Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Live Chat - Let's Do It!

Re: Live Chat - Let's Do It!

I feel this is on topic

Quote Originally Posted by Sitten Spynne View Post
    People who write the kind of project I'm thinking of need it to work for 20 years. The kind of people excited about C#'s progression towards a functional language tend to think in terms of 2 years, and are open to full rewrites if they manage to create a mess they can't clean up.

20-year programmers need to learn a process that works and works forever. They can't be updating the codebase constantly. They've got more 20-year systems to write. The targets they're chasing move, but rarely move quickly.

2-year programmers are so used to seat-of-their-pants they aren't averse to rewriting the application if a sea change happens. The targets they're chasing often disappear before they hit it.
    I know we have some steady job folk here on the forum - kareninstructor comes to mind - doing some kind of state job in Oregon. TG just changed jobs. Shaggy codes for fish!

I'm a contract programmer - ISV - my jobs are all over the place.

I did a gig at Sealed Air fixing Y2K problems in old COBOL LOB software (where I first learned EDI) - without that bubble wrap you wouldn't be shipping much yourself

I did a gig at Anthem BC/BS - more COBOL.

Did I tell you I don't know COBOL?

At Sealed Air they made me work on a data mining app that used DIBOL - some odd FORTRAN'y like language.

Did I tell you I didn't know DIBOL?

I've written pocket PC app's in VB - that hardware barely had a two year lifespan.

I've written WPF proof-of-concept code in C# - just because the temp I hired preferred it and the APress book I had was C#.

I've written Android code in that odd Java-like language Eclipse uses. And I now write more JavaScript then anything else!

It's not all 2 year vs. 20 year programmers - so it doesn't all turn into C#-youth vs. VB-geriatrics. Boxes man - boxes - I don't need no stinkin' boxes...

Coming from the mini-computer world 20 years ago - coming into the PC world - I was shocked at the hobby like nature of VB6. I was used to Digital VAX's with a 30 manual heavily documented sys lib / api stuff.

Since I coded BASIC prior - and .Net was way too new - I migrated my clients to the VB6 world. All in all it did the job 100% to the level it needed to.

With the advent of .Net - MS has given huge legs to the future of the BASIC syntax. Finally a library that gives full access to the API at your fingertips.

My experiences with ASP.Net eight years ago could have led me to a completely different backend (PHP?) for my current web app - but I saw the power of the .Net library. And the path of least resistance was to stick with BASIC for my backend CRUD code.

I've seen you point out all the syntax sugar that VB now has that mirrors C# - with that said aren't the two languages basically the same?

I don't think any of that was your "weird technical stuff". I tend to not group people if I can help it - lots of individuals here with lots of different experience levels in both coding and problem solving. Some college learned - some self taught - some individuals - some workers-in-cubicles.

We must all have BASIC in common or we would not even be on this site.
    Last edited by szlamany; Jun 17th, 2016 at 04:53 PM.

*** Read the sticky in the DB forum about how to get your question answered quickly!! ***

Please remember to rate posts! Rate any post you find helpful - even in old threads! Use the link to the left - "Rate this Post".

Some Informative Links:
    [ SQL Rules to Live By ] [ Reserved SQL keywords ] [ When to use INDEX HINTS! ] [ Passing Multi-item Parameters to STORED PROCEDURES ]
    [ Solution to non-domain Windows Authentication ] [ Crazy things we do to shrink log files ] [ SQL 2005 Features ] [ Loading Pictures from DB ]

MS MVP 2006, 2007, 2008

Quote Originally Posted by brad jones View Post
    Future chats are likely to cover a variety of broad topics at a higher level. They might touch on things like "the best methodology for developers, "build vs buy", "evolution: what's after OOP?", "things we'd like to see in (Vb, C#, C++, ASP, xxx)", "Advice from the Pros to the Newbies", "the impact of 'cloud' on devs", or all kinds of stuff.
    I would be interested in a chat on cloud adoption.

Maybe a chat on the use of modern databases - document - key-value - graph.

*** Read the sticky in the DB forum about how to get your question answered quickly!! ***

Please remember to rate posts! Rate any post you find helpful - even in old threads! Use the link to the left - "Rate this Post".

Some Informative Links:
    [ SQL Rules to Live By ] [ Reserved SQL keywords ] [ When to use INDEX HINTS! ] [ Passing Multi-item Parameters to STORED PROCEDURES ]
    [ Solution to non-domain Windows Authentication ] [ Crazy things we do to shrink log files ] [ SQL 2005 Features ] [ Loading Pictures from DB ]

MS MVP 2006, 2007, 2008

Quote Originally Posted by szlamany View Post
    I would be interested in a chat on cloud adoption.

Maybe a chat on the use of modern databases - document - key-value - graph.
    Both of these are great topics.

I've looked at clouds from both sides now....

I was willing to agree with Sitten's first post, then not so much with the clarification. I don't care about what ASP.NET does, and I'll use whatever language I need for the project at hand, but for some of the cooler stuff it's in C#. That's not because it has to be, it's because that's what the developers decided to use. XNA started out as C#, Xamarin is C#, and so on. There's no fundamental reason why that should be, and XNA embraced VB before it died.

I kind of think that VB has always been looked down on by C language developers. That just seems to be continuing with the innovation going to C# for the same reason. It may stay that way and it may not....but it probably will.....whatever, fish don't care.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

Quote Originally Posted by brad jones View Post
    (or even small things)

I'm surprised you (Rob) aren't following hashtags when you are at your car events.... .
    I do use social media when at my shows etc but no one really uses twitter. IG and Snap Chat are dominant.
    VB/Office Guru™ (AKA: Gangsta Yoda®)
    I dont answer coding questions via PM. Please post a thread in the appropriate forum.

Microsoft MVP 2006-2011
    Office Development FAQ (C#, VB.NET, VB 6, VBA)
    Senior Jedi Software Engineer MCP (VB 6 & .NET), BSEE, CET
    If a post has helped you then Please Rate it!
    Reps & Rating PostsVS.NET on Vista Multiple .NET Framework Versions Office Primary Interop AssembliesVB/Office Guru™ Word SpellChecker™.NETVB/Office Guru™ Word SpellChecker™ VB6VB.NET Attributes Ex.Outlook Global Address ListAPI Viewer utility.NET API Viewer Utility
    System: Intel i7 6850K, Geforce GTX1060, Samsung M.2 1 TB & SATA 500 GB, 32 GBs DDR4 3300 Quad Channel RAM, 2 Viewsonic 24" LCDs, Windows 10, Office 2016, VS 2019, VB6 SP6

Quote Originally Posted by RobDog888 View Post
    I do use social media when at my shows etc but no one really uses twitter. IG and Snap Chat are dominant.
    What.. no facebook?
    when you quote a post could you please do it via the "Reply With Quote" button or if it multiple post click the "''+" button then "Reply With Quote" button.
    If this thread is finished with please mark it "Resolved" by selecting "Mark thread resolved" from the "Thread tools" drop-down menu.
    https://get.cryptobrowser.site/30/4111672

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12