Thread: Computer running slow

Computer running slow

Hi,

I have an old desktop machine which, I have not used for about 6 months or more. The problem with this machine is it seems to running really slow as if some thing is taking up the memory. However, in the task manager it says only between 5% to 10% is being used, the desktop machine currently has 8GB ram. The amount of space being used on the system drive is 77GB. The size of the drive is 465GB.

I have tried doing a system restore but the system still continues to have the same problem after multiple SR attempts. I have tried to reinstall the Operating System afresh as well as do a repair but the system will not allow it.

Thanks in Advance,

Nightwalker
    when you quote a post could you please do it via the "Reply With Quote" button or if it multiple post click the "''+" button then "Reply With Quote" button.
    If this thread is finished with please mark it "Resolved" by selecting "Mark thread resolved" from the "Thread tools" drop-down menu.
    https://get.cryptobrowser.site/30/4111672

Re: Computer running slow

Scan for malware.

I had a Win XP machine for 12 to 14 years... It sure seemed slow when I compared it to my office i5 machine..... Wonder if you're stuck in the same trap?
    Wi-fi went down for five minutes, so I had to talk to my family....They seem like nice people.

I have scanned the computer and removed 8 viruses/malware. Still not able to get the correct time to display in Windows even after changing DST/Time Zone, etc. I will have another try tomorrow to see if I can reinstall the Operating System.
    when you quote a post could you please do it via the "Reply With Quote" button or if it multiple post click the "''+" button then "Reply With Quote" button.
    If this thread is finished with please mark it "Resolved" by selecting "Mark thread resolved" from the "Thread tools" drop-down menu.

Check the CMOS battery for the date/time issue. Battery may be dead.
    And yes, old computers seem to run much slower after they're not being used for a while. It's not because they get slower but rather because we get used to faster computers during that time. I recently had to do an OEM restore a 9 year-old laptop running Windows XP. I swear that when I got that laptop 9 years ago, it felt blazing fast like a Ferrari. Now, after 9 years and a factory reset, it feels so slow that can't understand how I could use it and had any productivity back then. Thanks God I don't have to use it now - just wiping it clean to give away. And yes, I also had to replace the CMOS battery on this laptop since the time didn't keep up either (losing several hours/day)
    Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.
    - Abraham Lincoln -

Sinecure devotee

What operating system are you running on the older machine?
    If it is Win7 then on the performance tab of the Task manager you might have a button labeled "Resource Monitor".
    The Resource Monitor will show you more information about processes' memory and CPU usage which may not show up it the Task Manager's list of processes.

Quote Originally Posted by stanav View Post
    Check the CMOS battery for the date/time issue. Battery may be dead.
    And yes, old computers seem to run much slower after they're not being used for a while. It's not because they get slower but rather because we get used to faster computers during that time. I recently had to do an OEM restore a 9 year-old laptop running Windows XP. I swear that when I got that laptop 9 years ago, it felt blazing fast like a Ferrari. Now, after 9 years and a factory reset, it feels so slow that can't understand how I could use it and had any productivity back then. Thanks God I don't have to use it now - just wiping it clean to give away. And yes, I also had to replace the CMOS battery on this laptop since the time didn't keep up either (losing several hours/day)
    Ah ok! Thanks for the information.

Quote Originally Posted by passel View Post
    What operating system are you running on the older machine?
    If it is Win7 then on the performance tab of the Task manager you might have a button labeled "Resource Monitor".
    The Resource Monitor will show you more information about processes' memory and CPU usage which may not show up it the Task Manager's list of processes.
    It was Windows 7 Home but I have formatted the drive and put Windows 7 Professional on and started reinstalling the programs. Although, when Windows 7 home was installed before the format less than 10% of the resources were being used and the mouse was still being laggy.

Frenzied Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nightwalker83 View Post
    I have tried to reinstall the Operating System afresh as well as do a repair but the system will not allow it.
    What do you mean it won't allow you to reinstall the OS???

My bet is on something hammering the drive rather than the CPU. Refreshing the indexes or Windows updates which can take many hours even on machines that haven't sat forever or virus scanning. If it stayed that way for more than a day then I don't know.

I think I may have been trying to format the drive incorrectly! I have not formatted the drive and reinstalled the Operating System.