Thread: How to test a scalar function in sql managment studio?

Frenzied Member

Question How to test a scalar function in sql managment studio?

Hello,

I have a function that I need to test in management studio that is giving an error in my asp.net site. Is there any way to run in like a stored procedure so I can see what line it is failing on?

Thanks,

Warren

Re: How to test a scalar function in sql managment studio?

select dbo_scalarfunctionamehere(@paramerter1)

Name:  EasyButton.jpg
Views: 35
Size:  66.7 KB

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

That is not so easy to setup. I believe that you can do line-by-line debugging of SQL objects - I've just never set it up myself. I usually rely on creating rows in DEBUG tables and such. With scalar func's that gets more difficult. Post the UDF here for us to look at...

*** Read the sticky in the DB forum about how to get your question answered quickly!! ***

Please remember to rate posts! Rate any post you find helpful - even in old threads! Use the link to the left - "Rate this Post".

Some Informative Links:
    [ SQL Rules to Live By ] [ Reserved SQL keywords ] [ When to use INDEX HINTS! ] [ Passing Multi-item Parameters to STORED PROCEDURES ]
    [ Solution to non-domain Windows Authentication ] [ Crazy things we do to shrink log files ] [ SQL 2005 Features ] [ Loading Pictures from DB ]

MS MVP 2006, 2007, 2008

Hmmm... I see I mis-read that...
    In these cases I usually pull them apart... run them like I would a regular script, setting the parameters the old fashioned way.
    I almost suggested using SQL Profiler... but I'm not sure it goes into scalars

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *