Thread: [RESOLVED] Scanned image page preview and scroll

Resolved [RESOLVED] Scanned image page preview and scroll

Hello I am building a scanning application which will be used to archive documents - the user will create a virtual folder via the programm and add description to each document and the scan it using this http://www.chestysoft.com/ximage. So I would like to create interface with two Image Boxes - the first one will be bigger and will display the current selected by the user page of the document, and the second one should generate ImageBox control (OCX) for each page on runtime like shown on the picture:

Name:  ams_screenshot.jpg
Views: 362
Size:  18.1 KB
    Bassicly this part of the program is expected to generate thumbnails for all the pages of the multi-page tiff.

I figure out how to load them at runtime and generate as many ImageBox controls as the pages of the document are, but I can't figure out how to add scroll to the ImageBox, which expands dynamically, also I noticed that if I first select one document the code successfully loads the page previews in the smaller Image Box, but when I go back to the Documents tab and select another document to be loaded, only the first page is refreshed the other images in the page preview ImageBox doesn't refresh and are the images of the last document.

I would be grateful if you give me a solution to these two problems. Bellow you will find my code for loading the document to the OCX ImageBox by Chestysoft.

Code:
        Dim i As Integer
        imgDocPreviewE.ReadImageNumber = 1 'Setva koi image ot multipage tiff-a da zaredi
        imgDocPreviewE.LoadFromFile (ReadIniValue(App.Path & "\config.ini", "Storage", "ADir") & filePath)  'Pulls the root directory from config.ini
        imgDocPreviewE.Zoom = 65
        imgPagePreviewE(0).LoadFromFile (imgDocPreviewE.LastFileName)
        imgPagePreviewE(0).AutoScale
        ReDim Pages(1) 'If you have a large array and you no longer need some of its elements, ReDim can free up memory by reducing the array size. On the other hand, if your code determines that an array needs more elements, ReDim can add them.
        Pages(1) = imgDocPreviewE.WriteBinary(gfBMP) 'Generira bitmap koito da postavi v prozoreca
        ImageCount = imgDocPreviewE.ImageCount(imgDocPreviewE.LastFileName) 'opredelia kolko images se sadurjat v multipagetiff-a zared chrez LoadFromFile
        If ImageCount > 1 Then
            ReDim Preserve Pages(ImageCount)
            For i = 2 To ImageCount
                imgDocPreviewE.ReadImageNumber = i
                imgDocPreviewE.LoadFromFile (imgDocPreviewE.LastFileName)

Dim NextVal As Integer
            NextVal = imgPagePreviewE().Count
            Load imgPagePreviewE(NextVal)
            imgPagePreviewE(NextVal).Top = imgPagePreviewE(NextVal - 1).Top + imgPagePreviewE(NextVal - 1).Height
            imgPagePreviewE(NextVal).ReadImageNumber = i
            imgPagePreviewE(NextVal).LoadFromFile (ReadIniValue(App.Path & "\config.ini", "Storage", "ADir") & filePath)
            imgPagePreviewE(NextVal).LoadFromFile (imgPagePreviewE(NextVal).LastFileName)
            imgPagePreviewE(NextVal).AutoScale
            imgPagePreviewE(NextVal).Visible = True
                Pages(i) = imgDocPreviewE.WriteBinary(gfBMP)
                lblPageNumE.Caption = "Loading - Page " & i & " of " & ImageCount
                Me.Refresh
            Next i
        End If

CurrentImage = 1
        imgDocPreviewE.ReadBinary2 Pages(CurrentImage)
        lblPageNumE.Caption = "Page " & CurrentImage & " of " & ImageCount
        If ImageCount > 0 Then
            cmdRotate90.Enabled = True
            cmdRotate180.Enabled = True
            cmdCrop.Enabled = True

If ImageCount > 1 Then
                cmdPrevE.Enabled = True
                cmdNextE.Enabled = True
            Else
                cmdPrevE.Enabled = False
                cmdNextE.Enabled = False
            End If

End If

PowerPoster

Re: Scanned image page preview and scroll

You shouldn't need any 3rd party control for this. WIA is built into Windows and already handles scanning in an easy to consume way in VB. There is support for thumbnails as well.

But there should be plenty of examples for scrolling and zooming images here in the CodeBank section. There ought to be a number of options for creating thumbnail images from full images too.

Fanatic Member

Re: Scanned image page preview and scroll

Quote Originally Posted by dilettante View Post
    You shouldn't need any 3rd party control for this. WIA is built into Windows and already handles scanning in an easy to consume way in VB. There is support for thumbnails as well.
    I wouldn't use WIA for document scanning. Generally TWAIN is best for document scanning and WIA is best for use with cameras. Twain supports custom capabilities on scanners, and better duplex (double-sided) scanning with document feeders.