Thread: David Bowie - rock legend...

David Bowie - rock legend...

I'm a little surprised I hadn't seen a thread on here yet about the loss of David Bowie... but then I realized that the group here may be too young to have been influenced by Bowie.

He will be missed. I've been enjoying his music for as long as I can remember. Space Oddity and Changes were among the first I can remember. Then there was Let's Dance and China Girl... of course then there was Magic Dance...

Today, I pulled up David Bowie in my Google Play and hit "Shuffle artist" ... ironically (or perhaps apropos) it played Here Today, Gone Tomorrow first...

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

An obscure body in the SK system. The inhabitants call it Earth

Re: David Bowie - rock legend...

I always found that I never appreciated a Bowie song when he released it. About 3 to 4 years later I'd hear it again and think, "Wow, how did I miss that?" Slow burning genius.
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter - Winston Churchill

Hadoop actually sounds more like the way they greet each other in Yorkshire - Inferrd

He was one of those artists of whom you didn't expect he (c/w)ould die.
    No idea why but "Life on Mars" is continuously in my head.

Superbly Moderated NeedSomeAnswers's Avatar

I'm a little surprised I hadn't seen a thread on here yet about the loss of David Bowie... but then I realized that the group here may be too young to have been influenced by Bowie.
    His best stuff was released a bit before my time but as i got older i found there was more of his work that i liked than i realised. A true innovator and actually whatever style of music your in to (apart from maybe Death Metal) Bowie likely created some music that you would like even if you don't know it.

I never understand the idea that people can be to young to be influenced by someone though, you can always discover artists well after they released there music, great music is great music no matter how old it is.
    Please Mark your Thread "Resolved", if the query is solved & Rate those who have helped you

PowerPoster

I was glad to hear his music (Starman) in the recent movie The Martian and I hope he lived to enjoy a preview viewing.

Nice that we're getting a few more "harder" science fiction films lately. I enjoy the comic book and mass-market SciFi films (Star Wars, Star Trek) too, but the harder stuff is quite welcome. Sadly most people can't seem to tell the difference aside from fewer things blowing up.

Yeah, it is nice. Even in the less harder sciency stuff, it's nicer to see actual physics being employed. I noticed it while watching The Expanse on SyFy... when they do a "flip and burn"... there's actual consequences and inertia that had to be overcome, causing stress on the ship. They don't just pull a U-turn and act as if nothing is unusual.

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

Quote Originally Posted by NeedSomeAnswers View Post

I never understand the idea that people can be to young to be influenced by someone though, you can always discover artists well after they released there music, great music is great music no matter how old it is.
    I think the statement is more than likely the current crop of young adolescents have no idea who this guy is, and what a huge impact he had. And why would they? Having said that, it is possible that a current crop of musicians will list Bowie as a significant influence.

Almost anyone in their 40's and 50's will most likely gasp at this news. I certainly did. He is a monument in music history.

As you get older, you tend to favor older music and music from your 'growth' era (regardless of how good it was). There certainly will be people who 'discover' Bowie and listen and say 'this is really great music'. But it's discovery: listening and appreciating music you discover rather than music which is popular tends to be listened to with a more critical ear. Younger people tend to lap up what is fed them, although that is changing as people are realizing there's no single outlet to feed these young consumers what the media [record labels] want to feed.
    "Ok, my response to that is pending a Google search" - Bucky Katt.
    "There are two types of people in the world: Those who can extrapolate from incomplete data sets." - Unk.
    "Before you can 'think outside the box' you need to understand where the box is."