Thread: [RESOLVED] Database not compatible? VS 2017

Addicted Member

Resolved [RESOLVED] Database not compatible? VS 2017

I was given a database file from my school but I keep getting this error...

This database file is not compatible with the current instance of SQL server. To resolve this upgrade the database file by creating a new data connection, or you must modify the existing connection to this database file.

Im sure this means its outdated..Im using VS 2017, how do I update this?

gibra

Re: Database not compatible? VS 2017

SQL Server isn't VS2017.

Use SQL Server Management Studio for generate a script to export database.
    On Advaced Scripting Options dialog on the Script for version server option select your SQL Server version

See this tutorial:
    SQL Server 2008 R2 Generate Scripts Wizard with Database Schema and Data
    https://www.mssqltips.com/sqlservert...hema-and-data/

Addicted Member

Quote Originally Posted by gibra View Post
    SQL Server isn't VS2017.

On Advaced Scripting Options dialog on the Script for version server option select your SQL Server version

See this tutorial:
    ok I will try that thank you!!

Addicted Member

Quote Originally Posted by gibra View Post
    SQL Server isn't VS2017.

See this tutorial:

Ok I downloaded the latest version of that and in my setup wizard it says to pick my database file but when I go to open there are no files to choose from its blank..my database file is an mdf file but its asking for an analysis services database file so thats obviously why its not showing but it wont let me skip that step.. to finish install I have to choose a file

gibra

Quote Originally Posted by EmilyM1105 View Post
    Ok I downloaded the latest version of that and in my setup wizard it says to pick my database file but when I go to open there are no files to choose from its blank..my database file is an mdf file but its asking for an analysis services database file so thats obviously why its not showing but it wont let me skip that step.. to finish install I have to choose a file
    What you write is incomprehensible, for me.

- 'Latest version' of what ????
    - what's: 'my setup wizard' ???

You solved?
    If yes, ok, if no then explain in detail what you did, step by step...

" its asking for an analysis services database file" That should raise redflags right there... you're not attaching an analysis services database, you want to attach a database... so either you installed the wrong thing, or you told it to attach the wrong thing... so you need to take a deep breath, and tell us what you downloaded, and from where, and tell us what happened, step, by step.

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

You don't want to know.

I've got to be honest:

Two months ago I was interested in getting familiar with some of the TableAdapter things, and I figured to be on the same page as everyone else I'd use SQL Server Express. I installed what seemed to be missing, then started looking for sample databases like Northwind and AdventureWorks.

2 hours later, I'd installed 6 different programs that all claimed to be SQL Server or SQL Server Manager. Some of them will let me attempt to open the MDF files. Those insist "that database is not compatible with this version, would you like me to upgrade it?" If I say, "Yes", I get an error indicating it can't. So I try to run the .sql scripts instead. Every program has a different reason why it can't run the .sql script. Now, as far as I can tell, I've got 3 different instances of SQL server running on my machine, some of them with half a database installed. I tried to follow instructions to attach the databases in VS 2017, and got different errors there. At this point it's just as likely the things I've installed are conflicting with each other as it is that I'm doing something wrong.

So I gave up, I spent all the time I had for play just on trying to get it configured. It seems like the last time someone made a start-to-finish guide to installing a sample database was in 2012 or so, something has changed, and no one central article can walk a newbie through the process. It'd be really nice if someone made that.
    This answer is wrong. You should be using TableAdapter and Dictionaries instead.

gibra

The tutorial I've linked helps you solve the problem by generating the database creation script. I've never had problems.
    But, as I wrote in my previous post, in addition to what is indicated in the tutorial, when you are in the Advanced Script Options, you need to select the target SQL Server version.
    All clear and simple.

What is not clear to you in that tutorial?

P.S.
    This is the official SSMS download
    Download SQL Server Management Studio (SSMS) | Microsoft Docs
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sql...nt-studio-ssms
    Last edited by gibra; Feb 16th, 2018 at 06:48 PM.

Addicted Member

ok so i downloaded SQL Server Management but when I go to attach my database my mdf file doesnt come up when I go to add it to be attached. I tried to move it in the C: folder but still doesnt show up...the privacy settings are showing as allowed for everything so permissions to view is not the issue and I also ran the SQL management program as Admin and its still not showing...What is the problem?

Addicted Member

ok I figured out how to do it.. I had to add the file to the SQLserver2107Media Folder and the mdf file showed up but now what do I do? I can see all the files but how do I get all of it to open in Visual Studio now?

Addicted Member

I GOT IT!! I followed this tutorial https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms239722.aspx