Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: [VB6] ActiveX VBFlexGrid (Replacement of the MSFlexGrid control)

PowerPoster

Re: [VB6] ActiveX VBFlexGrid (Replacement of the MSFlexGrid control)

Quote Originally Posted by southmark View Post
    I have 32-bit Excel, but how do I go about adding and using it? I added a reference to the ocx and tlb but cannot see a control to add to the palette in the form builder. What are the steps please?
    You don't need to reference ocx and tlb.
    Just right click add.. on the control toolbox for VBFlexGrid.

Quote Originally Posted by Krool View Post
    Hi Krool, thanks for the response. I don't see the vbflexgrid in the toolbox. I don't have permissions to run regsvr32 on vbflxgrd14.ocx which was why I was hoping adding a reference to the ocx would do the trick. What am I missing here please?

The OCX needs to be registered on your machine before you can use it from VBA.

How might I install the OCX control without admin rights? Anyone?

I got rights temporarily, ran regsvr32 and verified that the control works - awesome!

I then experimented with the Microsoft Regcap tool to capture a registry file.

`RegCap /O vbflxgrd14.reg vbflxgrd14.ocx`

I edited the file to change instances of HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes as per a number of references. I also added the 'Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00' header line to the registry file. When run it was reported to have completed successfully.

However, the control is not enabled in the control toolbox unless I again run regsvr32 as admin. Still investigating but it would be great to hear from someone who got this working.

Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Krool View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Arnoutdv View Post
    The OCX needs to be registered on your machine before you can use it from VBA.
    Thank you both for the replies. It had been a long time since I'd used VBA! Krool, this was amazingly single to switch out the microsoft control for, amazing project!

PowerPoster

Version 1.5 released.

Dear Krool, how can I upload a 15 mb file, I have some modifications made to vbflexgrid and I would like to upload the file

@lilizanodiaz: You can use github like this

1. Clone the repo at https://github.com/Kr00l/VBFLXGRD
    2. Rebase your changes on latest version of the sources
    3. Create Pull Request and explain what's been done so far

Don't expect anyone to wade through 15MB of changes to merge anything (potentially a "gem") into main branch.

cheers,
    </wqw>

Exclamation Re: [VB6] ActiveX VBFlexGrid (Replacement of the MSFlexGrid control)

Dear Krool, I already attached it to github in the following path: lizanodiaz/vbflexgrid.

Please I would like you to adapt it to your vbflexgrid and thus be able to obtain a more complete and powerful Grid

Addicted Member

Krool, am I correct in that version 1.5 is not a strait drop in replacement for version 1.4 (which I use currently) in my project? With strait I mean; looking at the form in a text editor where 1.4 has the class name "VBFLXGRD14.VBFlexGrid" I assume 1.5 will be "VBFLXGRD15.VBFlexGrid"?

In such case, would the proper upgrade path be to first register 1.5 on the developer machine and then manually edit all the forms in a text editor (changing class names), before starting my project(s) or is the a simpler and smoother way?

BTW I'm not a fan of this naming scheme of controls but I guess you have your reasons. As long as there are no broken interfaces for backward compatibility... I cannot see any good reason. Not crisism, just feedback ;-)
    M$ vs. VB6 = The biggest betrayal and strategic mistake of the century!?

Addicted Member

Ok, this is how I ended up upgrade from version 1.4 to 1.5 and I cannot really see any other way to do it.

1. After unpacking the zip, open an elevated command window and register the ocx: # regsvr32 VBFLXGRD15.OCX
    2. Open project and add component "VB FlexGrid Control 1.5": Ctrl+T or menu Project->Components
    3. Add an instance of the new control to a form as a placeholder, Save and Close the project.
    4. Open the form (with added control) in your favorite text editor. Search for all instances of the previous control e.g. VBFLXGRD14, in all form files. I use Notepad++, Search in files for this, which gives me a sub window with a line for each instance.
    5. Note at the top of the (placeholder control) form, a line starting with "Object = " ... ending with "VBFLXGRD15.OCX". Copy this line to the clipboard.
    6. Now look for same line but ending with "VBFLXGRD14.OCX" and replace this line (or delete if present in place holder form) with the one you saved to clipboard. Do this in all forms. If using NP++ just double click the (Object = ) line and the file will open with VBFLXGRD14 highlighted. IMPORTANT. Replace the whole line, not just VBFLXGRD14, as this version has a new GUID value.
    7. Now iterate through the forms again and replace the control instances, by replacing VBFLXGRD14 with VBFLXGRD15
    8. Special attention with the project vbp file, find the "Object=" for VBFLXGRD14 and replace it with the VBFLXGRD15 one you save to clipboard earlier, but... pay attention, format is slightly different; no spaces around = and no ", remove these. Check with the other Object items there is uncertain about format.
    9. Save and close all form files, open your project in VB6, remove the place holder control and your project is upgraded.

I hope this will help someone.
    M$ vs. VB6 = The biggest betrayal and strategic mistake of the century!?

[deleted, (dunno how to delete a post)]
    Last edited by Chris_G33; Apr 23rd, 2023 at 04:00 PM.

PowerPoster

Version 1.6 released.

Hyperactive Member

7edm,

I have a utility https://www.vbforums.com/showthread....ompile-Utility that automates updating VBFlexGrid and VBCCRxx that easily handles moving to newer versions. Let me know what you think of it...

Hyperactive Member

Exclamation Re: [VB6] ActiveX VBFlexGrid (Replacement of the MSFlexGrid control)

Hi, Krool. Thank you for your last updates of the STD EXE version, but I can't find these properties in the ActiveX 1.6.35 version:

• ColComboCue;
    • ColLookup;
    • EditLocked.

Best regards,
    Nouyana.

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by Nouyana View Post
    Hi, Krool. Thank you for your last updates of the STD EXE version, but I can't find these properties in the ActiveX 1.6.35 version:

• ColComboCue;
    • ColLookup;
    • EditLocked.

Best regards,
    Nouyana.
    They will come in future in a 1.7 version.
    Until that some more other features may be added..

PowerPoster

Version 1.7 released.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12