Thread: Suggestion: Select/Copy Code Button

Lightbulb Suggestion: Select/Copy Code Button

Hi! I have a suggestion to improve VBForums. In code boxes or code highlight boxes, there should be a small button next to "code:" (nothing flashy) when clicked, it selects and/or copies the code within.
    Code:
    You should be able to copy this.
    VB Code:
    1. This too, excluding line numbers, obviously.
    What do you all think? It won't change a whole lot, but it's a nice little update.
    Thanks,
    ~Nic

Re: Suggestion: Select/Copy Code Button

The "buttons" we use are built into vBulletin. Am rather certain there isn't a button like you suggested.
    Wi-fi went down for five minutes, so I had to talk to my family....They seem like nice people.

Right... that's what he's suggesting. I've seen it on other sites... he's not talking about in the editor... but in the posts themselves, when ever there is a code block, to also have a button that will copy the contents of that code block to the clipboard.
    Like here - https://www.codeproject.com/Articles...mation-in-flat ... scroll down to the code blocks and on the right there is "hide" and "copy code".

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

Tech - that doesn't appear to be a vBulletin site....

There are tons of addins/plugins for vBulletin...but we don't use them...

BUT, rumor has it that vBulletin 5.x is being tested for release here... Maybe it has the option.

Quote Originally Posted by techgnome View Post
    Right... that's what he's suggesting. I've seen it on other sites... he's not talking about in the editor... but in the posts themselves, when ever there is a code block, to also have a button that will copy the contents of that code block to the clipboard.
    Like here - https://www.codeproject.com/Articles...mation-in-flat ... scroll down to the code blocks and on the right there is "hide" and "copy code".

-tg
    Yes, exactly that! A "hide" button wouldn't be a bad idea either. Sometimes the code blocks are unnecessarily large and it would be nice to read the post uninterrupted. Again, nothing that's needed too badly, but would be nice to have.