Thread: my war with xamarin (visual studio C#)

Banned

my war with xamarin (visual studio C#)

here are the things that simply don't work or don't have a walkthrough or raises errors
    in xamarin :

1. the emulator, yes it is possible to lunch apps on the smartphone but the emulator doesn't work
    2. get news feed
    3. wearable apps
    4. get the image capture or screen capture in realtime and fast many times automatically without the user
      pressing anything
    5. get volume level
    6. openGL apps nothing works, it is impossible to create game apps
    7. smart TV apps
    8. create a native app chat
    9. phone recorder while app is closed : autosave, playback, delete
    10. living wall paper + get b8Tri level, get temperature on the wallpaper of the phone
    11. send notifications while app is closed + click notification to open app
    12. alarm clock while app is closed + pause replay alarm
    13. how to connect a game app to google play
    14. how to delete file on the phone from the app.
    15. save to external SDcard
    16. change the apps background image programmatically without changing activity

where did I search for those walkthroughs ? all over the web and tried the tutorials of :
    Jason Smith, Eric Maupin, Stephane Delcroix, Seth Rosetter, Rui Marinho, Chris King, E.Z. Hart, Samantha Houts, Paul DiPietro, and interim product manager Bryan Hunter

and the tutorials of tiffany ford and james montemango.

bottom line is their tutorials for some reasone don't work and I therefore, at this moment, deem xamarin a failure !
    yes it may work on their blogs and video channels but they have the real access to the "how to" and we don't
    and it doesn't work.
    Last edited by bugsi; Oct 21st, 2017 at 12:12 PM.

Banned

Re: my war with xamarin (visual studio C#)

oh yeah, and every app that is not a single view app
    yes the blank apps also don't work.

You don't want to know.

Yes, since the things you saw in videos don't work on your computer, it's much more likely there's some large-scale conspiracy than that you have issues on your machine.

Pick one thing that isn't working for you and post your code, and we might be able to help you. I'm way more likely to help if it's iOS-oriented, the Android emulators are hot garbage and haven't been improving. Those are from Google, it's not Xamarin's fault. Xamarin was working on a good one but Microsoft canned it when the purchase was made. Microsoft was working on a good one but gave up because "the Google emulators are adequate", which was probably code for "trying to support Android is misery".

There are reasons things aren't working, and blaming the tools isn't helping find them.
    This answer is wrong. You should be using TableAdapter and Dictionaries instead.

Banned

lets start with the wearable apps :
    I am using an android Samsung 7 edge
    and a gear frontier 3 watch
    tried a simple hello world : new project, visual C#, android, wearApp (android)
    the phone was connected to the computer, launched the app and it showed only on the phone, and nothing happened with
    the watch (and yes the watch was Bluetooth connected to the phone)

You don't want to know.

I don't have an Android Wear device so I can't directly confirm.

Have you tried with emulators? Did that work? (I understand if you can't get an emulator working, Google's emulators are tough to wrangle.)
    This answer is wrong. You should be using TableAdapter and Dictionaries instead.

Banned

when I use the emulators it shows a black screen emulator that doesn't do anything and visual studio stops responding.

how about #16 maybe you could help me with it please ?

You don't want to know.

Frenzied Member

i have not seen a usable Emulator so far (i have not searched too Long though), but i have done #6: OpenGL

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Sitten Spynne View Post
    It was solved by using a second activity but I want a smooth transition for the screen change so it is needed to
    change the apps background image programmatically without changing activity

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by digitalShaman View Post
    i have not seen a usable Emulator so far (i have not searched too Long though), but i have done #6: OpenGL
    I don't have any tutorials on how to use openGL and what it can do so I can only get that color cube default app.
    it unexpectedly worked today for some reason:
    Code:
    using System;

using Android.App;
    using Android.Content;
    using Android.Runtime;
    using Android.Views;
    using Android.Widget;
    using Android.OS;
    using Android.Content.PM;

namespace App21
    {
        // the ConfigurationChanges flags set here keep the EGL context
        // from being destroyed whenever the device is rotated or the
        // keyboard is shown (highly recommended for all GL apps)
        [Activity(Label = "App21",
                        ConfigurationChanges = ConfigChanges.KeyboardHidden,
                        ScreenOrientation = ScreenOrientation.SensorLandscape,
                        MainLauncher = true,
                        Icon = "@mipmap/icon")]
        public class MainActivity : Activity
        {
            GLView1 view;
            protected override void OnCreate(Bundle savedInstanceState)
            {
                base.OnCreate(savedInstanceState);

// Create our OpenGL view, and display it
                view = new GLView1(this);
                SetContentView(view);
            }

protected override void OnPause()
            {
                // never forget to do this!
                base.OnPause();
                view.Pause();
            }

protected override void OnResume()
            {
                // never forget to do this!
                base.OnResume();
                view.Resume();
            }
        }
    }

Banned

when I tried to do the watch app it installed something that looked like some nugget pack which may have enabled the openGL

You don't want to know.

Quote Originally Posted by bugsi View Post
    It was solved by using a second activity but I want a smooth transition for the screen change so it is needed to
    change the apps background image programmatically without changing activity
    This makes no sense to me so I think I don't understand the question.

Pages have a background image and you can set that whenever you want. That's what I think of when I think "background image". What exactly are you talking about? Can you show me the code you had to write to accomplish your task? Maybe that'll show me what you really mean. It'll at least give me something to try and reproduce.

Banned

https://yotamarker.justforum.net/t12...ckground-image
    using the 2nd activity solution you can see the screen flip over and not a smooth ideal transition you would get by changing the main activitys background.

You don't want to know.

I've been really swamped at work so I haven't tried to test, but help me understand this:

Why can't you set the background image for pages, instead of trying to set it for activities? My understanding of Android Activities is there are a lot of things you just can't do without the OS destroying the current Activity to create a new one. That's not Xamarin's fault, it's Google's choice to make that the case.

Banned

because the background is not some widget. I haven't a clue how to refer to it, how to access it.

for setting an image in an image widget for example :

adding images aka pictures :
    add the widgt imageview
    add an image file to the draweble folder in the resources folder
    asuming the image name added was mic.whatever add code :
    Code:
    ImageView IV1 = FindViewById<ImageView>(Resource.Id.imageView1);
                IV1.SetImageResource(Resource.Drawable.mic);

You don't want to know.

Ahh, I get it now.

See, I'm a Xamarin Forms developer. That's why everything was so confusing for me. In my world, we transition between Pages and each Page has a background image. The application itself also has a sort of concept of a background. That gets translated into different native iOS and Android concepts and I don't have to think about them.

As far as I can tell, an Android "Activity" is the concept I think of as a "Page". The trouble I see is it looks like the Android SDK indicates moving between two activities always destroys the "source", and it's your job to persist what you need to know to restore its state if the user returns. That might imply there's not a way to maintain a consistent background image as you transition between two Activities, but that sounds stupid so I bet it's not true.

I tried to have a look at Xamarin.Android to see if I could train myself up enough to answer, but then work got really busy. When you're working in Xamarin.Android, you actually can get good answers if you ask Android developers what to do. Since Xamarin.Android is just a C# wrapper around the Java APIs, if you can find code to do what you want in Java it's usually a brainless translation to C#. So maybe try that, some work that's just been put on me implies I'm not going to have enough free time to learn this for a while.

Banned

again, my personal opinion is that the makers of xamarin are keeping the essencial code walkthroughs to themselfs. microsoft and xamarin could solve this in less then a minute, problem is I don't know how to reach those specific people.

You don't want to know.

Post your question on stackoverflow.com, those are more or less the de facto forums for Xamarin.

But again I reiterate: you are complaining about basic facts of Android architecture and I'm pretty sure you need to talk to an Android developer to get the correct answer. Blaming Xamarin isn't going to get you to the answer faster than that.

Banned

stackoverflow.com is search engine result waste.
    useless to me

You don't want to know.

I found some answers to your question on StackOverflow in twenty seconds. Thing is: they're not all copy-paste hold-your-hand answers. One of them is a general thing that might not be doable from Xamarin Android unless it uses the weird "I can't believe it's not XAML" Android layout markup language. The other one is a comment on a no-answer thread that says to do it basically the way Xamarin Forms does it: one Activity hosting many Fragments it swaps out.

The sense I get from the amount of answers to the questions I find is "this is not a common thing Android apps do", even though I think it's a sensible requirement. The only other possible thought is, "The suggestion to use multiple Fragments is so obvious and works so well even newbies figure it out." I'm not directly an Android developer so I can't tell which is right.

Banned

fragments ???
    at any rate, I am starting to think maybe there is something that converts computer .exe files into apps.

Banned

also, it doesn't surprise me you found answers on stack over flow , the thing is nothing there works it is a click bait site.

You don't want to know.

Yes, Fragments.

If you can't transition between two Activities while maintaining a consistent background image, it seems like you can make one Activity that manages multiple Fragments and transitions between them instead.

Banned

tried your fragment solution :
    it errors.
    this XAML :
    Code:
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
    <LinearLayout xmlns:android="http://schemas.android.com/apk/res/android"
        android:orientation="vertical"
        android:layout_width="match_parent"
        android:layout_height="match_parent">
        <Button
            android:id="@+id/myButton"
            android:layout_width="match_parent"
            android:layout_height="wrap_content"
            android:text="@string/hello" />
      <fragment    android:name="Fragment_Project.FragmentOne"    android:id="@+id/fragment_place"  android:layout_width="match_parent"    android:layout_height="match_parent" />
    </LinearLayout>
    errors once I add the fragment :
    Code:
     <fragment    android:name="Fragment_Project.FragmentOne"    android:id="@+id/fragment_place"  android:layout_width="match_parent"    android:layout_height="match_parent" />

Banned

Unhandled Exception:

Android.Views.InflateException: Binary XML file line #1: Binary XML file line #1: Error inflating class fragment occurred

Banned

xamarin is a sick joke and a cruel waste of time !

You don't want to know.

You are never going to get very far if you blame any failure on your tools. So far, every step of the way, the problem has been "bugsi can't possibly have made a mistake, it must be Xamarin's fault". Here we are again.

I linked you to Android documentation. Android doesn't use XAML. Android uses AXML or some other "whoops we want XAML but won't use Microsoft's solution" name. They are mostly the same, but slightly different. When I looked for Xamarin Android fragments, I found a nice walkthrough on Xamarin's site, and there's a very obvious thing missing from your XAML if you casually glance at the walkthrough.

But you shouldn't casually glance at it, you should actually do the walkthrough so you can verify it works. (Like I did.) If it doesn't, something is wrong on your machine. Blaming Xamarin won't fix it, reinstalling might. Welcome to programmer tools, it's a miracle when they work. Let's practice:

Try the walkthrough, and if it doesn't work, instead of destroying your room like Kylo Ren, do a Google search for the error message. Read several articles, and see if those people solved their problem. If not, post it here and admit the possibility the problem is on your end, not the tool that's working for thousands of other people.

Banned

I also updated VS this week, and tried this on 2 machines on win 10 and win8.1. this is beyond my end clearly. they need to provide support for their products or they WILL collapse. they need to admit the truth of why it isn't working for me and only working in india and on james montemagno 's machine, and have charles petzold come to my house and walk me through how to get those solutions to work. just saying what I believe.

You don't want to know.

I guess everyone who uses it is wrong then, you tried copy/pasting and didn't read error messages therefore it's a bad product.

I'm out. It feels like I'm dealing with me.

Banned

I broke a chair and ripped a notebook I hope you're happy team xamarin !!!
    Last edited by bugsi; Nov 11th, 2017 at 05:40 PM.

Banned

as I said Xamarin will be destroyed !

-link removed by moderator-
    and that's not even getting warmed up yet
    Last edited by dday9; Jul 23rd, 2018 at 09:36 AM.

i'm not sure what the solution is in xamarin, but android has containers you store pages in and they aren't destroyed when flipping between them unless you explicitly destroy the old one. It's how the back button functions.
    My light show youtube page (it's made the news) www.youtube.com/@artnet2twinkly
    Contact me on the socials www.facebook.com/lordorwell

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Orwell View Post
    i'm not sure what the solution is in xamarin, but android has containers you store pages in and they aren't destroyed when flipping between them unless you explicitly destroy the old one. It's how the back button functions.
    yes I am using android studio, I have all the walkthroughs here :
    http://www.lulu.com/shop/moti-barski...-23839016.html
    xamarin is garbage tbh

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Orwell View Post
    yes I am using android studio, I have all the walkthroughs here :
    http://www.lulu.com/shop/moti-barski...-23839016.html
    xamarin is garbage tbh