Thread: Calculating Decibels of a server

Calculating Decibels of a server

Hi,

Could someone please calculate the decibels of a computer server given the following:

Voltage: 0.6V
    Power usage: 1KW

Tried using an online calculator but it gives a different result depending on what parameter I enter.

Thanks,

Nightwalker83
    when you quote a post could you please do it via the "Reply With Quote" button or if it multiple post click the "''+" button then "Reply With Quote" button.
    If this thread is finished with please mark it "Resolved" by selecting "Mark thread resolved" from the "Thread tools" drop-down menu.
    https://get.cryptobrowser.site/30/4111672

Re: Calculating Decibels of a server

I have taken the non-math approach an download the "Sound Meter" app for Android.
    when you quote a post could you please do it via the "Reply With Quote" button or if it multiple post click the "''+" button then "Reply With Quote" button.
    If this thread is finished with please mark it "Resolved" by selecting "Mark thread resolved" from the "Thread tools" drop-down menu.

Quote Originally Posted by Nightwalker83 View Post
    Hi,

Could someone please calculate the decibels of a computer server given the following:

Voltage: 0.6V
    Power usage: 1KW

Tried using an online calculator but it gives a different result depending on what parameter I enter.

Thanks,

Nightwalker83
    The decibel calculation is done using a ratio of 2 values which are normally 2 power values (i.e. powerOut/powerIn). I'm not sure it make sense to calculate the decibels of 0.6V and 1KW. Now if you had the current consumption at 0.6V, you could then get the decibels using
    dB = 10* LOG ((0.6V * I)/1KW)
    Process control doesn't give you good quality, it gives you consistent quality.
    Good quality comes from consistently doing the right things.

Vague general questions have vague general answers.
    A $100 donation is required for me to help you if you PM me asking for help. Instructions for donating to one of our local charities will be provided.

The consumption for the whole unit is 1000w if that helps?

Edit:

I tried to calculate the decibels using an online calculator and it came out at 30Db or -4.4V. However, when I used the app mentioned in post #2 the Db came out as between 70Db and 90Db which, I am told is what it should be. I think the calculators were only doing the calculation for one fan whereas this server has three fans.
    Last edited by Nightwalker83; Jul 2nd, 2016 at 09:50 PM. Reason: Adding more!

I could use a little context for this. Normally decibels are in reference to sound pressure, but not always. pH calculations use the same equation (10*LOG(ratio of Hydronium ions)). In your case, you have mentioned voltage and watts, and sound so I'm not sure what you are trying to figure out. I can say that dB's are calculated by taking the LOG of some ratio. It needs to be a ratio because the LOG works on a unitless number. So I'm not sure it makes sense to say LOG(x Volts) or LOG(x Volts/y Watts). It does make sense to say LOG(x Volts/y Volts).
    So if you explain a bit more about what you are trying to do and where your number are coming from it would help.
    kevin
    Process control doesn't give you good quality, it gives you consistent quality.
    Good quality comes from consistently doing the right things.

Vague general questions have vague general answers.
    A $100 donation is required for me to help you if you PM me asking for help. Instructions for donating to one of our local charities will be provided.

Yeah, I would have thought that Db was calculated using wattage. Although, seeing as I am not really familiar with it I just included the other values such as it mention on the calculators.

I am trying to confirm the number of decibels given by the server as picked up by the app mentioned in post #2 to make sure the calculations are correct. I am thinking of soundproofing the server I am trying to calculate the Dbs of.