Thread: [RESOLVED] Plug'N'Play Ethernet to USB adapter?

Resolved [RESOLVED] Plug'N'Play Ethernet to USB adapter?

Hi,

Does anyone know of any plug and play ethernet to USB adapters? I bought a Comsol USB 3.0 to Gigabit Ethernet adapter however, the computer I am trying to convert to wireless inter is a self-contained unit in this case a a bitcoin miner.

Thanks,

Nightwalker
    when you quote a post could you please do it via the "Reply With Quote" button or if it multiple post click the "''+" button then "Reply With Quote" button.
    If this thread is finished with please mark it "Resolved" by selecting "Mark thread resolved" from the "Thread tools" drop-down menu.
    https://get.cryptobrowser.site/30/4111672

PowerPoster

Re: Plug'N'Play Ethernet to USB adapter?

Plug and Play does not mean "doesn't need drivers" and isn't specific to just USB but all peripheral adapter buses on the computer.

An OS like Windows includes a set of drivers for common devices. Whenever there isn't an existing driver installed that matches the device you get prompted to provide a driver.

Even when a stock driver will work some devices work better (or are more full-featured) when a specific driver is installed for them. That's why (for example) there are tons of specialized USB Mouse drivers as well as the generic USB HID Mouse Device driver, PS/2 Mouse Device driver, etc.

I can't imagine where a USB Ethernet adapter figures into "convert to wireless" anyway though.

If this black box isn't running Windows the odds are smaller that any random USB device plugged into it will be viable anyway. Linux distributions for example tend to have pseudo-PnP at best and seldom include a wide range of drivers. Unless the device is incredibly common there may not even be a driver for that device and flavor of Linux OS.

Quote Originally Posted by Nightwalker83 View Post
    Hi,

Does anyone know of any plug and play ethernet to USB adapters? I bought a Comsol USB 3.0 to Gigabit Ethernet adapter however, the computer I am trying to convert to wireless inter is a self-contained unit in this case a a bitcoin miner.

Thanks,

Nightwalker
    You're asking about an ethernet (cabled network) to usb adapter, but then continue on about using wireless (non-cabled network) adapter.. which are you looking for?
    Currently using VS 2015 Enterprise on Win10 Enterprise x64.

CodeBank: All ThreadsColors ComboBoxFading & Gradient FormMoveItemListBox/MoveItemListViewMultilineListBoxMenuButtonToolStripCheckBoxStart with Windows

Quote Originally Posted by JuggaloBrotha View Post
    You're asking about an ethernet (cabled network) to usb adapter, but then continue on about using wireless (non-cabled network) adapter.. which are you looking for?
    Well, I have the bitminer which, at the moment can only be connected to the internet via ethernet. What I was thinking I could do was use my laptop as a inbetween between the bitminer and the router,

Example

Bitminer --ethernet--Laptop---Wireless---router! However, that doesn't work. I think it is because the laptop doesn't not act like a router in the way the router assigns ip address, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by dilettante View Post
    Plug and Play does not mean "doesn't need drivers" and isn't specific to just USB but all peripheral adapter buses on the computer.

An OS like Windows includes a set of drivers for common devices. Whenever there isn't an existing driver installed that matches the device you get prompted to provide a driver.

Even when a stock driver will work some devices work better (or are more full-featured) when a specific driver is installed for them. That's why (for example) there are tons of specialized USB Mouse drivers as well as the generic USB HID Mouse Device driver, PS/2 Mouse Device driver, etc.

I can't imagine where a USB Ethernet adapter figures into "convert to wireless" anyway though.

If this black box isn't running Windows the odds are smaller that any random USB device plugged into it will be viable anyway. Linux distributions for example tend to have pseudo-PnP at best and seldom include a wide range of drivers. Unless the device is incredibly common there may not even be a driver for that device and flavor of Linux OS.
    Maybe my explanation above with make it more clear as to what I am trying to achieve? The operating system on the Bit Miner is Android so I am not sure it will work?

Edit:

I am currently trying to setup a Raspberry Pi as portable router to see if that will work.
    Last edited by Nightwalker83; Jun 7th, 2016 at 08:38 PM. Reason: Adding more!
    when you quote a post could you please do it via the "Reply With Quote" button or if it multiple post click the "''+" button then "Reply With Quote" button.
    If this thread is finished with please mark it "Resolved" by selecting "Mark thread resolved" from the "Thread tools" drop-down menu.

Quote Originally Posted by Nightwalker83 View Post
    Well, I have the bitminer which, at the moment can only be connected to the internet via ethernet. What I was thinking I could do was use my laptop as a inbetween between the bitminer and the router,

Example

Bitminer --ethernet--Laptop---Wireless---router! However, that doesn't work. I think it is because the laptop doesn't not act like a router in the way the router assigns ip address, etc.

Maybe my explanation above with make it more clear as to what I am trying to achieve? The operating system on the Bit Miner is Android so I am not sure it will work?

Edit:

I am currently trying to setup a Raspberry Pi as portable router to see if that will work.
    Can you post a link to the tech spec's of this device? I would like to know the hardware specs, software specs would be nice too though.

CodeBank: All ThreadsColors ComboBoxFading & Gradient FormMoveItemListBox/MoveItemListViewMultilineListBoxMenuButtonToolStripCheckBoxStart with Windows

The technical specifications for the bit miner

http://bitminers.com.au/product/1000gh-bitminer-t1/

It does not mention which operating system it uses but looking in the system setting on the device it says Android version 4.2.2.

After looking at it, it doesn't look like you can add wireless to it directly.
    What I think you'll need to do is use a network cable to connect it to a wireless access point that's configured to be a wireless bridge from your wireless router.
    I don't know what you can do for getting an access point set as a bridge, I think there are devices that exist that you can buy, but I do know a regular router that has DD-WRT installed can be configured to be a glorified wireless bridge. See more about DD-WRT bridge: Wireless Bridge - DD-WRT Wiki

Here's an Amazon search for wireless bridge devices: https://www.amazon.com/s?ie=UTF8&fie...eless%20bridge

PowerPoster

If your goal is "bitcoin mining" something to keep in mind is that profitability is so close to zero that your cost for power and cooling determines whether you gain or lose money. And anything you gain is just bitcoin, which isn't always that easy to pay your electric bills with.

See Bitcoin Mining Profitability and other resources.

Quote Originally Posted by JuggaloBrotha View Post
    After looking at it, it doesn't look like you can add wireless to it directly.
    What I think you'll need to do is use a network cable to connect it to a wireless access point that's configured to be a wireless bridge from your wireless router.
    I don't know what you can do for getting an access point set as a bridge, I think there are devices that exist that you can buy, but I do know a regular router that has DD-WRT installed can be configured to be a glorified wireless bridge.
    Ah ok! I will look into that.

Quote Originally Posted by dilettante View Post
    If your goal is "bitcoin mining" something to keep in mind is that profitability is so close to zero that your cost for power and cooling determines whether you gain or lose money. And anything you gain is just bitcoin, which isn't always that easy to pay your electric bills with.
    Yeah, I know! I am just interested to see whether it did something more than anything.

PowerPoster

So just buy a HooToo TripMate Nano (or larger product in the series) or another vendor's similar product. I see sellers offering those for $18 AUS.

Find the manual online first though to be sure they accept a client on the Ethenet port, it might just be an upstream port.

Ah ok!

I managed to get my Raspberry Pi setup as a portable router. Using DNS I was able to connect to the Bit Miner via the ethernet cable connected to the Raspberry Pi.