Thread: Internet speed

PowerPoster

Internet speed

Don't know anything about Internet speed so I will ask

TWC advertises Internet for 14.99/mo (probably for a limited time however) which includes 2 Mbps.

What does this mean and how good is it

Anything I post is an example only and is not intended to be the only solution, the total solution nor the final solution to your request nor do I claim that it is. If you find it useful then it is entirely up to you to make whatever changes necessary you feel are adequate for your purposes.

PowerPoster

Re: Internet speed

Read the fine print, it might be a come-on rate only good for 3 to 12 months and then it goes up.

Of course that's a fairly modest offering too, especially if that's the download speed (most consumer ISPs only offer asymmetric data rates, upload much lower than download).

For example I have a really cheapo cable package and I'm having modem troubles right now, but even so I am getting:

Name:  997470.png
Views: 221
Size:  33.1 KB

That does not sound like a very good deal to me jm... But it also depends on your area, the type of connection, and how far away from the central office / neighborhood box you are.

TWC should be providing at least 30mbps. I am getting about 24mbps on ADSL with AT&T Uverse. I personally dislike Uverse.

But as dilettante said, that is probably the download speed that they are advertising.
    My usual boring signature: Something

PowerPoster

They're all crooks. Too much consolidation has been permitted and ownership of the infrastructure is in the wrong hands, resulting in very little competition in most markets.

Imagine if all roads were privately owned and managed in the hands of a single company (cable) and your alternative was cowpaths all owned by another company (DSL) and beyond that you had a third outfit operating a mule-drawn wagon running through back alleys (satellite).

It could get pricey paying for trash pickup, getting to work, etc. with some alternatives being more and others less timely. Most of the roads would probably still be dirt and planks.

Correction to the Wikipedia article:

Most highway authorities claim that the plank road was introduced in this country in New York in 1844. They overlook the conclusive evidence, however, that seven years earlier, in 1837, the Michigan State Legislature granted a charter to the Detroit, Plymouth and Ann Arbor Turnpike Company for a "timber road made of good, well-hewn timber." The Legislature granted similar charters to other private companies. In 1844, for example, it authorized the construction of plank roads from Detroit to Port Huron and from near Sylvania, Ohio, to Blissfield, Michigan. Two years later, charters were given to the Corunna and Northampton and the Marshall and Union City Plank Road companies.
    Last edited by dilettante; Aug 2nd, 2015 at 04:32 AM.

PowerPoster

I'm sure it's an intro offer as most ISP service advertizements are and also it's the download speed which is what I am more concerned about. Currently with Version I believe I have 50/25 but I am paying big time too.

What would be considered a decent download speed? Do I really need 50Mbps?

Anything I post is an example only and is not intended to be the only solution, the total solution nor the final solution to your request nor do I claim that it is. If you find it useful then it is entirely up to you to make whatever changes necessary you feel are adequate for your purposes.

It depends on what you are doing and how many people in your house are using the internet. If you have 5 people constantly streaming HD videos at the same time, then you might want to consider more bandwidth. However if you live alone and you only ever browse VBF and download a few files here and there, then you can get away with a lot less bandwidth.

PowerPoster

It's just me and my wife. She uses Internet for Facebook, Ancestory.Com, and hotmail. She very seldom downloads file, etc. I use Internet for here, testing, and downloading text code samples, paying my monthly bills, browse a few sites, etc.

Neither of us stream videos but I do some mp3 downloads now and then and static images. I think my wife listens to music while she is on Facebook.

Yeah then you do not need that much bandwidth. You could get away with using a lot less. However $20/month for 2mbps might be a little much. You might be able to find a better price.

PowerPoster

I only know of three ISP companies.

Verizon
    TWC
    ATT

PowerPoster

You have my sympathy regarding exorbitant prices.

For a list of ISPs serving a U.S. location try http://www.broadbandmap.gov/internet-service-providers/

As for speed, only you can say what you need. But it sounds like you could get by with a minimum. I could probably live with 10Mbps down, but 2 would constrain most video streaming services and 3 is about the lowest you'd want to go.

You can go lower. I have something like 1.5 downstream. Most video runs ok even at that speed, and everything else is fine, which is half the reason that I stick with that speed. The other reason is that the providers are a bunch of lying, incompetent, weasels. My price is guaranteed for life, whereas bait and switch rules in this market...except for CenturyLink, which practices bait and screw-up.

I agree with dilettante on this: The current landscape has made for a terrible situation in the US with companies facing no penalty for being simultaneously high in cost, lousy in service, and careless.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

PowerPoster

If there really was a free market in the US there would be far more competition, and that would serve to regulate the situation because anyone who made the effort to do better would get more business. Barring that, instead we get ineffective government regulation.

It's a sucker's game though. Big money rules as always because antitrust action is non-existent and the FCC is far too firmly in the pockets of the big players as well. They whinge and weasel about net neutrality but that's just a dumb-show for the yokels.

Banned

Hello there and thank you for an incredible post. I truly simply cherish your post. I will bookmark it and returned for additional.

Hello

The company Yoigo provide infinite data GB mobile and 1 Gbps with only 32$

Sinecure devotee

The cost of moving to Spain will probably obliterate any savings for the majority of us.
    "Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he is supposed to be doing at that moment" Robert Benchley, 1930