Thread: Looking for some game design ideas

Lively Member

Looking for some game design ideas

Okay, so I have been studying Media and Art design for some time. I was originally looking for a job as a character designer for CGI and video games but it has been difficult to nail any positions without any official production experience. It has been a year since I have applied to any sort of design positions lately because I am currently employed else where.

I have made the decision though to try and start my own design company. "design" can entail a lot of things, but specifically I want to design video games. To be quite honest, one of the most difficult things about designing a game is coming up with the basic idea. One can probably come up with a lot of ideas that would sound like a lot of fun, however the truth is when you are working by yourself you have to come up with ideas that are realistic. You have to consider the scope of the design work and whether or not it can produced within a reasonable amount of time.

Above all, the idea needs to be fun. It can sound cool, but if it doesn't turn out to be any fun then you need to scrap the idea.

Anyway, I am hoping to get some ideas from people. Currently I am working on some character concepts that are founded in Science Fiction. The idea is that you play the role of a smuggler who sneaks onto an alien vessel and steals some of there technology. What I am struggling with is what sort of technology does he steal and what does it do?

My thoughts were that the technology would give him augmented abilities and protection (maybe some sort of suit?). I am trying to lay the ground work for providing the player with some cool game play features that would make the player feel incredibly powerful, but still vulnerable at times.

The game perspective is going to be in third person. I am thinking the main adversaries in the game will be a superior alien race.

The environment will be in an abandoned city hundreds of years after earth was evacuated because of unstable tectonic plates.

The purpose will be to simply stay alive by using the incredible technology stolen from the Alien vessel.

So the question is, what does the alien tech do? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! (By the way, I can take criticism if it sounds like the idea sucks)

PowerPoster

Re: Looking for some game design ideas

How about a game where the player starts out receiving the news that Mom has cut up her credit card because she's tired of paying off the bills for all of the stuff the player has been buying?

The player has to escape from Mom's Basement into the real world and get a job. Sometimes this means finding tools and using them to achieve goals, for example "pick up mop and mop floor" or "restock shelves" and so on. With growing skill and diligence the player can accumulate "life points" we'll call "money" and eventually he can pool resources with others to rent an apartment and move out of Mom's Basement.

Of course without Mom's Card he can't live on pizza anymore, so he must apply great skill in stretching his reserves of "money" to avoid dying early. At first he has to learn to shop and must live on things like carrots, mac n' cheese, and canned tuna until he can build "reputation" after which he is offered more challenging quests and more responsibility that get rewarded by more "money."

From there he must dodge perils such as Illness, the odd Bad Boss, random Personal Setbacks, Muggers, etc. working to raise his status as he goes. Eventually he can move to a safer neighborhood and perhaps even get his own Domicile.

Just a rough concept, but perhaps one entirely novel to the Gaming Community!

An obscure body in the SK system. The inhabitants call it Earth

Will Wright beat you to it.

I've been pondering this thread all morning and don't really have a useful answer. The problem is that a good game doesn't really require a good "plot" concept so it's hard to offer one to you. Angry Birds is a rubbish idea but it was a massive seller. I can't believe the concept for Worms ever got past the first pitch. Tetris... well Tetris doesn't have any plot concept at all.

Looking at the game industry shouts out one major message to me: sod your plot, start with the game play. The plot can be any cheap-ass veneer you choose to lay over the top afterwards. I think the solitary exception to that rule would be Role Playing games and even they seem to lack a plot half the time (particularly the Multi Player Online variety). If your gameplay is solid any plot will do. If your gameplay is dull, no plot is going to save it.

Edit> For an object lesson in what happens when bad gameplay meets a great plot read up on what happened to Atari's ET.
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter - Winston Churchill

Hadoop actually sounds more like the way they greet each other in Yorkshire - Inferrd

Boaty McBoat Face
    "Code is like humor. When you have to explain it, itís bad." - Cory House
    VbLessons | Code Tags | Sword of Fury - Jameram

An obscure body in the SK system. The inhabitants call it Earth

You, Sir, are a comedy genius
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter - Winston Churchill

Hadoop actually sounds more like the way they greet each other in Yorkshire - Inferrd

PowerPoster

Suggest you mock up any ideas you have in Project Spark and see if they play well - doesn't make sense to invest too much effort if they don't...