Thread: How to send a notification to the user that the file is in use by another program

Lively Member

How to send a notification to the user that the file is in use by another program

How do you send a notification to the user that the program cannot Autosave a file, while it is in use on another program? It cannot be saved even if there is a timer on the program on the RichTextBox_TextChanged event(). Here is the function:

Code:
    Private Sub AutosaveFile()

Dim path As String = (My.Computer.FileSystem.SpecialDirectories.Desktop & "\Common-Mistakes-Backup.rtf")

' This text is added only once to the file.
                If File.Exists(path) = False Then

Using fs As FileStream = File.Create(My.Computer.FileSystem.SpecialDirectories.Desktop & "\Common-Mistakes-Backup.rtf")
                    fs.Close()
                    ' Save the contents of the RichTextBox into the file.
                    RichTextBox1.SaveFile(path, RichTextBoxStreamType.RichText)
                    Timer1.Start()

End Using

End If

Try
                ' Delete the file if it exists. 
                If File.Exists(path) = True Then

Timer1.Start()

End If

Catch ex As Exception
                Console.WriteLine(ex.ToString())
            End Try

End Sub
    Last edited by nqioweryuadfge; Jul 15th, 2016 at 09:19 AM.

You don't want to know.

Re: How to send a notification to the user that the file is in use by another program

Catch the exception and display a MessageBox.

Re: How to send a notification to the user that the file is in use by another program

Please clarify these points:
    After the comment 'Delete the file... you never delete a file. Is the code incomplete?
    What is the purpose of the timer?
    As Sitten said, Catch the exception, but make sure to catch the specific exception so you do not lose control of other possible problems.
    More important than the will to succeed, is the will to prepare for success.

Please rate the posts, your comments are the fuel to keep helping people

Because it bothered me so... I boiled down your code down to this:
    Code:
        Private Sub AutosaveFile()

Dim path As String = (My.Computer.FileSystem.SpecialDirectories.Desktop & "\Common-Mistakes-Backup.rtf")
            Try
            Catch exInUse As IO.IOException
                MessageBox.Show("Unable to save the file, it is locked by another process.") 'This is where it shouild go for a locked file
            Catch ex As Exception
                Console.WriteLine(ex.ToString())
            End Try

End Sub

Private Sub Timer1_Tick(sender As Object, e As EventArgs) Handles Timer1.Tick
            Timer1.Stop()
            AutosaveFile()
            Timer1.Start()

End Sub
    I'm not sure why you had it so complicated or what the point of the stream was for... all you needed to do is attempt to save the file, if it fails, you handle it... otherwise you go on. The timer should be stopped & restarted inside the tick event, not the autosave...

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

Lively Member

techgnome

Your answer was very good, you write very clean code. Thanks, I have given you a strong reputation.

Lively Member

Sitten Spynne

Good answer too, I had already figured a good way to do that. I have given you a good reputation too!