Thread: Making an error message for the repeating in or out if loops in the database table

Exclamation Making an error message for the repeating in or out if loops in the database table

Good Day, to make things clear I will introduce my ongoing system which is "Gate attendance for student in our university", this system is consists of RFID reader RC522 and Arduino, the student should tap his/her RFID tag and the data retrieved shown at the monitor.. The system is our capstone project and it is done but the panel required us for another problem to be solved.

All functions is already done about the scanning,retrieving data,registering students , this will apply to the college students which is feel free to go out and in anytime depends on the schedule unlike highschool just one IN and OUT.

The two RFID reader is placed in Entrance and Exit of the University theres a system for out in the exit and In for the entrance.The data retrieved from in and out would save into the same table. How can I show the messagebox warning to the students if he taps IN without go OUT first? I know it something about the query. but I have no Idea. I need some help here for my Capstone.. Any Comments and suggestion is appreciated advance.. Here is my code about the retrieving the data based on the RFID tag number shown in the textbox changed event..by the way my table studlogs is the one handled the attendance.

Code:

Private Sub studtag_TextChanged(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles studtag.TextChanged

Notenrolled.Close()
        greet.Text = ""
        PictureBox4.Visible = False

If studtag.Text = "44F2F38B" Then

Endday()

End If

If studtag.Text = recents.Text Then

Alreadylogin.Show()
        ElseIf studtag.TextLength = 8 Then

DataGridView1.Sort(DataGridView1.Columns(6), System.ComponentModel.ListSortDirection.Descending)
            con = New MySqlConnection
            con.ConnectionString = "server=localhost;userid=root;password=1234;database=dat"
            Dim query As String

query = "select * from dat.students"
            cmd = New MySqlCommand(query, con)

Dim table As New DataTable

Try
                con.Open()
                'Gets or sets an SQL statement or stored procedure used to select records in the database.
                With cmd
                    .Connection = con
                    .CommandText = "SELECT * from students where `studtags`='" & studtag.Text & "';"
                End With
                da.SelectCommand = cmd
                da.Fill(table)
                'it gets the data from specific column and fill it into Label

idno.Text = table.Rows(0).Item(1)
                lastxt.Text = table.Rows(0).Item(2)
                firstxt.Text = table.Rows(0).Item(3)
                middletxt.Text = table.Rows(0).Item(4)
                dob.Text = table.Rows(0).Item(6)
                year.Text = table.Rows(0).Item(7)
                crsetxt.Text = table.Rows(0).Item(10)

tagtxt.Text = studtag.Text
                timein.Text = times.Text

dr = cmd.ExecuteReader()
                dr.Read()

If dob.Text = bday.Text Then
                    greet.Text = firstxt.Text + " Today is your Birthday. Greetings :D."
                    PictureBox4.Visible = True

End If

Dim img() As Byte = CType(dr("studpic"), Byte())

Using ms As New IO.MemoryStream(img)
                    PictureBox1.Image = Image.FromStream(ms)

End Using
                My.Computer.Audio.Play("C:\Users\BOR\Desktop\Parsu Gate\Parsu\audio\scanned.wav")
                insert()
                loadtable()
                studdailyhistory()

Catch ex As Exception
                Notenrolled.Show()
                DataGridView1.Sort(DataGridView1.Columns(5), System.ComponentModel.ListSortDirection.Descending)
                If studtag.Text = "44F2F38B" Then
                    Notenrolled.Close()
                End If

Finally

con.Dispose()
                con.Close()

End Try

End If
        recents.Text = tagtxt.Text

End Sub

Public Sub insert()

con.ConnectionString = "server=localhost;userid=root;password=1234;database=dat"
        Dim reader As MySqlDataReader
        Dim mstream As New System.IO.MemoryStream()

Dim arrImage() As Byte = mstream.GetBuffer()
        mstream.Close()

Try

con.Open()
            Dim query3 As String

query3 = "insert into dat.studlogs (studtags,idno,lastxt,firstxt,middletxt,dob,log,timein,crse,studpic) values ('" & tagtxt.Text & "','" & idno.Text & "','" & lastxt.Text & "','" & firstxt.Text & "','" & middletxt.Text & "','" & dob.Text & "','" & log.Text & "','" & timein.Text & "','" & crsetxt.Text & "',@studpic)"
            cmd = New MySqlCommand(query3, con)
            cmd.Parameters.AddWithValue("@studpic", arrImage)
            reader = cmd.ExecuteReader

con.Close()
        Catch ex As Exception
            MessageBox.Show(ex.Message)
        Finally
            con.Dispose()
        End Try

End Sub

Public Sub studdailyhistory()

Dim reader As MySqlDataReader
        Dim mstream As New System.IO.MemoryStream()

Dim arrImage() As Byte = mstream.GetBuffer()
        mstream.Close()

Try

con.Open()
            Dim query3 As String

query3 = "insert into dat.studdailyhistory (studtags,idno,lastxt,firstxt,middletxt,dob,log,timein,crse,dates,studpic) values ('" & tagtxt.Text & "','" & idno.Text & "','" & lastxt.Text & "','" & firstxt.Text & "','" & middletxt.Text & "','" & dob.Text & "','" & log.Text & "','" & timein.Text & "','" & crsetxt.Text & "','" & wholedate.Text & "',@studpic)"
            cmd.Parameters.AddWithValue("@studpic", arrImage)
            reader = cmd.ExecuteReader

con.Close()
        Catch ex As Exception
        Finally
            con.Dispose()
        End Try

End Sub

Public Sub loadtable()

Dim SDA As New MySqlDataAdapter
        Dim dbDataset As New DataTable
        Dim bSource As New BindingSource

Try

con.Open()
            Dim query3 As String

query3 = "select idno as 'Student_ID',lastxt as 'LastName',firstxt as 'FirstName',middletxt as 'MiddleName',log as 'Status',timein as 'Timein',crse as 'Course' from dat.studlogs"
            SDA.SelectCommand = cmd
            SDA.Fill(dbDataset)
            bSource.DataSource = dbDataset
            DataGridView1.DataSource = bSource
            SDA.Update(dbDataset)

DataGridView1.Sort(DataGridView1.Columns(5), System.ComponentModel.ListSortDirection.Descending)

If dbDataset.Rows.Count > 0 Then
                logins.Text = dbDataset.Rows.Count.ToString()
            End If

con.Close()
        Catch ex As Exception
        Finally
            con.Dispose()
        End Try
    End Sub

Re: Making an error message for the repeating in or out if loops in the database tabl

You use an If statement. It's really that simple. The state of the data should tell you whether the last action was an entrance or an exit. When the student scans at the entrance you query the database and IF there last action was an entrance then you display the message. Likewise, when they scan at the exit you display the message IF there last action was an exit.

How you represent the last action in the data is up to you. Maybe you have a Boolean column where True is entrance and False is exit. Maybe you have a date/time for the last entrance and exit so you simply have to check which is greater. Maybe you have something else. You designed it so you should know how to use it to determine what the last action was. IF the current action matches the last action, display the message.

Re: Making an error message for the repeating in or out if loops in the database tabl

Quote Originally Posted by jmcilhinney View Post
    You use an If statement. It's really that simple. The state of the data should tell you whether the last action was an entrance or an exit. When the student scans at the entrance you query the database and IF there last action was an entrance then you display the message. Likewise, when they scan at the exit you display the message IF there last action was an exit.

How you represent the last action in the data is up to you. Maybe you have a Boolean column where True is entrance and False is exit. Maybe you have a date/time for the last entrance and exit so you simply have to check which is greater. Maybe you have something else. You designed it so you should know how to use it to determine what the last action was. IF the current action matches the last action, display the message.
    @jmcilhinney Thank you for your great suggestion, i have a column date/time but no boolean. And the college students here are always enter and exit repeatedly so the data in the table has many values containing the log out and login repeatedly but I already developed an attendance for highschool which is the student should login once and log out once in one day unlike this ongoing system which is time to time the students login logout. By the way about the displaying the message when the students tap their RFID card is already done but it only works if the students tap his RFID then repeat again and the warning is displayed "You already login please log out first" but when the first student tap the card and another next student tap too, and the first student tap again the warning not pop up. Can you give me a guide link websites where your suggestions defined.. like that boolean thing and other which help me to get through. Thank you jmcilhinney you are so active

You're not going to find a web site that details what I described and you shouldn't really need one. It's just another column in the database, like any other column. In your application, it's a Boolean like any other Boolean. I think that you're assuming that it's complicated when it's not. Add a column, save a value to that column when you insert a record, test whether the last value matches the current value before inserting and error if it does. There's nothing complex about that.

Okay I got it. Thank you so much sir..I will follow your instructions

I'll be more than happy to help further if you have issues along the way but you've definitely got enough to have a good go at it first.

Ok sir I'm happy because there's someone inspired me.. sir