Thread: InkEdit Control

Frenzied Member

InkEdit Control

Can anyone explain the rather strange behavior of the MS InkEdit Control? When added to a project, it adds a component "C:\Windows\SysWOW64\Inked.dll" (ie. no OCX). It also adds a Reference "C:\Windows\SysWOW64\Inked.oca". When I examine these files, Inked.dll was created ‎October ‎2, ‎2015, and Inked.oca was created ‎June ‎20, ‎2017. The control also appears as a black square in the Toolbox window. An OCA file is normally created the first time an OCX file is used. Since there is no OCX file, I presume the OCA file was created the first time I used it on this machine (Win 8.1). Win 10 also includes "InkObjCore.dll", that is not on Win 8.1.

Can I assume from all this that the InkEdit Control is not a true ActiveX control?

J.A. Coutts

PowerPoster

Re: InkEdit Control

VB often creates OCA files, these seem to be a sort of type library cache for quicker subsequent use.

The reason for the black square is that Microsoft never bothered to put a cute toolbox bitmap into it, or at least not one that the VB6 IDE can display.

An OCX is just a DLL by another name. The OCX extension was just invented to help people who had been used to the old VBXs that we had in 16-bit Windows days of VB.

@dilettante & @couttsj

I figured it out. After d/l-ing, installing, and building numerous VMs from older Win11 releases (all of which worked fine by the way), I did a fresh Win10 to Win11 migration as I had messed with the previous one too much I feared. Glad you guys yelled at me about that...

While doing the migration, the Win11 installer pulled update(s) down. The newly built Win10/Win11 VM would not run my app as expected (and actually hoped for).

Fired up Windows Update and listed the recent update, namely KB5019980. It's a pretty big Security Update.

After uninstalling the offending KB, the app works fine now. All 90+ InkEdit controls appear to be happy.

Thanks to the both of you for keeping me from wasting days going down the wrong path!!!

I have to think if that Security Update broke the InkEdit control, its probably broken other stuff as well.

Name:  win11-works.jpg
Views: 380
Size:  55.9 KB

Frenzied Member

iwsteph;

Windows updates do occasionally screw things up until they fix the oversights. The last update I had was KB5019961 on Nov. 8. Maybe I have something to look forward to.

J.A. Coutts

Quote Originally Posted by iwsteph View Post
    @dilettante & @couttsj

I figured it out. After d/l-ing, installing, and building numerous VMs from older Win11 releases (all of which worked fine by the way), I did a fresh Win10 to Win11 migration as I had messed with the previous one too much I feared. Glad you guys yelled at me about that...

While doing the migration, the Win11 installer pulled update(s) down. The newly built Win10/Win11 VM would not run my app as expected (and actually hoped for).

Fired up Windows Update and listed the recent update, namely KB5019980. It's a pretty big Security Update.

After uninstalling the offending KB, the app works fine now. All 90+ InkEdit controls appear to be happy.

Thanks to the both of you for keeping me from wasting days going down the wrong path!!!

I have to think if that Security Update broke the InkEdit control, its probably broken other stuff as well.

Name:  win11-works.jpg
Views: 380
Size:  55.9 KB
    I have the same issue with KB5019980 which breaks the inkedit control in VB6 apps and microsoft office apps if inkedit is used. I have reported this to Microsoft 3 times but get no response whatever.

It seems that MS break their own controls and apps but are not concerned with that.

The only option I have found is as you say to uninstall KB5019980.

Steve

@Steve. Yeah Bill Gates stopped returning my calls years ago...