Thread: HDMI Cable or driver issues

HDMI Cable or driver issues

Hi,

I had been happily playing games on my pc until recently when the HDMI cable which, has sort of a alligator clip at both ends, this makes it difficult to sit in the back of the tower in the slot for the HDMI cable.

When I do manage to get it seated correctly, I sometimes do not have any luck receiving video/graphic output. I have tried swapping the HDMI cable out with one on another machine which, works, except that when playing games the sound and video are slow and stutter.

I have already tried revalidating the game files to make sure they are all working and updating hardware drivers. However, none of these solutions have seemed to have worked.

Any advice?

Thanks,

Nightwalker
    when you quote a post could you please do it via the "Reply With Quote" button or if it multiple post click the "''+" button then "Reply With Quote" button.
    If this thread is finished with please mark it "Resolved" by selecting "Mark thread resolved" from the "Thread tools" drop-down menu.
    https://get.cryptobrowser.site/30/4111672

PowerPoster

Re: HDMI Cable or driver issues

I've never heard of connectors as you describe them (alligator clips?), maybe you can find or take a picture and post it?

HDMI sockets are often in odd locations that can make it difficult for plugs to be seated firmly. There are right-angle and pivoting "adapters" (just a socket and plug "extender") and cables with such plug-ends integrated.

In the early days HDMI cables were often horribly priced and quite a few were of inferior quality which drove people to buy even more pricey "monsta cable" type cables. These days there are plenty of good quality cheap and even "thin wire" HDMI cables, so maybe you need to just get one and try it. Maybe look for one with as little "shoulder" as possible? That can help fit into sockets that are crowded near other connectors on a PC's or video card's rear I/O plate.

This is one I just replaced another HDMI cable on my test machine and go it working again. Here is a picture of the a cable that was having the problem.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Nightwalker83; May 24th, 2016 at 10:57 PM.
    when you quote a post could you please do it via the "Reply With Quote" button or if it multiple post click the "''+" button then "Reply With Quote" button.
    If this thread is finished with please mark it "Resolved" by selecting "Mark thread resolved" from the "Thread tools" drop-down menu.

PowerPoster

This was a funny video:

$1,000 HDMI Cable!? - Useless Tech Over $100 Ep. 1

The embedded ad for a schmantzy keyboard with color-changing LEDs under the keys and an ARM Cortex processor was almost as funny. Only a game-tard would fall for this stuff!

Pardon?

That's a hinged HDMI cable... not alligator clips...

THESE are alligator clips...
    Name:  as-alligator-clips_03.jpg
Views: 409
Size:  17.6 KB

Now I see why it failed... hinges don't belong in cables as far as I am concerned. It's a big point of failure. While I've never had the need for hinged HDMI cables, if I ever do, I'm going to get one that has the bend built into it.

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

Ah ok! Yeah, find those hinged cables a pain because they can fall out of the socket by themselves. I went to Office Works on Wednesday and bought another one because that was the one type they had. I am not sure what other types of HDMI cables are available but I might try looking for another type. Although, i am not sure how the HDMI cable would be causing an issue? While I originally experience lag in the video response that seems to have fixed itself but the sound is still laggy. I updated the drivers, fully un/reinstalled games but the lag still persists. Although, it only seems to occur with the modern games but not the games such as Doom, Quake, Wolf3d, etc.

What screen resolution do you play your games at? HDMI only supports resolutions up to 1080p (full HD - 1920x1080). If you play at resolutions higher than that, you'll experience lags and stutters.
    Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.
    - Abraham Lincoln -

Quote Originally Posted by stanav View Post
    What screen resolution do you play your games at? HDMI only supports resolutions up to 1080p (full HD - 1920x1080). If you play at resolutions higher than that, you'll experience lags and stutters.
    Ah! Yeah, I have the screen resolution set at 1920x1080 at the moment however, it seems it is now a problem with the sound rather than video.

PowerPoster

HDMI 2.0 supports 2160p (4K UHD or 3840×2160). So all you need is an adapter, monitor, and non-crap cable to go above 1080p.

If you assume "HDMI" means "HDMI 1.x" then yes, there is a limit of about 1200p prior to HDMI 1.3 but I'm not sure why such an assumption is valid.

Frame-rate is another factor of course.