Thread: parameters Value Order

Addicted Member

Red face parameters Value Order

friends;
    Code:
    UPDATE Table1 SET Table1.Pname = "@Pr1"
    WHERE (((Table1.ID)="@pr2") AND ((Table1.City)="@pr3") AND ((Table1.telephone)="@pr4"));

command.parameters.addwithvalue("@Pr2",10);
    command.parameters.addwithvalue("@Pr4","416546546565");
    command.parameters.addwithvalue("@Pr3",Paris);
    command.parameters.addwithvalue("@Pr1","ssdsd");
    i ask about if parameters is the same name

in sql code and when enter parameters value

is there any problem in the code above

should i arrange the parameters

or the above code is right

thank you for your help and answer?

Re: parameters Value Order

If you are using a SqlCommnd that should work as it supports named parameters, other providers may not work.

Easiest way is probably to run the code and see if it works or not.

For SQL Server and Oracle, they both support named parameters, so they can be added in any order, as long as the names match. For Access, it uses Ordinal Positioning, so the order you Parameters.Add DOES matter, though the names do not. I'm not sure about MySQL..

Generally speaking, I personally add the parameters in the same order they appear in the query, but that's just a personal organizational thing.

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

Addicted Member

Quote Originally Posted by PlausiblyDamp View Post
    If you are using a SqlCommnd that should work as it supports named parameters, other providers may not work.

i'm using oledbcommand

Addicted Member

Quote Originally Posted by techgnome View Post
    For Access, it uses Ordinal Positioning, so the order you Parameters.Add DOES matter, though

-tg
    techgnome
    i'm using access

Code:
    UPDATE Table1 SET Table1.Pname = "@Pr1"
    WHERE (((Table1.ID)="@pr2") AND ((Table1.City)="@pr3") AND ((Table1.telephone)="@pr4"));
    command.parameters.addwithvalue("@Pr1","ssdsd");
    command.parameters.addwithvalue("@Pr2",10);
    command.parameters.addwithvalue("@Pr3",Paris);
    command.parameters.addwithvalue("@Pr4","416546546565");
    is the arrange like the above code or Parameters run by using sql code arrange because i know the WHERE is run first part in sql code

Since you are using Access, then you must add them IN THE SAME ORDER THEY APPEAR ... so since @Pr1 is first in your query it MUST be added first.

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

You've already been given all the information you need.
    Quote Originally Posted by PlausiblyDamp View Post
    Did you do that? Did it work or not? If it did then the code is correct and if it didn't then it's not. You never need to ask whether code will work or not when you can simply run it for yourself.
    Quote Originally Posted by techgnome View Post
    For Access, it uses Ordinal Positioning, so the order you Parameters.Add DOES matter, though the names do not.

Generally speaking, I personally add the parameters in the same order they appear in the query...
    Nothing ambiguous about that.