Thread: [RESOLVED] Word Interop - Add paragraph and InsertFile

Resolved [RESOLVED] Word Interop - Add paragraph and InsertFile

Really I am trying, but I am beginning to believe that I hate Interop.

I am trying to add a paragraph to the end of a document I have open.

Code:
            Dim newPara As Word.Paragraph = docAChap.Paragraphs.Add
            With newPara
                .Range.Text = _schn ''The range cannot be deleted error here sometimes
                .Range.Font.Bold = 1
                .Alignment = Word.WdParagraphAlignment.wdAlignParagraphCenter
            End With
    The range cannot be deleted error only happens sometimes.
    It has to be something simple, like me.

Someone please tell me there is a way to insert a file without losing the format of the file being inserted.

Code:
            rng = docAChap.Range(Start:=DirectCast(docAChap.Content.End - 1, Object), End:=DirectCast(docAChap.Content.End, Object))
            rng.Collapse(Word.WdCollapseDirection.wdCollapseEnd)
            rng.InsertFile(FileName:="pathHere".ToString)
    This inserts the file but formatting is gone.

I know that this looks like a two topic thread, but it is only one, me hatin' on Interop
    Last edited by dbasnett; Mar 23rd, 2016 at 04:06 PM.
    My First Computer -- Documentation Link (RT?M) -- Using the Debugger -- Prime Number Sieve
    Counting Bits -- Subnet Calculator -- UI Guidelines -- >> SerialPort Answer <<

"Those who use Application.DoEvents have no idea what it does and those who know what it does never use it." John Wein

Frenzied Member

Re: Word Interop - Add paragraph and InsertFile

Quote Originally Posted by dbasnett View Post
    Really I am trying, but I am beginning to believe that I hate Interop.

I am trying to add a paragraph to the end of a document I have open.

Code:
            With newPara
                .Range.Text = _schn ''The range cannot be deleted error here sometimes
                .Range.Font.Bold = 1
            End With
    The range cannot be deleted error only happens sometimes.
    It has to be something simple, like me.

Someone please tell me there is a way to insert a file without losing the format of the file being inserted.

Code:
            rng = docAChap.Range(Start:=DirectCast(docAChap.Content.End - 1, Object), End:=DirectCast(docAChap.Content.End, Object))
            rng.Collapse(Word.WdCollapseDirection.wdCollapseEnd)
            rng.InsertFile(FileName:="pathHere".ToString)
    This inserts the file but formatting is gone.

I know that this looks like a two topic thread, but it is only one, me hatin' on Interop
    I am actively working on a project that involves creating letters from the ground up, so I have been working with Word Interop a lot lately. In some ways, Interop.Word is similar to Interop.Excel, but Word seems to be vastly under-documented compared to Excel. That is the probably the most aggravating part, I have had to experiment with everything. The real options I came across (besides buying an expensive shiny library) is to either automate using Interop or automate via OpenXML and roll your own.

Anyhow, here is some example code that you can meddle with if it helps:

Code:
            Try
                'create word object
                Dim objword As New Word.Application
                objword.Visible = True

'create document
                Dim objWordDoc As Word.Document
                objWordDoc = objword.Documents.Add()

'create selection variable
                Dim objWordSelection = objword.Selection

'go to end
                objWordSelection.EndKey(Microsoft.Office.Interop.Word.WdUnits.wdStory)

'type two paragraph lines
                objWordSelection.TypeParagraph()

'trap start range, add text, trap end range (if needed for formatting)
                Dim rangeStart = objword.Selection.Start()
                objWordSelection.TypeText("roll your own variable here.")
                Dim rangeEnd = objword.Selection.End()

'add formatting between ranges
                With objword.ActiveDocument.Range(rangeStart, rangeEnd)
                    .Font.Bold = True
                End With

'add paragraph

'insert file
                objWordSelection.InsertFile("C:\Users\jason\Desktop\roll your own file here.docx")

Catch ex As Exception
                MessageBox.Show(ex.ToString)
            End Try

Thanks, on day 5 of my epic odyssey with Interop I'll give it a try. Hell, at this point if someone told me I needed flying monkeys farting in my office I'd give that a try.
    My First Computer -- Documentation Link (RT?M) -- Using the Debugger -- Prime Number Sieve

"Those who use Application.DoEvents have no idea what it does and those who know what it does never use it." John Wein

PowerPoster

The "range can not be deleted" error is often associated with attempting to redefine a Form field range. I guess that it is possible that added paragraphs range somehow overlaps a field or some other entity that can not be deleted. I have seen an added Word.Paragraph range extend to the beginning of the preceding sentence if it is not terminated with a hard return. So to make certain that the new paragraphs range is at the end, Collapse it.

Code:

With newPara
            .Range.Collapse(Word.WdCollapseDirection.wdCollapseEnd)
    	.Text = _schn ''The range cannot be deleted error here sometimes
    	.Range.Font.Bold = 1
    End With

Quote Originally Posted by TnTinMN View Post
    The "range can not be deleted" error is often associated with attempting to redefine a Form field range. I guess that it is possible that added paragraphs range somehow overlaps a field or some other entity that can not be deleted. I have seen an added Word.Paragraph range extend to the beginning of the preceding sentence if it is not terminated with a hard return. So to make certain that the new paragraphs range is at the end, Collapse it.

Code:

With newPara
            .Range.Collapse(Word.WdCollapseDirection.wdCollapseEnd)
    	.Text = _schn ''The range cannot be deleted error here sometimes
    	.Range.Font.Bold = 1
    End With
    I'll look tomorrow and see if I didn't try just that, but maybe not that way. You wouldn't believe how much code I have written trying to get this to work. GOL fix this weekend I think. Thanks.