Thread: REPCDLG.OCX could not be loaded after a fresh install of VB6 to a new machine

Question REPCDLG.OCX could not be loaded after a fresh install of VB6 to a new machine

When I try to open my project I get the error below.

C:\Users\Jim\MyProject\REPCDLG.OCX could not be loaded--Continue Loading Project?
    This us to a new Windows 8.1 64bit machine and an install of VB6 with SP6. That file is listed in the projects VBP file as

Object={DA048F20-8C27-11D1-B6D9-00C04FBBC221}#6.1#0; REPCDLG.OCX
    The file is in the same location I have it in in 2 other machines.

C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Repostry
    I have registered the file successfully from both the System32 and SysWow64 folders. How is it not being loaded?

Hyperactive Member

Re: REPCDLG.OCX could not be loaded after a fresh install of VB6 to a new machine

what happens if you try and place the OCX in the folder: C:\Users\Jim\MyProject\
    ?

Re: REPCDLG.OCX could not be loaded after a fresh install of VB6 to a new machine

Quote Originally Posted by stum View Post
    what happens if you try and place the OCX in the folder: C:\Users\Jim\MyProject\
    ?
    Still won't load.

Hyperactive Member

i did see you posted on StackOverflow two days ago, but did you try this: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1...ate-kb-2687323 ?

I did yes. With no luck. The funny thing is, if i remove the line
    Code:
    It still compiles and runs fine (as far as I can tell). So I may not need it anyway. But it's an inherited project and I'm new to VB6 so I hesitate to remove it.

Hyperactive Member

Solvusoft.com:
    REPCDLG.OCX is a type of OCX file associated with Microsoft Visual Basic .net 6.0 Alpha Platform developed by Microsoft for the Windows Operating System. The latest known version of REPCDLG.OCX is 1.0.0.0, which was produced for Windows. This OCX file carries a popularity rating of 1 stars and a security rating of "UNKNOWN".
    Microsoft MSDN says its a control shipped with VB6, now, i suggest a re-install of the VB6 just to make sure.

I just checked some of my more complicated project's VBPs to see if a i can pinpoint it but no luck there.
    I would create a backup, remove the line, do some tests and make sure it didnt' screw up anything.

EDIT: i just checked and there's a control named REPCDLG it seems like a common-dialog kinda interface, probably made to customize it.
    if it helps, on a clean project i just added this and the VBP contains
    Code:
    Type=Exe
    Form=Form1.frm
    Reference=*\G{00020430-0000-0000-C000-000000000046}#2.0#0#..\..\..\Windows\SysWow64\STDOLE2.TLB#OLE Automation
    Startup="Form1"
    Command32=""
    Name="Project1"
    HelpContextID="0"
    CompatibleMode="0"
    MajorVer=1
    MinorVer=0
    RevisionVer=0
    AutoIncrementVer=0
    ServerSupportFiles=0
    VersionCompanyName="Stum"
    CompilationType=0
    OptimizationType=0
    FavorPentiumPro(tm)=0
    CodeViewDebugInfo=0
    NoAliasing=0
    BoundsCheck=0
    OverflowCheck=0
    FlPointCheck=0
    FDIVCheck=0
    UnroundedFP=0
    StartMode=0
    Unattended=0
    Retained=0
    ThreadPerObject=0
    MaxNumberOfThreads=1
    I suggest you make sure the Reference part is also correct.

Name:  Untitled.jpg
Views: 435
Size:  44.9 KB

You can also try to start a new project, right-mouse-click the control bar at the left > Components > check Cdlg and click-and-draw one on your form. save the project.
    make sure the project you just saved loads as intended.
    Now compare the two VBPs when opened in notepad see whats changed what should be there and what shouldn't.
    Name:  Untitled.png
Views: 477
Size:  26.1 KB
    Last edited by stum; Apr 20th, 2015 at 12:42 PM.

If removing it didn't prevent project from compiled, see if it is referenced anywhere else via late binding. This would likely be in CreateObject() calls. I'd search your entire project for that key function: CreateObject

It is entirely possible that the reference was never used after it was added
    Insomnia is just a byproduct of, "It can't be done"

Classics Enthusiast? Here's my 1969 Mustang Mach I Fastback. Her sister '67 Coupe has been adopted

Newbie? Novice? Bored? Spend a few minutes browsing the FAQ section of the forum.
    Read the HitchHiker's Guide to Getting Help on the Forums.
    Here is the list of TAGs you can use to format your posts
    Here are VB6 Help Files online

{Alpha Image Control} {Memory Leak FAQ} {Unicode Open/Save Dialog} {Resource Image Viewer/Extractor}
    {VB and DPI Tutorial} {Manifest Creator} {UserControl Button Template} {stdPicture Render Usage}

Talking Re: REPCDLG.OCX could not be loaded after a fresh install of VB6 to a new machine

@ stum I reinstalled again and this time I added "Enterprise Tools". I didn't do that originally because the guide I was following said not to. But that did the trick. I didn't even occur to me to re-install it. Thank you so much stum!!

p.s. And you too LaVolpe for your input.