Thread: [VB6] Tutorial: Being DPI Aware

Threaded View

[VB6] Tutorial: Being DPI Aware

DPI AWARENESS AND YOUR VB6 APPLICATION

The intent of this thread is to have it be a VB6 community resource for DPI related issues and solutions.

I started it by providing lots of information that I've discovered over the past several months. I do not have every operating system to play on, nor do I have multi-monitor systems nor rotating monitors to play with. This is where you, the VB6 community comes in. Sharing solutions is what makes this forum such a great resource. Sharing DPI-related solutions can make this thread an invaluable resource.

I ask that you do not post questions to this thread. I ask that you post issues and solutions related to DPI. You may contradict or caveat remarks I or others have made to clarify or correct. If you have specific DPI questions, I ask you to post them in the appropriate part of the questions-related forums, and if a solution is discovered, then I ask that you come back here and share your discoveries. I will do the same.

The references below will be updated for some time to come. As you post your discoveries, I will add them here so that people can quickly jump to a topic/area they are particularly interested in.

If you wish for me to add a 'jump-to' link, like the ones below, for any submissions you make to this tutorial, please include the following tags around the 1st word(s) or sentence in your submission/post:
    [aTarget=abc] [/aTarget] Change abc to a somewhat unique name/marker.

References

Writing High-DPI Win32 Applications
    Post #2 Overview
    Post #3 shows a DPI-aware manifest entry & discusses VB controls that have issues with DPI
    Post #4 discusses issues with VB usercontrols at some DPIs
    Post #5 offers a rather simple method of scaling VB picture objects
    Post #6 discusses saving/caching values as twips vs. pixels
    Post #9 discusses incorrect values returned by ScaleX/Y when converting vbHimetric
    Post #10 discusses gdiScaling option as viable vs. no scaling options
    Last edited by LaVolpe; Jul 18th, 2017 at 02:36 PM. Reason: Fixed MSDN dead URL