With the pending end of free upgrades to Windows 10 coming, I wondered if this is figuring into anyone's decisions.

Yes, it impacts Win8/Win8.1 users but they're already more than halfway aboard anyway. I was thinking of Windows 7 users and also pre-Win7 users who have copies of Win7 they've been postponing installing until they have to.

Anyone who expects to upgrade to Win10 eventually anyway might well consider this the last push they need to get around to installing Win7.

Obviously doing an upgrade install from WinXP or Vista to Win7 and then turning around and upgrading that to Win10 could result in a dicey and possibly flaky result. So where possible it usually makes more sense to do a clean install.

You'd probably at least want to do a clean Win7 install and upgrade that. As far as I know once that completes you could then turn around and do a clean Win10 install once your product key has been "upgraded" since you can download a full Win10 image to do a clean install from.

So...

Any thoughts on "getting it in gear" to take advantage of the free Win10?

Any thoughts on the whole upgrade install vs. clean install, and in particular the clean Win10 install subsequent to an upgrade from Win7?