Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Installing the VB6 IDE on Windows 10 - 64 bit.

Re: Installing the VB6 IDE on Windows 10 - 64 bit.

I don't see where you installed service pack six. That is important to do.
    Please remember next time...elections matter!

PowerPoster yereverluvinuncleber's Avatar

What's in the shims?

@TysonLPrice: That's the Vs6sp6B.exe package.

@yereverluvinuncleber: Here's a screenshot of what's in that .SDB file:

Name:  Shims.png
Views: 4265
Size:  37.2 KB

As often stated, it's inadvisable to set one of the compatibility groups, as they fix certain things and break others. The above shims are all you need to get VB6 running quite well on Win10.

EDIT1: And nothing is needed for a compiled VB6 program. This is only needed for the IDE to run smoothly.

EDIT2: And as a further FYI, with Win10, we lose the handles when multi-selecting controls on a form in design mode. We can still multi-select ... we just don't get to see what was selected. And also, when you first load the IDE, there's often a small (sort of minimized) form in the middle of the screen. That's just something in the bowels of the VB6 IDE. If you minimize, and then re-normalize the IDE, that little form will be gone (i.e., hidden). I've learned to ignore both of these, and am still thrilled that the IDE works as well as it ever did.
    Last edited by Elroy; Feb 8th, 2019 at 05:37 PM.
    Any software I post in these forums written by me is provided "AS IS" without warranty of any kind, expressed or implied, and permission is hereby granted, free of charge and without restriction, to any person obtaining a copy. To all, peace and happiness.

First class, thankyou very much.

Quote Originally Posted by Elroy View Post
    Hi yereverluvinuncleber,

Yes, it just so happens, I installed VB6 on a Win-10-64 system last Tuesday. It literally just took me a few minutes. Here's all I did:

• Put a zero-byte MSJAVA.DLL in the C:\Windows folder.
    • Copy my folder named "Files from Root of CD", from a VB6-Pro CD.
    • Execute the Setup.exe from above folder.
    • Do "Custom" install, and make sure the "ADO and RDS" option was unchecked.
    • (I skipped the MSDN step on this install.)
    • When that's done, I unzipped and installed the Vs6sp6B.exe package.
    • I took my VB6_IDE_Shims.sdb file and placed it into C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\VB98 folder.
    • Also copied a file I've got named Install_Shims.cmd into that folder.
    • Drug the VB6_IDE_Shims.sdb onto the Install_Shims.cmd file.
    • Right-clicked the VB6.exe, and, on the compatibility tab, made sure the "Run As Administrator" was checked.

And voila, everything worked perfectly. I sometimes have trouble with that msdatsrc.tlb file, but I didn't this time. I've attached a zip with the VB6_IDE_Shims.sdb and Install_Shims.cmd files, but they are also discussed rather thoroughly above (and in referenced links).

I get a tremendous amount of work done with VB6, and am absolutely thrilled that it continues to run on the most contemporary Windows OSs.

Take Care,
    Elroy

Installing: VB6 Enterprise Edition CD:

I've tried installing VB6 on to my new installs of W7 & W10.
    I have the following problems/queries...

1: As I have the Enterprise Edition,
    Q1: Do I need to install the empty file: MSJAVA.DLL ?
    (NB: See posts 36,37,38)

2: In Post 1, at Heading: Before Starting, para 6 says...
    '...However, during installation you should be sure to un-check the "Update Microsoft Virtual Machine for Java" checkbox. That option is entirely unnecessary.'

But if I do this, it then it disables its [Next] button, and clicking its [Exit] button, terminates the install!

However:
    a: Post 4 says:
    'The Enterprise version does not have the java issue.

(Q2: So what does this mean? Do I tick to update Java, or what?)

Just need to custom install and under data access uncheck the ado/ole/rds option
    once installed set the IDE to run as admin
    should work fine, On other version once past the java message should be the same as above.'

b: Post 22, shows a way round this, but I'm not at all sure how to do that!?
    (Q3: If I need to do this, can you explain how?)

3: Your Steps 2 & 3, says:
    'Copy my folder named "Files from Root of CD", from a VB6-Pro CD.'
    'Execute the Setup.exe from above folder.'

Q4: So do I have to copy my CD's contents to a folder on my PC?
    Can't I just 'Execute the Setup.exe' from the CD?

4: Your Steps 7,8,9:
    Post 5 says: He 'installed Professional edition', and 'I run the IDE as administrator and no shims or whatsoever.'
    Q5: Do I need the Shims?

5: Your Step 9:
    Q6: What does this mean?

Many thanks.
    Last edited by macmacmac; Apr 22nd, 2019 at 07:40 AM.

Hi macmacmac,

Q1 & Q2: My latest installs have been the Professional (not Enterprise) edition, so I'm not entirely sure about the Java checkbox. However, it should never hurt to create the zero-byte MSJAVA.DLL and then stick it in your C:\Windows folder. So, I'd just always do it. Regarding unchecking Java, if you can't proceed with it unchecked, then just check it and proceed (making sure the zero-byte MSJAVA.DLL was done before doing that).

Q3: I think we're now talking about the "ADO and RDS" option. You should always uncheck this, as directed. The rest of the options really don't matter, and are your preference.

Q4: No, you don't have to copy your CDs. You can install directly from them if you like. The only reason that's mentioned is because there have been several reports of CDs going bad or getting damaged.

Q5: Yes, I would say that you need shims. If you try and use the compatibility settings (i.e. large-shim-groups), you will fix some things and break others. Specifically, it seems that using any level of the compatibility settings breaks the Shell command (and the ShellExecute API call). There may be other things broken as well. And, if you don't use anything, VB6 struggles and becomes sluggish because of some of the desktop composition settings. Therefore, a couple of shims do seem necessary. I believe instructions on how to do this are well discussed above.

Q6: "Drug the VB6_IDE_Shims.sdb onto the Install_Shims.cmd file." Is that what we're talking about? If so, it just means to open a copy of Windows Explorer, and then drag the VB6_IDE_Shims.sdb shims database file and drop it onto the Install_Shims.cmd file, such that the Install_Shims.cmd is executed with the VB6_IDE_Shims.sdb as a command line argument. Another way to say this is that you're using the Install_Shims.cmd as a program to open/install the VB6_IDE_Shims.sdb shims database. You could open a command prompt and do it, but doing it with Windows Explorer is easier.

Good Luck,
    Elroy
    Any software I post in these forums written by me is provided "AS IS" without warranty of any kind, expressed or implied, and permission is hereby granted, free of charge and without restriction, to any person obtaining a copy. To all, peace and happiness.

Elroy: Thanks for your earlier rely.

So I tried installing into W7, without success...

1: Earlier I added the empty file: MSJAVA.DLL
    2: I rebooted W7, and inserted the CD, and clicked the install popup.
    3: I get a popup telling me that there are known compatibility issues, and offering me the options to go online for further info, but no info comes up.
    4: So I click its [Run Program] button.
    5: I accept its license agreement.
    6: Enter product number/ID
    7: Select Custom install
    8: I get another popup telling me that there are known compatibility issues,
    and I click its [Run Program] button.
    9: Product ID number is displayed.
    msg: Setup is searching for installed components
    10: After awhile its page header says (not responding)

I terminate the install and tried again...
    and after step8 above, I get a popup that says:
    Setup could not remove file: C:\Windows\vssetup.ttf

I try clicking its buttons several times eg: [Retry] & [Ignore]
    msg: Setup has been corrupted. A NULL Window handle argument was passed to UIStartDlg

I tried again several times, but get a similar outcome.

Hi macmacmac,

The first thing that comes to mind is to make sure that you're running as an Administrator on whatever machine you're on.

And yes, those compatibility warnings are a nuisance, and everyone just ignores them, clicking through them.

The "Setup is searching for installed components" is a bit of a mystery. You might see if VB6 is listed in your Control Panel programs list. If it is, try uninstalling it before another installation attempt. I've never gotten into a situation where things were so borked that I needed to do this, but Dan Brust has a blog where he talks about "uninstalling" VB6 "the hard way". You may want to specifically focus on that stuff in the Remove Any Remnants section.

Dan also has a VB6 installer, but I've never used it. I hear your problems, but I've always managed to get it going with the Setup.exe by just continually kicking it. I've installed on about every Windows OS there is through the years (95 forward).

Notice: Others are certainly welcome to reply if they've had a problem similar to this.

Best of Luck,
    Elroy

Hello,

I have followed the steps as provided above except
    •I took my VB6_IDE_Shims.sdb file and placed it into C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\VB98 folder.
    •Also copied a file I've got named Install_Shims.cmd into that folder.
    •Drug the VB6_IDE_Shims.sdb onto the Install_Shims.cmd file.

I am getting an error as attached in the file. Please guide me as the windows 7 laptop that has VB6 will be taken away from me.
    Attached Files Attached Files

That looks like an existing project...can you create a new, basic "Hello World" project, that runs properly or does everything crash?

Quote Originally Posted by TysonLPrice View Post
    That looks like an existing project...can you create a new, basic "Hello World" project, that runs properly or does everything crash?
    New basic projects do work. When I opened an existing project, I am facing this issue.

Quote Originally Posted by contactnagu View Post
    New basic projects do work. When I opened an existing project, I am facing this issue.
    Can you find in the application where it is failing? Maybe it is not the installation but rather missing or obsolete references or something along those lines. I have done that installation maybe a dozen times without any real issues.

May I please share the code and the project references. Please can you check and advise if this is not related to installation.

The same code works in the first instance and crashes when executed again immediately.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by contactnagu; Jan 7th, 2020 at 08:24 AM.

May I please share the code and the project references. Please can you check and advise if this is not related to installation.

The same code works in the first instance and crashes when executed again immediately.
    Dears, Kindly help me out as the Windows 7 laptop will be taken away from me and I will be stuck with the Windows 10 laptop.

Better start a new thread, this is about installing VB6 on W10.

Your VB6 environment seems to be working fine.
    For your project all needed components and references are available.
    The project works the first time you start it, but crashes on a second run.
    So something else is happening.

Quote Originally Posted by Arnoutdv View Post
    Better start a new thread, this is about installing VB6 on W10.

Your VB6 environment seems to be working fine.
    For your project all needed components and references are available.
    The project works the first time you start it, but crashes on a second run.
    So something else is happening.
    Yes. I am unable to figure out what is happening. Kindly help me out. Also, I would like to clarify that I don't have admin rights on this PC but the administrator has provided special rights to modify registry.

Also, I would like to clarify that I don't have admin rights on this PC...
    I've never heard of a VB6 installation going well without admin rights. Also, you're not going to get the shims correctly installed without admin rights. This sounds like a big problem to me. Some weak rights to write into the registry isn't going to cut it.

Frenzied Member

I recommend using Gibra's Visual Studio 6.0 Installer Wizard.

http://nuke.vbcorner.net/Home/tabid/...S/Default.aspx

It is worth reading the Help file http://www.vbcorner.net/vs6installer/index.htm

I've never heard of a VB6 installation going well without admin rights. Also, you're not going to get the shims correctly installed without admin rights. This sounds like a big problem to me. Some weak rights to write into the registry isn't going to cut it.
    Please let me know if I should try uninstalling VB6 the hard way and installing it again. Also, please let me know what this "shims" is.

You need to read the thread from its inception, I get the feeling you haven't done this at all. Start from the beginning and simply read to absorb.

Quote Originally Posted by yereverluvinuncleber View Post
    You need to read the thread from its inception, I get the feeling you haven't done this at all. Start from the beginning and simply read to absorb.
    Thanks for the comment. I will read the thread again. Please can you guide me as to where I could get the VB6 professional edition CD. I would like to try in my home PC.

Your best bet to get VB6 professional edition CD is from eBay or Amazon.

Excellent guide - got me up and running very quickly.

Just a wee update that might be useful for other users installing VB6 on Windows 10 64-bit...

One of my projects used non-standard Controls (THREED32.OCX from Sheridan Software).
    This file is available on the VB6 CD-ROM, in the folder \Common\Tools\vb\Controls.
    Copy THREED32.OCX to C:\Windows\SysWOW64, and register in an elevated-command prompt REGSVR32 THREED32.OCX.
    Ensure that 'Sheridan 3D Controls' is ticked in VB6 - Project - Components - Controls Tab

However, when you load a project that uses these non-standard controls you may see the following error message...

"License information for this component was not found. You do not have an appropriate license to use this functionality in the design environment."

Fortunately, you can register the licence for these controls by double-clicking vbctrls.reg from the same folder on the VB6 CD-ROM where you found the Controls themselves.

And that's it. Simples!

Thanks again for a top guide
    __________________________________________________________________________________________
    MorkenTheMonk
    SCOTLAND

(Stuck supporting a 16-bit VB3 application over 20 years old! Deep Joy!!!)

Lively Member

All, great information here - thanks for sharing! I'm getting ready to make the plunge on trying to install VB6 on Win10 64-bit. I was (of course) hoping for the path of least resistance, and planning to start out directly here: http://nuke.vbcorner.net/Home/tabid/...S/Default.aspx

Does anyone have any experiences to share with going this route?

PowerPoster

You will want to make a zero-byte file named MSJAVA.DLL and then copy it to your C:\Windows folder. This is a very old DLL that hasn't been used for many years, but the VB6 IDE install disks still attempt to install it. It's entirely unnecessary. Also, apparently, not all versions of the VB6 IDE have this Java issue. However, during installation you should be sure to un-check the "Update Microsoft Virtual Machine for Java" checkbox. That option is entirely unnecessary.
    There is a second way. Maybe you can include that also.

Edit the file called SETUPWIZ.INI and under the section called [setup wizard] change the entry for VmPath=ie4\msjavx86.exe, if this entry does not exist you can skip this step. We need to remove the value ie4\msjavx86.exe form this entry so it will create an empty environment variable during installation. This will stop the setup wizard from looking for and installing this very old version of MS Java on our system.
    So at the end it should look like
    Code:
    VmPath=

Krool, I made a note in the OP. Thanks for the tip.

Hi yereverluvinuncleber,

Yes, it just so happens, I installed VB6 on a Win-10-64 system last Tuesday. It literally just took me a few minutes. Here's all I did:

• Put a zero-byte MSJAVA.DLL in the C:\Windows folder.
    • Copy my folder named "Files from Root of CD", from a VB6-Pro CD.
    • Execute the Setup.exe from above folder.

Take Care,
    Elroy
    I have two Visual Basic Pro disks. Neither has a folder named: "Files from Root of CD". The dates on their folders are:
    6/28/1996
    6/27/1998
    How can I obtain the folder "Files from Root of CD"?

==== Edit:
    Never mind -- I understand now that the folder named "Files from Root of CD" is just a saved copy of the contents of the VB6 CD.
    Last edited by StanH; Nov 15th, 2020 at 11:39 PM. Reason: To correct my misunderstanding.

Quote Originally Posted by StanH View Post
    Never mind -- I understand now that the folder named "Files from Root of CD" is just a saved copy of the contents of the VB6 CD.
    Hey, sorry it took a couple of days to get back to you ... just been busy with other stuff. But yeah, I'm glad you figured it out.

I just successfully installed Visual Studio 6 Enterprise on Windows 10 64 bit and I used the instruction provided at the link below.

https://www.codeproject.com/Articles...dio-on-Windows

Frenzied Member

Vs6sp6B.exe is no longer being hosted by Microsoft we should put up a mirror with a confirmed hash

PowerPoster

Why bother? Vs6sp6D.exe became available quite a long time ago (2013?).

Frenzied Member

I will take any link to any IDE service pack 6, I havent been able to find one. I had to pull an installer off of virus total :-\
    regardless the links to whatever version this therad points to on MS are 404 "We're sorry, this download is no longer available. "

PowerPoster

Vs6sp6B.exe is available on the Wayback machine:

Code:
    https://web.archive.org/web/20060406052529/http://download.microsoft.com/download/f/0/3/f03c202d-1ce4-4267-9393-a8a4b400a982/Vs6sp6B.exe
    Good luck.

PowerPoster

Hyperactive Member

Post Re: Installing the VB6 IDE on Windows 10 - 64 bit.

Quote Originally Posted by dz32 View Post
    I will take any link to any IDE service pack 6, ...

Beware of the security rollup and cumulative updates; according to dilettante, they are riddled with bugs.

Hello,

How do I download the installer at http://nuke.vbcorner.net/VS6Installe.../Default.aspx? The download link produces no action.

Thanks in advance.

One important precursor to any installation of the VB6 IDE that I always perform is the registration of the legacy type lib msdatsrc.tlb

This command run from an elevated console:

C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v4.0.30319\regtlibv12.exe msdatsrc.tlb

This prevents errors when attempting to add a user defined control OCX to the VB6 IDE.
    When this typelib is not registered, dropping an OCX onto the VB6 tool box results in this error:

"object not registered"

I have my own personal installation instructions that have this highlighted as a precursor. It is so easy to forget the solution for such nondescript errors as that shown above.

This seems to be required on Windows 7 and above but I have only tested it on Win 7 and 10.
    https://github.com/yereverluvinunclebert

Skillset: VMS,DOS,Windows Sysadmin from 1985, fault-tolerance, VaxCluster, Alpha,Sparc. DCL,QB,VBDOS- VB6,.NET, PHP,NODE.JS, Graphic Design, Project Manager, CMS, Quad Electronics. classic cars & m'bikes. Artist in water & oils. Historian.

By the power invested in me, all the threads I start are battle free zones - no arguing about the benefits of VB6 over .NET here please. Happiness must reign.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12