Thread: vb6 IDE Debug activex exe

Hyperactive Member

vb6 IDE Debug activex exe

hello,

I was just wondering if anyone here has moved to windows 10 and used the vb6 IDE in that environment. I got my vb6 installed and up to date with service pack 6, but when I run in debug mode, my app crashes. In windows 7 it worked fine. I am running a activex exe. Anyone else have an issue with this?

Thanks
    WP

Frenzied Member

Re: vb6 IDE Debug activex exe

1. Did you upgrade an earlier version of Windows to Windows 10? If so you might want to reinstall Visual Basic.
    2. Try playing with the compatiblility settings and try running Visual Basic with administrator rights.
    3. Did you write the activex app yourself? What does it do? Perhaps you need to change something to get it to work in Windows 10.

Try removing the eels from your hovercraft.

Saying things "it just crashes" doesn't really help us or you. It's disingenuous because we have no idea what that means. Only you do. For all I know the tires fell off your car, or your fingers fell off. Things don't just crash w/o notice (usually). Typically there is some kind of message, and more often than not, it's useful, if not cryptic. But 1) we're not mind readers, despite the rumors, we cannot read minds over the interwebtubesnet, and 2) we're not sitting in your lap, so we can't see what you're seeing.

In other words, we need details, Under what circumstances does it crash? what does the error message say? What have you tried?

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

Hyperactive Member

techgnome,

you are right I am sorry I am really bad with details, so let me try.

This happens when I debug my ActiveX exe program in debug mode using the vb6 ide, it is in a project group with a custom listview ocx and another separate backup utility. When I start debug the radio automation program runs fine, but then If I switch over to the code window while in debug mode, the program just crashes , the classic "Visual Basic Has Stopped Working' Dialog. If i place a break point anywhere this also happens. The program heavily uses a thrid part audio driver for playing back audio. It is also multi-threading using activex.exe method, although I would assume in debug with IDE it will not attempt to run in multiple threads as in windows 7.

I am running in admin mode for the vb ide and have changed to xp sp3 comaptibility settings

this worked fine in windows 7 before the upgrade. I did install vb6 from windows 10 and not before the upgrade from windows 7.

I may just go back to windows 7, but I just wanted to check if anyone else has seen this, or even if any of you have upgraded to windows 10 and are using vb6 with no issue.

I am trying to determine, if this is a specific issue to my project and I should take the time to figure it out, or if windows 10 and vb6 debug mode just does not work as in windows 10.

I have tried all combinations of compatibility settings.

One last thing: Sometimes I can set a debug point, and it will break on that point, but after the first break, it will not break on that point again, even though it is supposed to ( its in a timer). Then when I go back to the program running in debug, vb6 ide crashes.
    Hope this helps

Quote Originally Posted by techgnome View Post
    Try removing the eels from your hovercraft.

Saying things "it just crashes" doesn't really help us or you. It's disingenuous because we have no idea what that means. Only you do. For all I know the tires fell off your car, or your fingers fell off. Things don't just crash w/o notice (usually). Typically there is some kind of message, and more often than not, it's useful, if not cryptic. But 1) we're not mind readers, despite the rumors, we cannot read minds over the interwebtubesnet, and 2) we're not sitting in your lap, so we can't see what you're seeing.

In other words, we need details, Under what circumstances does it crash? what does the error message say? What have you tried?

-tg
    Last edited by axisdj; Jan 26th, 2016 at 09:44 AM.

Try this - compile the ActiveX exe ... then in the folder where it compiled to, run it... then back in the IDE, under the Debug menu, there should be an entry "Attach to process..." ... then in the dialog, find the running process that is your activex exe ... select it and click "Attach" ... see if then break points and other things work.

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

Hyperactive Member

I do not see the attach process option in my vb6 ide, I must be using a version that does not have that loaded.

Try this - compile the ActiveX exe ... then in the folder where it compiled to, run it... then back in the IDE, under the Debug menu, there should be an entry "Attach to process..." ... then in the dialog, find the running process that is your activex exe ... select it and click "Attach" ... see if then break points and other things work.

-tg

Hyperactive Member

Ok figured out how to do that ( attach to process )

The behavior is the same, if I set a break point in a timer, and then bring to focus the main app window vb6 IDE crashes with Same message..

-tg

Hyperactive Member

Moved back to Windows7 for now

WP