Thread: Functional programming (specifically Microsoft F#)

Frenzied Member

Functional programming (specifically Microsoft F#)

Hi,

I 've been experimenting with functional programming, Microsoft F# to be specific.

After several hours of trying I finally succeeded in making a small application called "FTextBin" that does more than demonstrate a F# function.

It extracts "human-readable" strings from binary files much like the Linux/Unix strings command. (I wrote something similar in vb6 and vb.net, search the forum for "TextBin".)

To use it:
    1. Load and compile it with Microsoft Visual Studio.
    2. Start a command line based shell. (Cmd.exe/Power Shell.)
    3. Run the executable with the binary file to be searched as a command line argument.
    4. It should now dump a list of strings to the standard output.

If an exception occurs during run-time, it will simply display: "Error: "exception message".

Normally, I would post something like this in the code bank, but I don't think there's one for F#.

Any way, who else here has experimented and/or has experience with functional programming?
    Last edited by Peter Swinkels; Mar 8th, 2017 at 02:32 PM. Reason: Code now fully written in a functional style.

An obscure body in the SK system. The inhabitants call it Earth

Re: Functional programming (specifically Microsoft F#)

It does belong in CodeBank really but you're right, there's no natural home for it. I could move it to CodeBank - Other for you if you'd like.
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter - Winston Churchill

Hadoop actually sounds more like the way they greet each other in Yorkshire - Inferrd

Frenzied Member

Quote Originally Posted by FunkyDexter View Post
    It does belong in CodeBank really but you're right, there's no natural home for it. I could move it to CodeBank - Other for you if you'd like.
    Yes, if you could move it there, I would appreciate it.

I see you are using F# but you are looping and that kind of flies in the face of a functional language.

From what I understand some kind of recursion should take the place of that with the function returning the next spot until some end case is met.

I'm no expert in this - just my two cents!

*** Read the sticky in the DB forum about how to get your question answered quickly!! ***

Please remember to rate posts! Rate any post you find helpful - even in old threads! Use the link to the left - "Rate this Post".

Some Informative Links:
    [ SQL Rules to Live By ] [ Reserved SQL keywords ] [ When to use INDEX HINTS! ] [ Passing Multi-item Parameters to STORED PROCEDURES ]
    [ Solution to non-domain Windows Authentication ] [ Crazy things we do to shrink log files ] [ SQL 2005 Features ] [ Loading Pictures from DB ]

MS MVP 2006, 2007, 2008

Snuck in and made the move ahead of Funky.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

Frenzied Member

Quote Originally Posted by szlamany View Post
    I see you are using F# but you are looping and that kind of flies in the face of a functional language.

From what I understand some kind of recursion should take the place of that with the function returning the next spot until some end case is met.

I'm no expert in this - just my two cents!
    Thanks for your comments.

As far as I understand it F# isn't 100% functional, and for now I don't mind if some traces of imperative style coding creep in my F# code. Trust me, figuring out how to do what I wanted in F# was pretty hard considering I originally learned programming with QBasic (and now mostly use VB.Net.) As I understand it, VB.Net supports some degree of functional programming, but both are mostly imperative. What I mean is that I'm already learning by being forced to think ~75% functional when using F#. If any one has any ideas on how to substitute the loop in my code...
    Last edited by Peter Swinkels; Feb 23rd, 2016 at 05:43 AM.

The reason I commented was that I am very familiar with JavaScript used in large applications and I've heard that you could use JavaScript in a "functional manner".

I do not try to do that with JavaScript myself.

So I downloaded your app to see what you might be doing.

I'd be interested to see what others might offer also!

*** Read the sticky in the DB forum about how to get your question answered quickly!! ***

Please remember to rate posts! Rate any post you find helpful - even in old threads! Use the link to the left - "Rate this Post".

Some Informative Links:
    [ SQL Rules to Live By ] [ Reserved SQL keywords ] [ When to use INDEX HINTS! ] [ Passing Multi-item Parameters to STORED PROCEDURES ]
    [ Solution to non-domain Windows Authentication ] [ Crazy things we do to shrink log files ] [ SQL 2005 Features ] [ Loading Pictures from DB ]

MS MVP 2006, 2007, 2008

Some Informative Links:

MS MVP 2006, 2007, 2008

Frenzied Member

Quote Originally Posted by szlamany View Post
    Hi, that looks like a useful link. Thanks.

Frenzied Member

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Swinkels View Post
    Hi, that looks like a useful link. Thanks.
    Well, it looks like I managed to replace my loops with recursive functions...
    Code:
    //This module's imports and settings.
    open System.IO

//This procedure is executed when this program is started.
    [<EntryPoint>]
    let main argv = 
       try      
          let rec DisplayList (items:List<string>) = 
             printf "%s\n" items.Head
             if items.Length = 1
             then items
             else DisplayList(items.Tail)
          let mutable Texts = ""
          let rec LoopThroughList (items:List<char>) = 
             Texts <- Texts + 
                if items.Head >= ' ' && items.Head <= '~' then items.Head.ToString()
                elif Texts.EndsWith('\u0000'.ToString()) then ""
                else '\u0000'.ToString()
             if items.Length = 1
             then items
             else LoopThroughList(items.Tail)

File.ReadAllBytes(argv.[0]) |> Array.toList |> List.map char |> LoopThroughList |> ignore
          Texts.Split('\u0000') |> Array.toList |> List.distinct |> DisplayList |> ignore
       with
          | exceptionO -> printf("Error: \"%s\"\n") exceptionO.Message
    What I don't like about my recursive functions is that in the case of "LoopThroughList" I haven't yet found a way to get it to return a useful return value when it has reached the last list item. I could assign it to the "Texts" variable instead dumping it to "ignore".

Could you push info into an array or is that against the "grain" of functional?

Some Informative Links:

MS MVP 2006, 2007, 2008

Frenzied Member

After a long while I decided to revisit this project. The program is now written in a fully functional style, that is no mutable values or loops.