Thread: Starting Web development

Addicted Member

Starting Web development

I am an experienced desktop programmer, I have a basic understanding of HTML/CSS and JavaScript.

I want to start Web application development with the mobile and desktop in mind, please give me 1,2,3 guide on how to start up and running as I have hard times with the overwhelming amount of libraries, technologies and competitions around us now.

I really am confused and need to make up my mind and make it right!

Re: Starting Web development

If your idea is to create mobile apps using HTML, CSS and JS, then try googling for Cordova or maybe PhoneGap.

If you are only interested in web-development, then HTML, CSS and JS would be for the frontend.
    So, learning a serverside language would be good (say for example, PHP, ASP.Net, etc.). Or if you are not interested to learn such server-side languages, you could even try NodeJS, which actually uses Javascript.

For the front-end, a framework like Bootstrap, Angular JS, etc. will help you.

What I use (mostly) is:

- Bootstrap Framework for frontend
    - jQuery library (cross-platform javascript library)
    - PHP for the server-side
    - MySQL for database

Do some googling on these terms I mentioned, and you will get more idea.

For simple basic tutorials, try W3Schools website.

Hope this will get you started.

If my post was helpful to you, then express your gratitude using Rate this Post.
    And if your problem is SOLVED, then please Mark the Thread as RESOLVED (see it in action - video)
    My system: AMD FX 6100, Gigabyte Motherboard, 8 GB Crossair Vengance, Cooler Master 450W Thunder PSU, 1.4 TB HDD, 18.5" TFT(Wide), Antec V1 Cabinet

Social Group: VBForums - Developers from India

Skills: PHP, MySQL, jQuery, VB.Net, Photoshop, CodeIgniter, Bootstrap,...

I migrated all my clients from VB6 and .Net Winforms to a rich internet application.

I tried straight ASP.Net for a few projects and found the overwhelming bloat of this MS technique to be big problem.

From that experience I landed with JavaScript in the front end and creating web services with .Net - running under IIS just like ASP.Net.

Since it's an RIA the page never reloads. Instead it makes use of Ajax calls to the web services to produce changes to the HTML DOM to mimic grids and edit panels and all the fun stuff a WinFrom has.

I use jQuery to manipulate the HTML DOM. Lots of useful free products use jQuery - I've got jqPlot for graphing and all kinds of nice UI widgets.

Since I use .Net for the backend I can effortlessly create .PDF and .XLSX files, for example.

Recently I've been adding "polling" logic so that individual users can "detect" changes to records that they might in fact have called up themselves.

I also support Android devices talking to the exact same .Net backend web services.

I'm 6 years into this effort now. I've created a 4GL RIA that all my clients use - same base code everywhere. Most "screen changes" are accomplished through config tables in the database. All business logic residing in STORED PROCEDURES...

*** Read the sticky in the DB forum about how to get your question answered quickly!! ***

Please remember to rate posts! Rate any post you find helpful - even in old threads! Use the link to the left - "Rate this Post".

Some Informative Links:
    [ SQL Rules to Live By ] [ Reserved SQL keywords ] [ When to use INDEX HINTS! ] [ Passing Multi-item Parameters to STORED PROCEDURES ]
    [ Solution to non-domain Windows Authentication ] [ Crazy things we do to shrink log files ] [ SQL 2005 Features ] [ Loading Pictures from DB ]

MS MVP 2006, 2007, 2008

Addicted Member

Quote Originally Posted by akhileshbc View Post
    If your idea is to create mobile apps using HTML, CSS and JS, then try googling for Cordova or maybe PhoneGap.

If you are only interested in web-development, then HTML, CSS and JS would be for the frontend.
    So, learning a serverside language would be good (say for example, PHP, ASP.Net, etc.). Or if you are not interested to learn such server-side languages, you could even try NodeJS, which actually uses Javascript.

For the front-end, a framework like Bootstrap, Angular JS, etc. will help you.

What I use (mostly) is:

- Bootstrap Framework for frontend
    - jQuery library (cross-platform javascript library)
    - PHP for the server-side
    - MySQL for database

Do some googling on these terms I mentioned, and you will get more idea.

For simple basic tutorials, try W3Schools website.

Hope this will get you started.
    Thanks akhileshbc
    I will consider your suggestion.

Addicted Member

Quote Originally Posted by szlamany View Post
    I migrated all my clients from VB6 and .Net Winforms to a rich internet application.

I tried straight ASP.Net for a few projects and found the overwhelming bloat of this MS technique to be big problem.

From that experience I landed with JavaScript in the front end and creating web services with .Net - running under IIS just like ASP.Net.

Since it's an RIA the page never reloads. Instead it makes use of Ajax calls to the web services to produce changes to the HTML DOM to mimic grids and edit panels and all the fun stuff a WinFrom has.

I use jQuery to manipulate the HTML DOM. Lots of useful free products use jQuery - I've got jqPlot for graphing and all kinds of nice UI widgets.

Since I use .Net for the backend I can effortlessly create .PDF and .XLSX files, for example.

Recently I've been adding "polling" logic so that individual users can "detect" changes to records that they might in fact have called up themselves.

I also support Android devices talking to the exact same .Net backend web services.

I'm 6 years into this effort now. I've created a 4GL RIA that all my clients use - same base code everywhere. Most "screen changes" are accomplished through config tables in the database. All business logic residing in STORED PROCEDURES...
    Thanks szlamany, I think I will strengthen my knowledge in HTML, CSS, JS and will invest my time in node.js as I like to stay away from M$ technology especially .NET

Addicted Member

I heard you can use node.js to develop multi-platform applications (Desktop and Moblie) using something like WebKit or Electron!
    Anybody had a go with any of these?!

Quote Originally Posted by labmany View Post
    Thanks szlamany, I think I will strengthen my knowledge in HTML, CSS, JS and will invest my time in node.js as I like to stay away from M$ technology especially .NET
    The back end web services written in .Net are super simple stuff - run a query - pack the results in JSON - send back to the browser. Could be written in any language or any platform.

*** Read the sticky in the DB forum about how to get your question answered quickly!! ***

Please remember to rate posts! Rate any post you find helpful - even in old threads! Use the link to the left - "Rate this Post".

Some Informative Links:
    [ SQL Rules to Live By ] [ Reserved SQL keywords ] [ When to use INDEX HINTS! ] [ Passing Multi-item Parameters to STORED PROCEDURES ]
    [ Solution to non-domain Windows Authentication ] [ Crazy things we do to shrink log files ] [ SQL 2005 Features ] [ Loading Pictures from DB ]

MS MVP 2006, 2007, 2008

Addicted Member

The back end web services written in .Net are super simple stuff - run a query - pack the results in JSON - send back to the browser. Could be written in any language or any platform.
    Thanks, it may be good for you but not for me!
    I am avoiding anything M$ related, it is just a decision I made long time ago (just maintaining old projects),

I am avoiding anything M$ related, it is just a decision I made long time ago (just maintaining old projects),
    Perhaps I am a bit cynical here but the fact you keep referring to them as M$ makes me doubt your reasons for avoiding them...

Quote Originally Posted by PlausiblyDamp View Post
    Perhaps I am a bit cynical here but the fact you keep referring to them as M$ makes me doubt your reasons for avoiding them...
    I agree. I made a point about how this simple back end stuff just doesn't matter that much and still got another M$ comment.

Some Informative Links:

MS MVP 2006, 2007, 2008

Quote Originally Posted by PlausiblyDamp View Post
    I agree. I made a point about how this simple back end stuff just doesn't matter that much and still got another M$ comment.
    I suspect it was really just an arbitrary decision and based on nothing other than pure anti-what ever and not based on anything tangible or substantial.

Arbitrary decisions get arbitrary responses - so then go with PHP. You're asking a forum that's going to be naturally skewed towards MS-related solutions, while at the same time saying that you don't want an MS solution. That's like walking into a butcher shop, announcing you're hungry, but don't want meat. ...

At the end of the day though, you can use what ever you want on the server end, as long as it can produce JSON that the client pages can then acquire and process correctly. If the client components are written right, it doesn't care what the server is, it simply sends a request and gets data back.

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

Addicted Member

Thanks all for your replies.

It is just a habit from a long time ago to write 'Microsoft' as M$ but honestly the dollar sign has nothing to do with my decision, after all M$ (again ) offering a community edition of Visual Studio for free which normally costs a fortune!!