Page 13 of 34 FirstFirst ... 31011121314151623 ... LastLast

Thread: VBFlexGrid Control (Replacement of the MSFlexGrid control)

PowerPoster

Re: VBFlexGrid Control (Replacement of the MSFlexGrid control)

Quote Originally Posted by lizano diaz View Post
    Hello Krool, excellent grid control, what I would suggest is to add very important functions such as:
    1.- That you have the option of sorting in ascending and descending order by clicking on the column header.

2.- A very important one that acquires the windows theme regardless of the version for a better appearance.

3.- The selectionbyrow row that is in the style of windows 7.

4.- add Extendedlastcol to the property. equal to that of the VsFlexgrid8.

Thank you very much for your effort and your work.
    This theme of some modern latest operating systems, as well as the UI style.Need developers with strong graphic design skills. I also need to know more about all kinds of knowledge. You can also use some other way to achieve, such as picture frame and so on.This is more difficult.

Great work, Krool!

May we ask the licensing terms for this control?

PowerPoster

4.- add Extendedlastcol to the property. equal to that of the VsFlexgrid8.
    I'm willing to include that feature, as version 1.5 OCX will emerge anyway someday.
    I have not an vsFlexGrid at hand (anymore) so I cannot test it. What makes me wonder in the documentation of VsFlexGrid is following remark.
    This property only affects painting. It does not modify the ColWidth property of the last column.
    This would be possible to replicate. However, what is the behavior for example for column re-sizing ? I would be confusion to have something "only painted" but not based upon "facts".
    You get it? What shall I do? Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by R.J. Dunnill View Post
    May we ask the licensing terms for this control?
    What do you mean? It's for free.

I think they mean if you add an additional column add the end, then the previous last column gets it's original width.

I use the vsFlexGrid in multiple applications and when simulating lists with it then I always set the .ExtendLastCol property.
    I also set the gridlines to none (or the same color as the cell background).
    Resizing of columns is still possible, but I never use the .ColWidth property for anything is this scenario.

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by Krool View Post
    This would be possible to replicate. However, what is the behavior for example for column re-sizing?
    In ExtendedLastCol-mode, "Mouse-based"-resizing will not be possible (on the current last Column).

And "Program-code-based"-ColWidth-changes on the current "last-column" will happily accept the new value,
    but without affecting the "visual auto-stretching" (which simply ignores the current ColWidth-value of that last-column).

Only when you add - or better; "allow an additional column" in a given Grid-View to be the "new last-column",
    will the current ColWidth-setting (of the former last-column) be respected in the rendering-output.

Olaf

PowerPoster

Thanks Olaf for explanation.
    One further question: Does it refer to the last visible* column (ColHidden = False and ColWidth > 0) or to the last physical column (no matter what) ?

*technically visible, does not matter if currently "visible" in current viewport.

Do you want me to test somethings using the vsFlexGrid8?
    Attached Images Attached Images     
    Last edited by Arnoutdv; May 5th, 2021 at 08:13 AM.

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by Arnoutdv View Post
    Do you want me to test somethings using the vsFlexGrid8?
    Thanks. What is .MouseCol reporting when you are in the "painted only" area?

PowerPoster

It returns the last column index. For example, in a 3 column grid with ExtendLastCol=True, .MouseCol will return 2 when the mouse moves over the extended area.

Note: Focus rectangle also draws the full painted/extended width of the column even though .ColWidth returns a lesser width:

Name:  VsFlexGrid8MouseCol.jpg
Views: 911
Size:  35.2 KB
    Last edited by jpbro; May 5th, 2021 at 12:07 PM.

Lightbulb Re: VBFlexGrid Control (Replacement of the MSFlexGrid control)

Thanks Krool for reading the comment, regarding VsFlexgrid 8 here, its properties: http://helpcentral.componentone.com/...andmethods.htm
    It would be very interesting for our VbFlexgrid control to implement as the ExtendLastCol. and another also that takes the Windows theme regardless of the version of it to be able to give greater and elegance to the control.
    Attachment 181317

PowerPoster

If each cell can set a different font. And you can set the font shadow.You can set a transparent background image for a cell.

Set up a background image to the entire form or screenshots behind the controls as a background. (The principle is equivalent to hiding the control there in the control above the control over the control.)This makes a perfect transparency effect. It's like the IOS cell phone.We can understand that he is a form.
    Microsoft's operating system desktop, he is also a table.Each cell contains a picture plus text.

PowerPoster

Attachment 181319
    Can EXCEL set up a background picture? Simulate an apple phone desktop with a table.
    A background picture wallpaper, add a lot of icons and names for applications.
    Just like the resource manager folder, you first have a background image, and the thumbnail plus text is displayed in each file.

PowerPoster

????
    Or set a semi-translucent shadow of a pure color, and the transparency can be adjusted.
    Because there is a cell background picture, the text may not be clear above, so you need to set the shadow to the text, just like the subtitles of the movie.
    For example, a background image whose main color is black, if the text above is black, you need to add a white font border.

i have not tested your control carefully.If it can be set above a few rows, the left few columns are fixed.For example, you can add a sequence number to the left. Also add a row of additional data at the top. Like ABCD.And the table inside Binding data recordset ado.This is like an excel control.Directly modify the cell automatically updated to the database inside.
    Last edited by xiaoyao; May 5th, 2021 at 04:51 PM.

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by MountainMan View Post
    Patience is a virtue and I like to think I'm virtuous so I'll wait... Thanks.
    My patience is not enough. It is often desirable for the inventor of the control to add more functionalityNext, I hope to contribute some source code to add to it.

Control is the accumulation of human knowledge wealth.Many times, only the author can add those features.Just like VB6 has stopped updating for many years.Even if you get the source code, not everyone can directly improve it.So in the author is very interested, have time to do control upgrade, we have to work together as much as possible to complete this work.

Fanatic Member

This post by lizano diaz (ID: 5520898) gives the authorization code directly, which violates the author’s intellectual property rights. Admin, Please delete it asap.
    Last edited by DaveDavis; May 6th, 2021 at 01:04 AM.

Hi, so how could I implement the selectionmode: FlexSelectionmodefreebyRow property of the VbFlexgrid in an MshFlexgrid of Vb 6.0 more specifically how I can move the focus between columns but at the same time be selected the row.

Thanks

Attachment 181320

Hyperactive Member

Quote Originally Posted by xiaoyao View Post
    My patience is not enough. It is often desirable for the inventor of the control to add more functionalityNext, I hope to contribute some source code to add to it.

Control is the accumulation of human knowledge wealth.Many times, only the author can add those features.Just like VB6 has stopped updating for many years.Even if you get the source code, not everyone can directly improve it.So in the author is very interested, have time to do control upgrade, we have to work together as much as possible to complete this work.
    xiaoyao, I understand that English is not your first language but I have to say I am disturbed by your approach here and some other threads. It is not clear to me that your goal is to help all of us make a better and more useful product or whether it is to attempt to get some members here to switch to VBF. There is another set of threads in this forum to post comments about other flavors of VB but you seem intent to make your pitch for VBF throughout the VB6 threads.

Let's assume for a minute that you really want a better VB6 product. You seem to be demanding in an aggressive way that Krool address your imorivement suggestions. In this thread and the VBCCR thread we have a programmer (Krool) who has spent countless hours of his own free time over the past 10 years to make these controls. He doesn't have to do this. He doesn't get paid for his efforts. You are out of line by demanding improvements. We all should be incredibly grateful for his efforts that we benefit from. If we get anything more than what he has done to date then that is even better. There are many authors on this site that give freely of their time whether it is providing guidance or providing usable code we can all use. I am not a moderator but I think you are getting very close to being banned.

If you want improvements from an author it is up to you to sell your vision to the author so he/she can decide to spend the extra time to address what you want. Alternatively you can write the code yourself.

Be thankful for what we get from this site. It is truly a gift and you would benefit from a bit of patience...

PowerPoster

You didn't see my effort.I'm just suggesting. Add the function of transparency.After I came up with the idea. It took me a few days to realize this function.Then send the source code up, equivalent to several people to complete this function。
    I also spent half a day to try to add my code into the results can not be done completely, because this more than 14, 000 lines of code, I simply do not understand.

A lot of people are simply making random statements without any testing.
    I've made some things very clear.It is not easy for the author to develop such a great control.Others want to modify many situations, 99% of people can not do it.

So what we can do is to actively contribute our own code while the author is still updating it frequently. Minimize his stress. It's equivalent to everyone developing this thing together.

I'm just proposing a generic module where each control can have a transparent background.
    If every writer came to study it, maybe a minute could be added.I hope that eventually my module will allow these authors to configure it in ten seconds.
    Just like VB.NET, it can choose the background color of the control or be directly transparent.

There are about twenty pages of replies to this topic. I showed him half awake and half asleep in the morning.
    I also developed a lot of small controls. Also like to do a lot of control encapsulation. So I'm reading every page of your comments carefully.
    Last edited by xiaoyao; May 5th, 2021 at 10:29 PM.

PowerPoster

It is too much to say that I force the author to add functions?
    I just wish I could be a Contributor. I've already written some code, and I don't know how to incorporate it.

If you want this control to be more powerful, it's best to track it all the way back to the first version. If can see every word, oneself also add code, such was best.
    But many people's level is completely out of reach. The simplest original version can not be modified. Personal programming level, experience varies too much.
    Last edited by xiaoyao; May 5th, 2021 at 10:50 PM.

My company is interested in using the VBFlexGrid to overcome issues with the MSFlexGrid which the posting in GitHub at https://github.com/Kr00l/VBFLXGRD seems to have addressed. We do not find or see any mention of a copyright or Open-Source License agreement at either the GitHub site or in the code files at the GitHub site. As a software company we recognize the rights of authors, even those that have posted without copyright or Open-Source licenses, and therefore would like to request express permission from you, the author, to use and distribute this VBFlexGrid to address the issues posed by the MSFlexGrid. Please let us know that we have your express permission.

PowerPoster

My company is interested in using the VBFlexGrid to overcome issues with the MSFlexGrid which the posting in GitHub at https://github.com/Kr00l/VBFLXGRD seems to have addressed. We do not find or see any mention of a copyright or Open-Source License agreement at either the GitHub site or in the code files at the GitHub site. As a software company we recognize the rights of authors, even those that have posted without copyright or Open-Source licenses, and therefore would like to request express permission from you, the author, to use and distribute this VBFlexGrid to address the issues posed by the MSFlexGrid. Please let us know that we have your express permission.
    Permission granted.

Permission granted.
    Thank you so much!

Permission granted.
    With your permission, I will fork the GitHub project to a VBFLXGRD.NET open-source project (which we would be pleased to develop in parallel with the VBFLXGRD).

PowerPoster

With your permission, I will fork the GitHub project to a VBFLXGRD.NET open-source project (which we would be pleased to develop in parallel with the VBFLXGRD).
    WHICH URL ABOUT VBFLXGRD.NET?
    What is the difference between it and our control?

I'm willing to include that feature, as version 1.5 OCX will emerge anyway someday.
    I have not an vsFlexGrid at hand (anymore) so I cannot test it. What makes me wonder in the documentation of VsFlexGrid is following remark.

This would be possible to replicate. However, what is the behavior for example for column re-sizing ? I would be confusion to have something "only painted" but not based upon "facts".
    You get it? What shall I do? Thanks

WHICH URL ABOUT VBFLXGRD.NET?
    What is the difference between it and our control?
    It will be migrated to VB.NET and WinForms, and be 64-bit compatible. (VB6 ActiveX UI controls don't work with 64-bit processes.)

PowerPoster

It will be migrated to VB.NET and WinForms, and be 64-bit compatible. (VB6 ActiveX UI controls don't work with 64-bit processes.)
    I recommend to base on the "Standard EXE" version as this is the leading source.
    From time to time it derives to the ActiveX control version when enough new features were bundled.
    For example. The "standard exe" version now allows frozen rows/cols. This is not in place yet for the ActiveX version 1.4 as it will derive when version 1.5 is put in place.

I recommend to base on the "Standard EXE" version as this is the leading source.
    From time to time it derives to the ActiveX control version when enough new features were bundled.
    For example. The "standard exe" version now allows frozen rows/cols. This is not in place yet for the ActiveX version 1.4 as it will derive when version 1.5 is put in place.
    Thank you!

Hi, Krool:

I submitted a request to company Legal to use the migrated VBFlexGrid in our product, and they pushed back with this:

Quote Originally Posted by Company Legal
    Thank you for granting permission to use the VBFlexGrid . We’ve consulted our Legal department and per their response on usage and advice, Copyright is an automatic right and therefore you, the author of this code, hold the copyright for it. Unless you, the author, take the action to publish the code under an open-source license, such as MIT or Apache 2.0, the code cannot be classified as “open-source licensed”. We could still use the code in the situation that it is not licensed under an open-source license (MIT or Apache 2.0), but we would need you, the copyright holder, to provide us some terms of use above “permission granted”.

We believe the easiest way to overcome this licensing issue presented by our Legal department is if your intention is for third parties to freely use the code, then adding a LICENSE field/file in the GitHub repository indicating that usage is allowed under a permissive open-source license such as MIT, Apache 2.0., etc. would resolve the issue. We also have open-source software that we offer, and we use the MIT license.
    Would this be a problem? (For convenience, please find attached a blank MIT license.) license.txt
    Last edited by R.J. Dunnill; May 19th, 2021 at 09:22 PM. Reason: Added blank MIT license

PowerPoster

Thanks Krool for reading the comment, regarding VsFlexgrid 8 here, its properties: http://helpcentral.componentone.com/...andmethods.htm
    It would be very interesting for our VbFlexgrid control to implement as the ExtendLastCol. and another also that takes the Windows theme regardless of the version of it to be able to give greater and elegance to the control.
    Attachment 181317Attachment 181425
    which is bbs page?it's look nice

PowerPoster

Would this be a problem? (For convenience, please find attached a blank MIT license.)
    I added now for both VBCCR and VBFLXGRD a MIT license.md file in the GitHub repo.

I added now for both VBCCR and VBFLXGRD a MIT license.md file in the GitHub repo.
    Thanks again!

Posted deleted.
    Last edited by R.J. Dunnill; May 19th, 2021 at 09:21 PM.

Addicted Member

Quote Originally Posted by softv View Post
    Dear Krool,

Thanks a TON, as ever, for your wonderful contributions to the society.

Well, you have written as follows in your above quoted post (Dt. Nov 14th, 2020)
    // This way there is a internal way of forcing a scroll, even if there is no scrollbar. (of course the 'Scroll' event will not be fired as no scrollbar exist) //

But then Krool, I did not know how to force the scroll by studying your code. Can you kindly show me an example code snippet please, to force a scroll, even if there there are no visible scrollbars (both vertical and horizontal).

Basically, I wish to allow my users to use the mouse to scroll up and down the VBFlexgrid, fully, even when the 'ScrollBars' property is set to vbSBNone(0) in the 'Properties' sheet. Actually I achieved this by writing suitable code (under Case WM_MOUSEWHEEL) in the WindowProcControl function of the FlexGrid control and it works well too but what you have written seems to suggest a very simple and straightforward method. So, kindly let me know how to effect the same. Thanks in advance.

Prayers and Kind Regards.
    Dear Krool,

I am very much awaiting your reply for my above question (posted in Jan 2021). In case you have answered and I have missed it, I am really very sorry. Kindly bear with me. Please let me know the link to your answer.

My question in a nutshell is:
    How to scroll the VBFlexGrid with mouse, even when the 'ScrollBars' property is set to vbSBNone(0)?

In case a simple and straightforward method does not exist and writing suitable code (under Case WM_MOUSEWHEEL) in the WindowProcControl function of the FlexGrid control is the only way to go, kindly confirm the same.

I very much understand how difficult it is to develop such intricate controls and also answer members'/users' queries. That's why I am writing to you again only after 4 months.

Thanks a TON ever ever ever, for your stupendous free controls, Krool. I simply adore your selfless nature.

Kind Regards.

PowerPoster

I tested a virtual table Listview yesterday. It has a scroll bar, in fact it does not load any data. When the scroll bar scrolls, it automatically reads an array or dynamically assigns data.

I don't know if this control has this method?
    For example, specify an array of one million rows. In fact, only the data of the first page is displayed. If scrolling to the 80th page, it only shows the data on that page.

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by softv View Post
    How to scroll the VBFlexGrid with mouse, even when the 'ScrollBars' property is set to vbSBNone(0)?
    Not possible. Even if you handle something by code or subclass. The LeftCol/TopRow are locked when vbSBNone is set.

I don't know if this control has this method?
    For example, specify an array of one million rows. In fact, only the data of the first page is displayed. If scrolling to the 80th page, it only shows the data on that page.
    The VBFlexGrid supports virtual data source via it's .FlexDataSource property. (IVBFlexDataSource must be implemented in the source)

PowerPoster

Is there a simple test project?
    about:The VBFlexGrid supports virtual data source via it's .FlexDataSource property. (IVBFlexDataSource must be implemented in the source)

If a two-dimensional array has 300,000 rows of data, 20 columns。
    If we modify the length of this array in the middle, it will become 400000 rows of data.
    Suppose the first row of the control is already the last row of the last 300, 000 data.After the data capacity is increased, if flex control displays 40 pieces, it will display another 39 pieces of data.Then the maximum value of the scroll bar is increased by another one hundred thousand.
    Last edited by xiaoyao; May 16th, 2021 at 06:40 AM.

PowerPoster

Is there a simple test project?
    about:The VBFlexGrid supports virtual data source via it's .FlexDataSource property. (IVBFlexDataSource must be implemented in the source)

If a two-dimensional array has 300,000 rows of data, 20 columns。
    If we modify the length of this array in the middle, it will become 400000 rows of data.
    Suppose the first row of the control is already the last row of the last 300, 000 data.After the data capacity is increased, if flex control displays 40 pieces, it will display another 39 pieces of data.Then the maximum value of the scroll bar is increased by another one hundred thousand.
    There is a good demo already -> VB6 VBFlexGrid (virtual DataBinding to SQLite-Recordsets)

Frenzied Member

Not possible. Even if you handle something by code or subclass. The LeftCol/TopRow are locked when vbSBNone is set.
    IMO, LeftCol and TopRow should not be locked when Scrollbars = ScrollBarsNone.

PowerPoster

it's bind to rc6.record,how to bind vb6 adodb.recordset?
    how to bind vb6 array?
    dim Arr()
    redim arr(rows-1,cols-1)
    bind to array

The design is very good, and there are many common interfaces. They should all be implemented. It is a matter of time.
    Last edited by xiaoyao; May 16th, 2021 at 03:28 PM.

Fanatic Member

Hi Krool
    I was using the VbFlexgrid 1.3 ocx and I wasable to use the datasource property without issue
    Code:
    Set VBFlexGrid1.FlexDataSource = DataSource.BindTo(Rs)
    Now I'm using the VbFlexgrid 1.4 ocx, I get error type mismath.
    thank you

Page 13 of 34 FirstFirst ... 31011121314151623 ... LastLast