Thread: [RESOLVED] Unable to use RAM

Resolved [RESOLVED] Unable to use RAM

Hi,

I had one 8GB stick of RAM installed under Windows 7 (32bit) but it only said 3.93 GB was usable out of the maximum 4GB allow under 32bit Operating Sysyems. However, now I have upgraded to Windows 7 64bit with two 8GB sticks but it only shows 8GB installed and 7.86GB of RAM usable.

I tried the following but it did not help:

Click Start , type msconfig in the Search programs and files box, and then click msconfig in the Programs list.
    In the System Configuration window, click Advanced options on the Boot tab.
    Click to clear the Maximum memory check box, and then click OK.
    Restart the computer.

Any advice?

Thanks,

Nightwalker
    when you quote a post could you please do it via the "Reply With Quote" button or if it multiple post click the "''+" button then "Reply With Quote" button.
    If this thread is finished with please mark it "Resolved" by selecting "Mark thread resolved" from the "Thread tools" drop-down menu.
    https://get.cryptobrowser.site/30/4111672

Re: Unable to use RAM

Many mobo's in store bought machines like Dell and HP have a smaller Max amount of ram..

Check out the scanner tool here: http://www.crucial.com/ and see what it says about your mobo.
    Wi-fi went down for five minutes, so I had to talk to my family....They seem like nice people.

That is the result of the scan:

http://www.crucial.com/usa/en/scanview/8C95FAB031D926C3

(See picture)

They are both GSkill F3-14900CL9D-8GBXL. In the programing machine there are 3 sticks = 24GB and the games machine has 1 stick. Although, considering those sticks seem to be 8GB each I might just need to install the 64-bit version of Windows
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    when you quote a post could you please do it via the "Reply With Quote" button or if it multiple post click the "''+" button then "Reply With Quote" button.
    If this thread is finished with please mark it "Resolved" by selecting "Mark thread resolved" from the "Thread tools" drop-down menu.

The link you posted says you have two 4gb sticks installed and two empty slots which would explain why Windows in only seeing 8 gigs total.
    Wi-fi went down for five minutes, so I had to talk to my family....They seem like nice people.

How would I distinguish between 4GB, etc sticks of RAM as you notice in my previous post the sticker mentions 8GB.

In your previous post you stated-> I might just need to install the 64-bit version of Windows

But in your original post you said you upgraded to Win 64 bit.

Which is it?

Unfortunately no one here can read the specs on the photo you posted.

Sinecure devotee

G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB)
    That is a paired set of 4GB sticks. You have to use both sticks in a 64-bit system (one providing the lower 32-bits, and the other the upper 32-bits), for 8GB total.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve R Jones View Post
    In your previous post you stated-> I might just need to install the 64-bit version of Windows

But in your original post you said you upgraded to Win 64 bit.

Which is it?

Unfortunately no one here can read the specs on the photo you posted.
    Sorry, the text in that post was originally post before I upgraded.

Although, in the first line I posted:

They are both GSkill F3-14900CL9D-8GBXL.
    That is why we (myself and my dad) were thinking they were 8GB sticks.

Quote Originally Posted by passel View Post
    G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB)
    That is a paired set of 4GB sticks. You have to use both sticks in a 64-bit system (one providing the lower 32-bits, and the other the upper 32-bits), for 8GB total.
    I just checked on an old system of mine where I got the RAM from and it is reporting 8GB with 2 sticks of RAM.

I am guessing the sticks of RAM are coloured differently depending on how much RAM each stick is?

Edit:

So, I have 16GB spread over two pc I now need to decided whether or not to to put all four 4GB sticks, in my coding machine and buy a large amount of RAM for my gaming machine or whether 3 sticks (gaming machine) and buy an exta 4GB stick so the coding machine will have 8GB to handle its current 64bit Operating System. I doubt code will ever use 16GB of RAM but on the otherhand who know how much RAM games will use in the further but according to Microsoft Enterprise, Ultimate and Professional can handle upto 192GB of RAM.
    Last edited by Nightwalker83; Apr 18th, 2016 at 07:51 PM. Reason: Adding more!

Sinecure devotee

Quote Originally Posted by Nightwalker83 View Post
    They are both GSkill F3-14900CL9D-8GBXL
    That is why we (myself and my dad) were thinking they were 8GB sticks.
    I know. I went through the same thing a number of years ago. They are both labeled 8GB because they are a matched set of 8G total and are purchased for the purpose of being put into a complementing pair of memory slots to maximize the access speed of the memory. The slots are designed to be synchronized to alternating clocks, so each chip is alternately addressed during the refresh latency period of the other chip, cutting the latency of accessing the memory in half.

Repeated access of the same memory chip is going to have some mandatory latency between accesses because of the way dynamic memory works. Being able to alternate between two paired chips so that the latency periods overlap, increases the bandwidth of your memory access.

The motherboard's User Guide has a section with a table outlining the myriad of configurations and how to get the best performance from the memory.

Ah ok! I did not know this. I tried searching for information on RAM sizes (2GB, 4GB, etc) but could not find any information regarding whether or not the different amounts where different coloured chips or not?

Edit:

There is some information on the different RAM at
    http://evatech.com.au/111-memory .
    Last edited by Nightwalker83; Apr 22nd, 2016 at 12:20 AM. Reason: Adding more!