between particular spots in three-or-four modules. I'll admit, it gets confusing at times (especially if they're long modules). If it's two spots in the same module, I often use the code-split feature of the code editing windows. I usually like to bookmark the sub or function itself, but would be nice to bookmark any line as VB6's built-in bookmarking can.

Then, I can use search to cycle through the locations of that comment. And, if I save before I'm done, it's persistent.

Just A Thought,
    Elroy
    Yep, that's what I do now with different areas of copy protection sections, as an example. Or like say I'm concentrating on certain subs/functions that day, I'll make a list of the 5 or 6 I'm mainly working with and do searches on them using "b MultithreadThis(" in order to find the sub and not run into other calls to it. Obviously for a function it would be "n MultithreadThis(".

But I was hoping for a one-click kind of thing, and of course persistent. I was envisioning something like this, again, a dockable panel I could throw over on the right. And I'd have more than this, I just didn't want to make the post too big. These are all user-created of course, so you could customize as needed.

My Variables <- frequent variables we need to visit
    • Main Public
    • Licensing

Forms
    • Main Form Load (beginning) <-- note in the bookmark name to let us know it's the beginning of sub
    • Main Form Load (end) <-- end of the Form_Load sub
    • Main Form Unload

Copy Protection
    • Form Load (check EXE hash)
    • Form Load Mid-way
    • License Key Sanity Check
    • Extra EXE tamper check

Frequent Visited Subs
    • Load Config
    • Save Config
    • Licensing <-- Maybe this sub is actually called 'iIESUFoisbef' to throw off crackers

Ping Subs/Functions
    • Ping Timer (fix me 4/3/18) <-- note to myself I'm working on a bug
    • Ping Callback (fixing)

The "<--" bits there are just for explanation purposes, not anything in the add-in. Also I thought it'd be great to have them single-click to reduce clicking, but double is what we're all use to getting to different forms, modules, etc.

What do you think? Much faster than having to cycle through code with comment notes?
    Last edited by CrazyDude; Apr 4th, 2018 at 12:04 PM.

Frenzied Member

[...]
    Last edited by dz32; Apr 26th, 2019 at 11:23 AM.

Addicted Member

Yeah, I've been doing what elroy mentioned for years. I didn't know others did that too, but glad to hear I'm not alone!

Thanks for the tip on that add-in! I'm not sure I'm quite skilled enough to modify it, but I could give it a try.

I was able to register the add-in DLL to try it out in the IDE, but I must be doing something wrong, because when I try to compile it, I get this error:
    "Procedure declaration does not match description of event or procedure having the same name"
    at
    Private Sub AddinInstance_OnConnection(ByVal Application As Object, ByVal ConnectMode As AddInDesignerObjects.ext_ConnectMode, ByVal AddInInst As Object, custom() As Variant)

gibra

Well, if you want use comments as bookmarks then I suggest another great and free add-in: MZ-Tools 3.0
    Officially no longer available, but you can download here:

MZ-Tools 3.0 - Productivity Tools for Visual Basic 6.0, 5.0 and VBA
    https://web.archive.org/web/20150206.../mztools3.aspx

Lively Member

...not to derail this thread, but does anyone know if there is a add-in which can search within ' With ... End With' references.
    So that for example:

With Frm_Hlp
    .Left = ....
    .Top = ... etc.

then this would be found with a search for 'Frm_Hlp.Left'

This would be really, really, really helpfull!

Addicted Member

Well, if you want use comments as bookmarks then I suggest another great and free add-in: MZ-Tools 3.0
    Officially no longer available, but you can download here:

Thanks Gibra! Ya know, I was checking out the newer MZ-Tools v8 demo ($64) because I was having trouble finding MZ-Tools 3. I was gonna post about it once I played with it enough. Version 8, at least, makes the IDE load up very slowly, but I was able to fix that by disabling the two toolbars it creates. Their "Favorite Procedures" bookmarking feature does let you bookmark any line of code, as well as comments. It doesn't have grouping of Favorites, nor does it let you rename the Favorite, but I could just use a code comment to simulate that functionality. And it's persistent and gets me to where I need very quickly.

I will check out the free v3.0 version too, but if v8 has some other very useful features, I may just buy it because it's only $64 and I'm supporting the Classic VB community. I am surprised no one has made a bookmark add-in that does more. It seems to me it would save coders a LOT of time getting around larger projects. This will help a lot though. I should've done this years ago.

EDIT: I should also mention that the Favorites window goes away when running your app in the IDE, but that's with any add-in, for some reason. So if your app is running, you can't use an add-in for bookmarking. You'd have to use the classic Notepad method Elroy mentioned. Still though, this should still save me a lot of time jumping around to find "favorite" code locations.
    Last edited by CrazyDude; Apr 7th, 2018 at 01:43 PM.