Thread: filter thingy

filter thingy

trying to have all instances of a character typed in a textbox removed from a list box(the whole line).this is what i have so far:

Code:
    Private Sub filter_Click()
       Dim i As Integer
         For i = 0 To List1.ListCount - 1
            If Right(List1.List(i), 1) = Text1.Text Then List1.RemoveItem (i)
          Next i
       Label1.Caption = List1.ListCount
    End Sub
    it kinda works(sometimes)but i can't fix it.pretty sure it's the "if right" part is the problem but it's way beyond my skills.only been doing this less than a week.thanks for any help.

Re: filter thingy

Hard to determine exactly what you are doing? Can you give us an example of what the list items may contain and what Text1 may contain?
    Insomnia is just a byproduct of, "It can't be done"

Classics Enthusiast? Here's my 1969 Mustang Mach I Fastback. Her sister '67 Coupe has been adopted

Newbie? Novice? Bored? Spend a few minutes browsing the FAQ section of the forum.
    Read the HitchHiker's Guide to Getting Help on the Forums.
    Here is the list of TAGs you can use to format your posts
    Here are VB6 Help Files online

{Alpha Image Control} {Memory Leak FAQ} {Unicode Open/Save Dialog} {Resource Image Viewer/Extractor}
    {VB and DPI Tutorial} {Manifest Creator} {UserControl Button Template} {stdPicture Render Usage}

Quote Originally Posted by LaVolpe View Post
    Hard to determine exactly what you are doing? Can you give us an example of what the list items may contain and what Text1 may contain?

list might contain:

person@mail.com
    #rep

depending on what file the person wants to load into the list box.i'm mainly using it for proxy addresses.the text box would have what the person wants removed.like any line that has "#,@,*,%," etc.

So, the textbox is a comma-delimited filter of sorts? I assume you are splitting the textbox and processing each 'token'?

Sounds like you want to compare the start of the listbox items to the current token, i.e.,
    If Left$(List1.List(i), Len(sToken)) = sToken Then ' hit

Or if any part of the list item can match:
    If InStr(List1.List(i), sToken) > 0 Then ' hit

Note: That if looking for an exact match or partial match at the beginning of the list items, APIs can be far faster to find hits. Search forum for these key words: LB_FINDSTRING and LB_FINDSTRINGEXACT. The API usage cannot do partial matches unless the match starts at the beginning of the list item.

Classics Enthusiast? Here's my 1969 Mustang Mach I Fastback. Her sister '67 Coupe has been adopted

Newbie? Novice? Bored? Spend a few minutes browsing the FAQ section of the forum.

{Alpha Image Control} {Memory Leak FAQ} {Unicode Open/Save Dialog} {Resource Image Viewer/Extractor}
    {VB and DPI Tutorial} {Manifest Creator} {UserControl Button Template} {stdPicture Render Usage}

So, the textbox is a comma-delimited filter of sorts? I assume you are splitting the textbox and processing each 'token'?

Sounds like you want to compare the start of the listbox items to the current token, i.e.,
    If Left$(List1.List(i), Len(sToken)) = sToken Then ' hit

Or if any part of the list item can match:
    If InStr(List1.List(i), sToken) > 0 Then ' hit

Note: That if looking for an exact match or partial match at the beginning of the list items, APIs can be far faster to find hits. Search forum for these key words: LB_FINDSTRING and LB_FINDSTRINGEXACT. The API usage cannot do partial matches unless the match starts at the beginning of the list item.

wow,way over my head lol.to simplify:a person loads their text file into List1 and there items that contain the character "@"......they type "@" in Text1 and every line that has "@" is removed.sorry i didn't explain it better before.

Code:
    If Left$(List1.List(i), Len(Text1.Text) = Text1.Text Then ' hit
    Above is likely what you are looking for. When you gave the textbox content example of "#,@,*,%," I was interpreting that as the textbox value, not what you appear to be clarifying which would be interpreted as "#", "@", "*", etc.

Edited: After re-reading your last post, this line "they type "@" in Text1 and every line that has "@" is removed". You are looking for the 2nd example I posted in my previous reply
    Code:
    If InStr(List1.List(i), Text1.Text) > 0 Then ' hit
    Tip: If case-sensitivity is not wanted:
    Code:
    If InStr(1, List1.List(i), Text1.Text, vbTextCompare) > 0 Then ' hit
    Last edited by LaVolpe; Jul 1st, 2017 at 10:13 AM.

Code:
    Above is likely what you are looking for. When you gave the textbox content example of "#,@,*,%," I was interpreting that as the textbox value, not what you appear to be clarifying which would be interpreted as "#", "@", "*", etc.

Edited: After re-reading your last post, this line "they type "@" in Text1 and every line that has "@" is removed". You are looking for the 2nd example I posted in my previous reply
    Code:
    If InStr(List1.List(i), Text1.Text) > 0 Then ' hit
    Tip: If case-sensitivity is not wanted:
    Code:
    If InStr(1, List1.List(i), Text1.Text, vbTextCompare) > 0 Then ' hit

replaced:

Code:
    Private Sub filter_Click()
       Dim i As Integer
            If Right(List1.List(i), 1) = Text1.Text Then List1.RemoveItem (i)
          Next i
    End Sub

with:
    Code:
    Private Sub filt_Click()
        Dim i As Integer
           Next i
       End Sub

couldn't get it to work....

No offense, but I just gave you a replacement for this part of your original code: If Right(List1.List(i), 1) = Text1.Text
    Why it didn't work, because you are not doing anything once your determined a hit. In fact, you should have gotten an error: no End If

Re-read my edited text in previous reply. You'll want to use the InStr() function to find partial matches anywhere in the list item. For example, Left() won't work if @ is in the middle of the text. InStr() will work.

No offense, but I just gave you a replacement for this part of your original code: If Right(List1.List(i), 1) = Text1.Text
    Why it didn't work, because you are not doing anything once your determined a hit. In fact, you should have gotten an error: no End If

Re-read my edited text in previous reply. You'll want to use the InStr() function to find partial matches anywhere in the list item. For example, Left() won't work if @ is in the middle of the text. InStr() will work.

ok,thanks for your help.i'm sure if i go through all the previous posts i'll get it