View Poll Results: What size Monitor do you have?

Voters
12. You may not vote on this poll
  • < 15"

1 8.33%
  • 15" - 19"

3 25.00%
  • 20" - 22"

4 33.33%
  • 23" - 24"

3 25.00%
  • 25" - 27"

2 16.67%
  • 28" - 29"

1 8.33%
  • 30" - 32"

1 8.33%
  • 32" >

0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll.

Thread: New Monitor

New Monitor

I needed a new monitor for work since the program i work with is very wide, requires a lot of horizontal scrolling. I bought a 27" but it was only 1080p... It was not wide enough. So i bought another 27" that is 1440p, works perfect.

I took that other 27" monitor home and now its too big for my desk. Width wise its perfect, but my desk isnt deep enough so the monitor sits wayyy to close to my face. I guess its time to swap desks...

What monitor size do you guys work with? Time to add a poll i guess.
    My usual boring signature: Something

Re: New Monitor

The laptop I use has a 17" built in. At the office, it connects to an external 19", which I really should see about upgrading at some point... at home, I have it hooked up to dual monitors, a 22" and 24".

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

I also have dual monitors at home. I had 24" and 19". Now its dual with 27" and 24". Not sure what I will do with the 19" now. Maybe for my garage work bench.

An obscure body in the SK system. The inhabitants call it Earth

I'm on dual 24s.
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter - Winston Churchill

Hadoop actually sounds more like the way they greet each other in Yorkshire - Inferrd

I'm about to be a PowerPoster!

Right now, 15" with a 2880x1800 resolution.
    Before I left Oz, I had a 27" monitor which actually had a lower resolution (2560x1440). Next one will probably be a 4k or 5k screen.
    Last edited by penagate; Jun 7th, 2015 at 08:15 AM.

Should I reply for my right or left monitor? Maybe vote twice.
    Please remember next time...elections matter!

PowerPoster

I'm not sure what use a monitor larger than the 20" range is good for unless you use your PC as a TV replacement.

I see people with oversized monitors and they either roll their chairs way back so they can take it all in or end up wagging their heads back and forth like a tennis match spectator. Or they blow money on overly dense resolution, only to move to High DPI settings so they can read anything because the characters get too small.

Both seem utterly absurd. Either you end up needing a chiropractor or you end up where you started... or even worse off because now you sit back a foot further but with High DPI you can't get as much text on-screen.

Nothing like being a sheep and falling for the "time to buy more" propaganda.

I actually find that to be true. Now that I have my 27" and my 24" on the same desk, I was more happy with the 24" because it was the right size for how far away it was. I would prefer to have a higher resolution monitor than a larger size monitor. Which is why I ended up buying the 1440p monitor for work.

I was considering getting a 4k monitor because the Microsoft Store was having a decent sale on them, however all the reviews I read about that monitor was that the refresh rate was way too low and it has a 100ms timing. I was going to buy it and test it, but the reviews were pretty strong against it unless it were to be used as a display monitor only, not actively used

I find that to be the case as wel, my 22 & 24 is probably as big as I can stand and still reasonably be used. The biggest reason I even use monitors that large is to work with the data that I do... it tends to be very wide.

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

All you need is 10".

Quote Originally Posted by Bonker Gudd View Post
    All you need is 10".
    Actually one more inch and you have gone from oohs to awws
    Please remember next time...elections matter!

An obscure body in the SK system. The inhabitants call it Earth

I find the 2 24s perfect for me. I can fit everything I need on screen and, while there is some head movement, it's a lot easier than having hit alt-tab the whole time. I do have quite a deep desk though.
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter - Winston Churchill

Hadoop actually sounds more like the way they greet each other in Yorkshire - Inferrd

Superbly Moderated NeedSomeAnswers's Avatar

Duel 22'inch at work, which is a necessity considering the number of windows i have open. When Developing, having Duel monitors makes such a difference.

At Home Single 24 for Desktop

17 for Laptop
    Please Mark your Thread "Resolved", if the query is solved & Rate those who have helped you

Karen Payne MVP kareninstructor's Avatar

I work from three 24 inch monitors both at home and in the office.

I work with dual monitors one is a 30" and the other is a 24". I find the 30" to big.
    "Code is like humor. When you have to explain it, it is bad." - Cory House
    VbLessons | Code Tags | Sword of Fury - Jameram

Frenzied Member

28" at home, 3 20.1" monitors at work.