Thread: Control formatting properties

Fanatic Member

Control formatting properties

I am having some trouble figuring out how to format a couple of controls the way I want to. Everything is pretty easy to format, except the combobox and the radial buttons. All of the controls are ReadOnly, or are disabled for this display. I have tried a number of different things and have looked through about everything I can find but am unable to find anyway to format them. I would like the radial buttons to not be faded (reduced opacity), as they are, and I would like the backcolor of the combobox to match the other controls. Is this just not doable?

Name:  ValRecord.jpg
Views: 480
Size:  35.9 KB

PowerPoster

Re: Control formatting properties

Just a small point on terminology: it's "radio buttons", not "radial buttons". You may be one who is too young to remember but radios used to have buttons on them for station presets and when you pressed one of those buttons to select a station it would pop-up any other that was already depressed. Radio button controls provide that same sort of functionality, i.e. no more than one from a group can be selected at a time, so they were named after their physical counterparts. I guess I can understand why those who've never seen a radio of that type might not see the connection.

Fanatic Member

I do remember radios, and I know about radio buttons, as well as dials. But Radial goes back to another time and another software. Actually though, these radio buttons most likely refer to the old twist buttons that predated the push, presets. Remember the dial knobs, one for the volume and one for the frequency?

4X2y. I looked at your info, but it is going to take a little study on my part. It will take me awhile to understand it all. But it actually looks like it will get the job done with the combobox. The only reason the combobox is disabled for this condition is that the form (under this condition) is display only and I don't want any of the data changed.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by gwboolean View Post
    Actually though, these radio buttons most likely refer to the old twist buttons that predated the push, presets. Remember the dial knobs, one for the volume and one for the frequency?
    So they mimic the functionality of one and not the other, but you think that they are named after the other?

PowerPoster

It is OptionButton in VB6

Fanatic Member

So they mimic the functionality of one and not the other, but you think that they are named after the other?
    The functionality is entirely different. The frequency, using the dial, is set using a completely different method than that of a preset push button. But yes, I do think that radio buttons are named after the old dials, since they were called radio buttons long before the push presets came along. I mentioned the volume button only as an aside, since all they did was set the gain and are still used in a lot of receiving units (radios) to this date. Just a small point and of no relevance to anything.