Thread: [RESOLVED] Counting column values directly from Dataset Datatable.

Lively Member

Resolved [RESOLVED] Counting column values directly from Dataset Datatable.

Hello.
    I have a Data base with a table called Stock_Adjustment_Table and a column called STOCKRECORDNUMBER.
    I use the following code to count the number of times that the value datarowGOODS_RECEIPTS_DG.Item("STOCKRECORDNUMBER") appears in the STOCKRECORDNUMBER

Code:
     Dim command7 As FbCommand = connection.CreateCommand()
                command7.Connection = connection
                command7.CommandText = "select count(*) from STOCK_ADJUSTMENT_TABLE where STOCKRECORDNUMBER = " & datarowGOODS_RECEIPTS_DG.Item("STOCKRECORDNUMBER")
    Now I also have the data base in a dataset called ds, with a table called STOCK_ADJUSTMENT_TABLE which has been filled with the code.

Code:
      'fill the dataset/table with STOCK ADJUSTMENT TABLE  data
                daGOODS_RECEIPTS.SelectCommand.CommandText = "SELECT * FROM STOCK_ADJUSTMENT_TABLE "
                daGOODS_RECEIPTS.FillSchema(ds, SchemaType.Source, "STOCK_ADJUSTMENT_TABLE")
                daGOODS_RECEIPTS.Fill(ds, "STOCK_ADJUSTMENT_TABLE")
    My question, is there a way to count the information I want directly from the dataset table instead of the way I am doing at present by counting from the data base?

Thank you.

PowerPoster

Re: Counting column values directly from Dataset Datatable.

Here's an example,
    Code:
            Try
                Dim da As New OleDb.OleDbDataAdapter("select * from crops", My.Settings.WaterConnectionString)
                Dim dt As New DataTable
                da.Fill(dt)
                Dim num As Integer = dt.Compute("count([group])", "[group] = 'MELONS'")
                MessageBox.Show(num.ToString)
            Catch ex As Exception
                MessageBox.Show(ex.Message)
            End Try

Lively Member

Re: Counting column values directly from Dataset Datatable.

Thank you wes4dbt. This was exactly what I was looking for. I have now worked that into my code and it is counting on the contents of the datatable rather than the contents of the database table.
    Code:
    Type = STOCK_ADJUSTMENT_TABLE.Compute("count(STOCKRECORDNUMBER)", "STOCKRECORDNUMBER = '" & datarowGOODS_RECEIPTS_DG.Item("STOCKRECORDNUMBER") & "'")
    ].

Again thank you and could anyone suggest further reading on the subject of using datasets and related sql commands ?