Thread: [RESOLVED] Junction tables and queries.

Fanatic Member

Resolved [RESOLVED] Junction tables and queries.

One of my applications is using tables from an Access database. The tables have a many-to-many relationship that is dealt with by using a Junction table, see below:

Name:  TableView.jpg
Views: 470
Size:  81.3 KB
    In the Junction table of the dataset I have setup the following query:

SELECT tblSourceMaster.intSiTechID, tblSourceMaster.strVendorName,tblSourceMaster.strVendorID
    FROM ((lnkItemVendor
    INNER JOIN tblItemMaster ON tblItemMaster.intSiTech = lnkItemVendor.intSiTechItemID)
    INNER JOIN tblSourceMaster ON tblSourceMaster.intSiTech = lnkItemVendor.intSiTechVendorID)
    WHERE (lnkItemVendor.intSiTechItemID = ?)

I call the query from a button event in a form:

LnkItemVendorTableAdapter.FillBySiTechItemID(Me._MasterBase3_0ItemMasterDataSet.lnkItemVendor, glbintIDNum)

I get the following error:

Name:  relatedTables.jpg
Views: 431
Size:  58.6 KB

I can see that the problem is with the two joins after the equal signs. However, I cannot understand why there is no value there. Can anyone explain to me what I am doing wrong. Anything beyond a simple query is not my strong suit.

PowerPoster

Re: Junction tables and queries.

One thing I noticed,
    Code:
    INNER JOIN tblItemMaster ON tblItemMaster.intSiTech = lnkItemVendor.intSiTechItemID) 
    INNER JOIN tblSourceMaster ON tblSourceMaster.intSiTech = lnkItemVendor.intSiTechVendorID)
    I didn't see intSiTech list in either the tblItemMaster or tblSourceMaster

Fanatic Member

Re: Junction tables and queries.

Yeah, I was caught in error yet again (sheepish face imoge). To be fair I am somewhat dyslexic and it took me a really, really long time to find the problem. In the two lines of the of the join you have there I finally saw what was missing. In the ON parameters I had .intSiTech and they should have been .intSiTechID.
    Thanks for the catch. I have been working on this since yesterday morning and could not, for the life of me, see the error in the parameters. I have been running the query since changing that and it provides exactly what I was after.