Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 714151617

Thread: Vb6 , the Future, and what I have discovered

Re: Vb6 , the Future, and what I have discovered

Quote Originally Posted by yereverluvinuncleber View Post
    With the impending demise of 32bit apps on Windows (that might never happen?), the certainty that the 64bit binary provides is very important. Like the "Intel Inside" badge, it seems to mean very little but it does give a lot of confidence to the user.
    I've been programming in VB.Net for years and it does have a 64 bit compiler and to this day I still compile my applications to 32 bit. Never had any problems doing it and there was never a problem where 64 bit compilation was the solution. I'm not saying 64 bit compilation is not important. It is, but it's not as important as most might think. Most applications applications can work fine on Windows being 32 bit and I don't see any signs of that changing soon.
    Treeview with NodeAdded/NodesRemoved events | BlinkLabel control | Calculate Permutations | Object Enums | ComboBox with centered items | .Net Internals article(not mine) | Wizard Control | Understanding Multi-Threading | Simple file compression | Demon Arena

C++ programmers will dismiss you as a cretinous simpleton for your inability to keep track of pointers chained 6 levels deep and Java programmers will pillory you for buying into the evils of Microsoft. Meanwhile C# programmers will get paid just a little bit more than you for writing exactly the same code and VB6 programmers will continue to whitter on about "footprints". - FunkyDexter

There's just no reason to use garbage like InputBox. -jmcilhinney

> You could add a couple of small things that don't really break anything like new data types or 64 bit compilation and what not

Even that is not possible. There are no x64 OCXes -- no ComCtl, no SSTab, no commercial grid controls. People think when a VB6 clone is complete it will be a simple config to compile for x64. How far from the truth.

Or just a simple recompile for Linux/Mac support -- these OSes don't have COM, no registry even! How are these supposed to have all the OCXes everyone is used to slapping on their forms.

Think about what would a COM based VB7 (or VB8) would look in current Windows landscape. Probably all UI would be XAML based, base interface would be IInspectable (not IUnknown/IDispatch) and the language would had a lot of FP idioms "borrowed" from OCaml/Erlang/Haskell retrofited over COM/WinRT.

cheers,
    </wqw>

Fanatic Member

Niya, I know it is not important, that was my point exactly.

However, you and I don't determine the world's view of VB6 and as I said, the impending demise of 32bit apps, apple have already killed them on OS X and MS is starting to do the same with the new upcoming 'X' version of Windows. 32bitness does not give a foretaste of the future in user's minds, it implies, no, it states VB6 is stuck in the past.

64bitness to you and me is but a mere badge but it is actually much, much more that that. It says VB6 has a future to the world. That is what I was trying to say above..

Frenzied Member

theres no feature that I asked for really. everything is in their own website, what kind of features they have and what they want to do and a couple of maybes and a couple of future plans.
    sure, I wrote that I want to be able to use typelibs, but that is basic and part of the vb6 compatibility. if they dont add that its a failure already.
    also, they have their own schedule and release plans, so its not that I ask for a specific feature, I let the devs work like they plan to do, wouldn't dare to tell them to do it my way, the only thing that I can do is give feedback and suggestions,
    but so far, they have already listed what they plan to add so I don't have anything else to say right now, everything they plan to do is enough for me, and that was also part of some post I made, that I "require" very little features, and would be happy with less if just the basic and 32/64 compilers works.
    the #If Win64 Then was already there, so its not a feature that I wanted that the devs needed to add for me, it was already there, I just asked if there was a way to tell the compiler and it was. I didnt "demand" a feature , just asked "if" there was.

not sure how I can give feedback and ask questions if I need to be scared that the Dev will not think Im demanding things!?

edit:
    and to answer the .ocx 64bit compatibility and other restrictions.
    Im thinking, if you are at least a bit realist of course everything will not work. that was also part of the reason why I wrote that I don't care for any .ocx compatibility.
    I also think that, when working with a 32 & 64 simultaneously that it will be new projects, that u will be working side by side and testing if the program work in both modes.
    that what I was hoping for and nothing else. and for future plans to add mac/linux/android, it will also be the day when we will need to start "thinking cross-platform" and only use compatible functions that can be used in all systems.
    if people think everything works like magic, its nothing we can do, but to always try to be negative will not help anybody.
    Last edited by baka; Dec 22nd, 2020 at 03:36 PM.

Fanatic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Niya View Post
    and to this day I still compile my applications to 32 bit.
    but you have the choice and one day I am sure you will click that 64bit button.

but you have the choice and one day I am sure you will click that 64bit button.
    Compiling to 32 bit is nothing more than a mere habit for me. I had a very specific reason for the practice. In earlier times, there were still a lot of 32 bit Windows installations out in the wild. It was simply easier to compile to 32 bit rather than to compile to 64 bit and end up running into trouble when I encountered a 32 bit Windows install. It's much less relevant today as I can't tell you the last time I have even seen a 32 bit version of Windows installed anywhere. But I never dropped the habit and nothing has yet forced me to change. I know that 64 bit everything is inevitable but I get the feeling we have a lot of time still. In any case, I wouldn't really have a problem if 32 bit support on Windows ended tomorrow. For me all it would take is 5 seconds to change a single setting and recompile and everything is back to working exactly as before. Right now I don't really gain or lose anything for compiling to 32 bit over 64 bit or vice versa. The only thing I could possibly lose is some time from the minor inconvenience of having to recompile and replace a few applications in the wild.
    Treeview with NodeAdded/NodesRemoved events | BlinkLabel control | Calculate Permutations | Object Enums | ComboBox with centered items | .Net Internals article(not mine) | Wizard Control | Understanding Multi-Threading | Simple file compression | Demon Arena

C++ programmers will dismiss you as a cretinous simpleton for your inability to keep track of pointers chained 6 levels deep and Java programmers will pillory you for buying into the evils of Microsoft. Meanwhile C# programmers will get paid just a little bit more than you for writing exactly the same code and VB6 programmers will continue to whitter on about "footprints". - FunkyDexter

Niya, I know it is not important, that was my point exactly.

However, you and I don't determine the world's view of VB6 and as I said, the impending demise of 32bit apps, apple have already killed them on OS X and MS is starting to do the same with the new upcoming 'X' version of Windows. 32bitness does not give a foretaste of the future in user's minds, it implies, no, it states VB6 is stuck in the past.

64bitness to you and me is but a mere badge but it is actually much, much more that that. It says VB6 has a future to the world. That is what I was trying to say above..
    Yea, 64 bit is a MUST if you intend to leave the world of Windows. VB6's target audience are Windows users so I was talking about 64 bit support in that context. I don't think Windows users have to worry about needing a 64 bit compiler for their applications for the foreseeable future. But I do agree that it will become essential eventually.

Quote Originally Posted by wqweto View Post
    Even that is not possible. There are no x64 OCXes -- no ComCtl, no SSTab, no commercial grid controls. People think when a VB6 clone is complete it will be a simple config to compile for x64. How far from the truth.
    I completely forgot about OCXes. Even with just 64 bit support we are already running into problems.

Though in this case, you might be lucky since Krool already has a massive suit of Controls. It might just be a matter of him and Wayne working together to compile them for use in a 64 bit environment and integrating them as the standard Common Controls library for TwinBasic. But that's a little above my head so I'm not sure if even that is possible.
    Last edited by Niya; Dec 22nd, 2020 at 05:48 PM.

Frenzied Member

(visual freebasic in china)vfb support x64,freebasic support Linux,Doesn't anyone like it?

Quote Originally Posted by xiaoyao View Post
    (visual freebasic in china)vfb support x64,freebasic support Linux,Doesn't anyone like it?
    Hello,

I abandoned VisualFreeBasic because despite a sustained development (20 versions per year),
    the compatibility remains below 80% and especially still no debugger which is very penalizing.

I have much more hope in "twinbasic" whose primary objective is 100% compatibility with VB6 and which announces color with 3 videos.

I wish WaynePhillipsEA good success and take this opportunity to wish you a happy New Year.

Regards

Quote Originally Posted by camomille View Post
    ....and especially still no debugger which is very penalizing
    Us VB developers are very spoiled. No way I would never tolerate a development environment with no debugger if I don't have to.

Hyperactive Member

Quote Originally Posted by xiaoyao View Post
    Any effort to develop alternatives to VB6 is respectable. Before publicizing and promoting VFB, it is obviously a wise and necessary thing to implement an IDE debugger.

In addition, I'm curious, how do programmers who don't have debuggers develop software?

Frenzied Member

For example, the development of small standard DLL, just to achieve some simple functions, basically error-free. Or some functions are developed in blocks, and then compiled uniformly.

Quote Originally Posted by camomille View Post
    Hello,

I abandoned VisualFreeBasic because despite a sustained development (20 versions per year),
    the compatibility remains below 80% and especially still no debugger which is very penalizing.

I have much more hope in "twinbasic" whose primary objective is 100% compatibility with VB6 and which announces color with 3 videos.

I wish WaynePhillipsEA good success and take this opportunity to wish you a happy New Year.

Regards
    Thank you - much appreciated. I agree, a good debugger is essential, and the one that comes with TwinBasic is built upon the DAP protocol used by vscode. Many languages now have DAP support, so we will be bringing BASIC into line with these modern languages and compilers.

Seasons greetings to everyone on here, and let's look forward to 2021.

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by SearchingDataOnly View Post
    In addition, I'm curious, how do programmers who don't have debuggers develop software?
    Well, several things became important:

Thorough desk checking, incremental modular development, and strong memory dump reading skills.

When we were making bug fixes and OS tweaks it became very important. You were lucky to be able to get one compile and one test in a week. Less than that if the system required 24x7 up-time where you'd have to schedule tests far ahead of time.

Compiles might also use up several tape drives, blocking a lot of production work while they ran for a couple of hours.
    Last edited by dilettante; Dec 24th, 2020 at 10:12 AM.

Frenzied Member

https://www.freebasic.net/forum/view...28522&start=45
    by oyster:
    Re: New IDE:vfb(Visual Freebasic)Like vb6,vb7(Update 2020-04-30)
    PostJun 03, 2020 5:36

In fact this software does not appear one day suddenly. The author has developed it for a very long time, discussed and advertised it in several discussion groups in a Chinese instant chat software, i.e. QQ which has been mentioned above, and yes I am in one of the discussion group. Since the author, who is not the guy that made this post, does not know English, he has never advertised vfb here before.

The author claimed that
    1. for previous vfb, DLL injection is used on PaulSquire's FireFly Visual Designer. It is a hard way, so I think I have tried to ask PaulSquire whether he can open source FireFly Visual Designer, but PaulSquire refused.

2. then the author of vfb used vfb to program a new vfb which does not depend on FireFly Visual Designer anymore.
    But it is beyond my knowledge, I can't tell whether it is true or not.

The author has said, if I remember correctly, he will opensource vfb one day. But I will not take it as a serious promise till he does so.

Although some applications say they can do what VB does. But I don't think I can find the same convenience which is supplied by VB. Even in vfb, deep learning of Windows Programming is need. I don't know if we have grasped such knowledge, why do not to use C directly? Sorry to say so, but I think freebasic's syntax is too tedious to write long code

Frenzied Member

I did try Visual Freebasic,
    without the debugger and that it require a bit or learning, not a good forum/sources and even if its x64, its not good enough to replace vb6.
    with VB6 I can work fast and the apps/games Im doing don't really need x64 (of course if I can make x64 I would use it, but its not that important that the migration is worth it)

this is all about time and effort and if theres a critical benefit to migrate.
    Im used to VB6 IDE and its debugger, to have a language without a debugger needs to have some real good benefits.

Frenzied Member

How many non-Chinese people can use Chinese?vfb IDE,At the beginning, we didn't consider writing an English version,So the English version is not very good.
    。One person has developed and updated it hundreds of times.
    This tool is powerful enough for amateur developers. At least it can make up for many shortcomings of VB6.
    。At the same time, he also has the conditions for commercial development.

Frenzied Member

some function by vc x64 fast then vb6 90%
    maybe vb6 maked exe use 10 seconds,vc++ exe runs 5 seconds.
    Is it true that the 64 bit program runs twice as fast?

I feel that the readability of VB6 code is really dozens of times more convenient than VC++.
    Code:
    long a1
    string S1
    din a as long
    dim S1 as string

Hyperactive Member

Radbasic has started its kickstarter with 27 backers aleready in the few hours it has been up, hopefully it keeps the momentum.

Twinbasic is set for release tomorrow.

finally progress is being made!

Addicted Member

Smile Re: Vb6 , the Future, and what I have discovered

Quote Originally Posted by axisdj View Post
    Radbasic has started its kickstarter with 27 backers aleready in the few hours it has been up, hopefully it keeps the momentum.

The thread for RADbasic is https://www.vbforums.com/showthread....w-radbasic-dev

and TwinBasic is at https://www.vbforums.com/showthread....0181-TwinBasic

EDIT: The TwinBasic Developer Preview 1 (v0.9.1502) download is now available.
    Last edited by VB6 Programming; Apr 9th, 2021 at 03:21 AM.

Fanatic Member

Honestly, we should support both! Two irons in one fire all at the same time. There has always been room for a competing yet compatible product to Microsoft's VB6. The major surprise so that it has taken so long to happen. The second surprise is that, like waiting for the bus, they all seem to have come at the same time. We just need a bus marked 'Direction -> OLAF' to appear and we'll have a hat trick.

39 and growing, i put my 2 cents to help

Fanatic Member

Like buses, the VB6 alternatives all seem to be arriving at the same time.

Indic Software, that name might be in some of our combined memories. They once proposed that they would be able to come up with a VB6 alternative. Well that video and a post has just been made on the forum here. Their offering looks good. It seems to be a competent forms designer at the very least. It appears to have a demo of an interpreter too.

https://www.vbforums.com/showthread....z-a-Visual-IDE

Hyperactive Member

Like buses, the VB6 alternatives all seem to be arriving at the same time.

Indic Software, that name might be in some of our combined memories. They once proposed that they would be able to come up with a VB6 alternative. Well that video and a post has just been made on the forum here. Their offering looks good. It seems to be a competent forms designer at the very least. It appears to have a demo of an interpreter too.

https://www.vbforums.com/showthread....z-a-Visual-IDE
    the Indic Software offering looks like its based on Lazarus, which would be very cool, since it makes it cross platform.

From the looks of it they are using the code parser built into lazarus, so I would assume vb6 code would need to be converted to be used.

Lively Member

the Indic Software offering looks like its based on Lazarus, which would be very cool, since it makes it cross platform.

From the looks of it they are using the code parser built into lazarus, so I would assume vb6 code would need to be converted to be used.
    It is definitely Lazarus.
    The code they typed was vb but not vb6, does that make it any easier than vb.net to migrate to?

Addicted Member

The twinBASIC preview looks very promising. The VB6 compatible language runs well on the VS Code IDE.
    Next we need the promised VB6 compatible Forms/GUI.

https://www.vbforums.com/showthread....0181-TwinBasic

Addicted Member

twinBASIC is a modern version of the classic BASIC programming language. twinBASIC aims for 100% backwards compatibility with existing VB6 and VBA projects.

An early preview is available for download...
    https://twinbasic.com/

Frenzied Member

Quote Originally Posted by baka View Post
    I did try Visual Freebasic,
    without the debugger and that it require a bit or learning, not a good forum/sources and even if its x64, its not good enough to replace vb6.
    with VB6 I can work fast and the apps/games Im doing don't really need x64 (of course if I can make x64 I would use it, but its not that important that the migration is worth it)

this is all about time and effort and if theres a critical benefit to migrate.
    Im used to VB6 IDE and its debugger, to have a language without a debugger needs to have some real good benefits.
    Vfb IDE【Visual Freebasic】Like vb6,vb7,Update2021-2-23
    https://www.freebasic.net/forum/view...hp?f=8&t=28522

Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 714151617