Food for thought (something on my mind)

A social experiment
    From coast to coast
    Coming to America
    RIP Hitchbot
    Who cares ?

Actually, I do.

Re: R.I.P Hitchbot

There's some irony in where it was killed.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

Fanatic Member

There is indeed.

I would have thought the post would have generated a few more replies by now (it's still early). My own fault. I should have put the story into a little more context and mention you have to follow a few links to YouTube. That latter part now remedied.

As a youth, I did hitchike all across North America and part of Europe. That is not, however what attracted me to the story, nor that the story is really about robots or hitch-hiking.

This story is also a few weeks (if not months) old by now.
    My usual boring signature: Something

I wouldn't hop freight trains through Philly 20 years ago. Is there anybody left alive who would actually hitchhike through there?
    "Bones heal. Chicks dig scars. Pain is temporary. Glory is forever." - Robert Craig "Evel" Knievel
    “Leave me alone, I know what I’m doing.” - Kimi Raikkonen

An obscure body in the SK system. The inhabitants call it Earth

I've certainly hitched round the UK and always found it a great way to travel. You get to meet some wonderful eccentrics. My mate Chris once got a lift from a guy who was trying to keep his flight hours up for his pilots licence so actually flew him from Exeter to Southampton, that was pretty cool.

I suspect Hitchbot would have stood as much chance of getting trashed in the UK as the US, sadly. A-Hole kids are a universal phenomenon.
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter - Winston Churchill

Hadoop actually sounds more like the way they greet each other in Yorkshire - Inferrd

Frenzied Member

Quote Originally Posted by FunkyDexter View Post
    I suspect Hitchbot would have stood as much chance of getting trashed in the UK as the US, sadly. A-Hole kids are a universal phenomenon.
    I don't know about that, I would definitely bet on Hitchbot lasting longer in the UK than the US. The people and attitudes within the inner-city are probably very similar, but we cant even queue for chicken at the local supermarket without a fight. It definitely speaks to the times, and I think people in the UK have far more self-respect and better regard for other people and property.

An obscure body in the SK system. The inhabitants call it Earth

Sadly, I don't believe we do. We like to think we do but you've only got to watch the way us Brits behave in traffic to see that we're every bit as prone to self indulgent, petulant rage as you Americans. If we're not as bad as you it's only because we haven't caught up with you guys in the race to the bottom of bad manners... yet.

Had HitchBot snapped, grabbed some AKs and started shooting up the place indiscriminately, now that would have been an American phenomenon.

Edit> That link just reminded me of one of my great "I wish I'd said that" moments. I was shopping in Asda (think Walmart) when a bloke walked into me while talking to his girlfriend/wife over his shoulder and not looking where he was going.

Being a generally pretty mellow type I just said "Oops, Mind yourself, Mate" and carried on round the corner into the next aisle. Seconds later he came barrelling round the corner, screaming at me that I needed to watch where I was going. "No," I said, "you were talking over your shoulder and walked into me".

At which point he brandished the can of Ribena he was carrying and shouted "I'm going to come down there and shove this down your throat". At the time all I could think of to say began with F and ended with Off but afterwards I realised what I should have said was "Ooh, really, what flavour is it?"

Us Brits aren't immune to bad behaviour, particularly in Asda where Chavs and Neds abound.
    Last edited by FunkyDexter; Sep 28th, 2015 at 09:23 AM.
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter - Winston Churchill

Hadoop actually sounds more like the way they greet each other in Yorkshire - Inferrd

You should have knocked him out. I also imagined that entire scenario with British accents. Was thusly amusing.
    My usual boring signature: Something

Quote Originally Posted by jayinthe813 View Post
    I don't know about that, I would definitely bet on Hitchbot lasting longer in the UK than the US. The people and attitudes within the inner-city are probably very similar, but we cant even queue for chicken at the local supermarket without a fight. It definitely speaks to the times, and I think people in the UK have far more self-respect and better regard for other people and property.
    I would say that's incorrect. While anecdotal, the Brits are much less respectful that the Yanks. There's a reason I left the UK. I've lived half my life there and half here (of course, different 'alves...). It does depend on where you live as the American cities tend to host the worst of the worst, though.
    "Ok, my response to that is pending a Google search" - Bucky Katt.
    "There are two types of people in the world: Those who can extrapolate from incomplete data sets." - Unk.
    "Before you can 'think outside the box' you need to understand where the box is."

Quote Originally Posted by dclamp View Post
    You should have knocked him out. I also imagined that entire scenario with British accents. Was thusly amusing.
    Everything is funnier with a British accent.
    "Bones heal. Chicks dig scars. Pain is temporary. Glory is forever." - Robert Craig "Evel" Knievel
    “Leave me alone, I know what I’m doing.” - Kimi Raikkonen

type Woss is new Grumpy; wossname's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dclamp View Post
    https://youtu.be/SjbPi00k_ME?t=10
    I don't live here any more.