Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Our workplace rules for smokers. Does your office have similar? Are they extreme?

Question Our workplace rules for smokers. Does your office have similar? Are they extreme?

I don't smoke, but for my friends that do, here are their workplace rules. Does your office have rules for smokers? Are they fair? Extreme?

Rules for Smokers (posted):
    * No smoking within 100 feet of the office building, to include visiting family members.
    * 3 smokes breaks are allowed at 5 minutes each.
    * Smokers can only have a 15 minute lunch break.
    * Packs of cigarretes in the workplace can't be in plain view.
    * After smoking they must wash their hands and suck on a breath mint, or brush their teeth.
    * Smokers who fail to follow above rules 3 times are given walking papers.
    * If rules effects productivity 2 times, smoker is given walking papers
    * Agitated smokers who tweak in the workplace, depending on how server, will be instantly sacked!
    * Smoke detected from an open window by management will result in a greater distance from the building where smokers are allowed to smoke.

For Personnel Office (verbally told to me by friends in personnel):
    * Job seekers must fully complete and sign questionaire. They must understand that by signing the questionaire, they agree that any untruthful info will result in a dismissal.
    * Don't knowingly hire a smoker for any position. Failing to do so will result in your dismissal!

Thought it would be interesting to post.
    Last edited by Peter Porter; Apr 19th, 2015 at 09:23 AM.

Re: Our workplace rules for smokers. Does your office have similar? Are they extreme?

Where I work is not that extreme. There is an outside designated smoking area. Non-exempt employees use their breaks. Exempt employees use their discretion.

I'm an ex-smoker, I try not to be a "reformed *****", but smokers really stink like ashtrays. I wouldn't mind if they "cleaned up" after smoking. I wouldn't say anything to them though...
    Please remember next time...elections matter!

An obscure body in the SK system. The inhabitants call it Earth

Re: Our workplace rules for smokers. Does your office have similar? Are they extreme?

Those rules do sound extreme. Where do you live?

In the UK you can't smoke in an enclosed area of the work place but that's about it as far as laws go. An employer has the right to restrict the number and lengths of breaks you can have, which is common sense really, but generally they're not unreasonable about it. I think not employing someone on the basis that they're a smoker would probably be illegal over here as it would be viewed as discrimination.
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter - Winston Churchill

Hadoop actually sounds more like the way they greet each other in Yorkshire - Inferrd

Quote Originally Posted by FunkyDexter View Post
    Those rules do sound extreme. Where do you live?

In the UK you can't smoke in an enclosed area of the work place but that's about it as far as laws go. An employer has the right to restrict the number and lengths of breaks you can have, which is common sense really, but generally they're not unreasonable about it. I think not employing someone on the basis that they're a smoker would probably be illegal over here as it would be viewed as discrimination.
    That's not true anymore...they can even not hire you if you smoke at home:

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/money...ing/52394782/1

That's in the US whereas I was talking about the UK. Generally we've got a lot more laws to protect employees rights than you guys, some of them good, some not so good. On the whole I think I rather have our level of protection than yours but then I'm a contractor so I waive them all anyway.

That said, There is talk about providing a level of protection for contractors which seems like a stupid idea to me. Us contractors generally choose to be so because it makes us more competitive. Adding a bunch of red tape employers need to follow before taking on a contractor is just going to undermine that competitiveness.
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter - Winston Churchill

Hadoop actually sounds more like the way they greet each other in Yorkshire - Inferrd

That's in the US whereas I was talking about the UK. Generally we've got a lot more laws to protect employees rights than you guys, some of them good, some not so good. On the whole I think I rather have our level of protection than yours but then I'm a contractor so I waive them all anyway.

That said, There is talk about providing a level of protection for contractors which seems like a stupid idea to me. Us contractors generally choose to be so because it makes us more competitive. Adding a bunch of red tape employers need to follow before taking on a contractor is just going to undermine that competitiveness.
    In the USA, at least to me, workers rights began to erode right around the coronation of Saint Reagan. I agree with your viewpoint on contractors. I also see it, not providing a level of protection for contractors, as an edge.

workers rights began to erode right around the coronation of Saint Reagan
    Yeah, that sounds about right. In the UK we saw a massive reduction in employees rights under Thatcher complete with an almost total destruction of the union movement. In fairness, the UK had got into an overly unionised state prior to her tenure so some swing to the right was warranted but I think most people would agree that it went too far. I was never a big fan of Blair but I will say that his administration did do a lot to redress that balance and things were about right by the time he stepped down.

The current big worry over here is zero hours contracts. I think they're actually a good thing for highly skilled folks like IT contractors etc. because the truth is that an employer probably needs me as much or more than I need them so I can negotiate from a fair position. The problem is that these get applied to folks like shop assistants, care assistants and warehouse workers who are in no position to negotiate. Given that these contracts can often contain clauses that preclude the employee from working for anyone else I can't help thinking we've reintroduced serfdom.

I'm glad I work for my self. I would not apply for those companies.

Thirty years ago I could smoke at my desk. And so I did.
    "Bones heal. Chicks dig scars. Pain is temporary. Glory is forever." - Robert Craig "Evel" Knievel
    “Leave me alone, I know what I’m doing.” - Kimi Raikkonen

Superbly Moderated NeedSomeAnswers's Avatar

The current big worry over here is zero hours contracts.
    There is nothing to worry about, they have just been branded wrong. If we call them Flexible contracts then people will stop worrying about the fact they have no employment rights, no guaranteed hours, no ability to pay the rent and rejoice.

Given that these contracts can often contain clauses that preclude the employee from working for anyone else I can't help thinking we've reintroduced serfdom.
    Can't a man (exclusively) hire another person to prune there roses with the rest of the neighborhood hiring them as well? how am i supposed to have the best roses otherwise???

Also if i don't have exclusivity what happens if i have some emergency roses that need pruning at the same time they are doing Dave's down the road!!!

Also hows poor old Mike Ashley supposed to make a few quid without them???, come on FD think of those other less fortunate then yourself the Mike Ashley's of this world need looking after !!!
    Please Mark your Thread "Resolved", if the query is solved & Rate those who have helped you

Your withering sarcasm does you credit, Sir.

I did hear a rather nice quote about "flexible contracts". It was in response to the usual argument about them allowing business to remain competitive in uncertain markets etc. and the guy said "so your response to an uncertain market is to take all the risk and put it in the hands of the party least able to mitigate against it". I though that summed things up pretty well. An employee is always going to share some of the risk with their employer - if the company sinks the employee loses his job - but to put all of it on the employee does seem unfair.

Three smokers were fired today. One for not swiping out for numerous his smoke breaks last week, and the other two for taking more smokes breaks than allowed, 6 to 7 a day, not counting their lunch break.

We're not gonna miss them, not that I have anything against smokers. They were just the laziest bunch you could ever work with.

Oh, FunkyDexter. I live in Germany. These rules have been put in place by the company. Right now from what I've heard, a new rule might be added. A schedule for 2 smokers a day to clean their smoke area everyday. Hopefully it goes into effect, because it's a Pigsty! Instead of using their ash can, their nasty cigarettes are all over the place.
    Last edited by Peter Porter; Apr 20th, 2015 at 04:45 PM.

I live in Germany
    Really?! I would have though there would be some EU legislation against some of the policies you quoted.

It does sound like the ones they let go actually did deserve it. Not clocking out's a pretty clear breach and 6 to 7 breaks a day would represent some pretty serious lost productivity so it sounds like the company is at least applying the rules sensibly ... so far at least.

Yes, this bunch deserved it, but I don't think our company would follow through with firing smokers if their packs are in plain view or their breath stinks. The rules have been in place for about a week and a day.

And if you don't use a deodorant and sweat much? Or did eat alot lot of beans the day before? Or Facebooking in company time?
    As Homer said before. Years ago as moker you was a normal human, now......

Quote Originally Posted by namrekka View Post
    And if you don't use a deodorant and sweat much? Or did eat alot lot of beans the day before? Or Facebooking in company time?
    As Homer said before. Years ago as moker you was a normal human, now......
    That was before there was proof second hand smoke was a health hazard. The tobacco industry was also still able to get away with the phony science they funded. People got fed up with funding dying smokers, etc. etc.

That was before there was proof second hand smoke was a health hazard.
    I'm all for smoking being banned from the workplace. I have no desire to have someone's cancerous fumes inflicted on me. But when I see rules like this:-
    After smoking they must wash their hands and suck on a breath mint, or brush their teeth
    ...I do wonder if things have gone too far. As Namrekka implied, that's equivalent to sacking someone because they've got BO. Now don't get me wrong, I think maintaining personal hygiene is a common courtesy to ones colleagues but I'm not sure failing to do so should be a disciplinary offense.

I'm all for smoking being banned from the workplace. I have no desire to have someone's cancerous fumes inflicted on me. But when I see rules like this:-
    ...I do wonder if things have gone too far. As Namrekka implied, that's equivalent to sacking someone because they've got BO. Now don't get me wrong, I think maintaining personal hygiene is a common courtesy to ones colleagues but I'm not sure failing to do so should be a disciplinary offense.
    Agreed it is harsh but at least they are letting them smoke. Along those lines there are men and women I work with that wear colognes and perfumes that make me want to gag. Is that next?

type Woss is new Grumpy; wossname's Avatar

I'm sure smokers make some contribution to society.

Can we fuel our power plants with coughing and littering?
    I don't live here any more.

Ok... The rule they been kicking around above is official. Starting tomorrow a schedule wil be posted for two smokers a day to clean up their break area. Maybe some here will think it's extreme, but if you could see where they gather to puff, you wouldn't think so.

Maybe with all this in place, some of our smokers will try to kick their habit. If not, well at least they're getting a good workout, walking 1 minute and 25 seconds of their 5 minute break to their smoke area, and cleaning it up! Woo-hoo!

Fanatic Member

In Denmark there are laws set in place that prohibit smoking in public areas like workplaces, school places, and other government and public facilities. You're not even allowed to smoke at train station platforms. Basically, workplaces here are forced to have some kind of smoking policy, that prevents workers to smoke inside or on the workplace property. During school breaks, you will see a lot of students smoking outside the school property, by public roads and so on, because they will be fined if they are found smoking on the school property...

I'm totally fine with smoking bans that prevent non-smokers being forced to inhale the cancerous fumes, as FunkyDexter put it... I'm not a smoker myself, but I think people should choose if they smoke or not, as long as it doesn't cause harm to others. I think smokers have a positive effect on the economy, and I guess we could thank them for the tax payments they provide.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...g_bans#Denmark
    http://www.visitcopenhagen.com/copenhagen/smoking (the last paragraph does not always apply)
    http://www.no-smoke.org/goingsmokefree.php?id=635
    Last edited by Justa Lol; Apr 26th, 2015 at 11:35 AM.

Karen Payne MVP kareninstructor's Avatar

Sounds very extreme to me, smoker in my company are not limited on breaks nor lunch but must smoke in one of two designated areas.

smoker in my company are not limited on breaks nor lunch but must smoke in one of two designated areas.
    That sounds about the right balance to me.

I picked up the smoking habit in basic training. The military would give smokers smoke breaks. Non-smokers didn't get breaks. I stood around with a lit cigarette to get a break. Started inhaling... Twenty five years later I quit and it wasn't easy.

Now I am that guy that hates to see others smoke. Especially those in poor health.

Still they keep at it.
    Burn the land and boil the sea
    You can't take the sky from me

~T

When are they gonna ban fat people? taking up all the room and food. And that annoying breathing. Four point seven million people died from obesity, last year alone! It's time the government stepped in and took this seriously. Food should be doled out in inverse proportion to your weight. Maybe there will be some donuts left in the break room; by the time I'm back from my smoke break, they are all gone, or the 'plain' ones are the only ones left.
    "Ok, my response to that is pending a Google search" - Bucky Katt.
    "There are two types of people in the world: Those who can extrapolate from incomplete data sets." - Unk.
    "Before you can 'think outside the box' you need to understand where the box is."

Quote Originally Posted by SJWhiteley View Post
    When are they gonna ban fat people? taking up all the room and food. And that annoying breathing. Four point seven million people died from obesity, last year alone! It's time the government stepped in and took this seriously. Food should be doled out in inverse proportion to your weight. Maybe there will be some donuts left in the break room; by the time I'm back from my smoke break, they are all gone, or the 'plain' ones are the only ones left.
    Other than "taking up all the room, air, and food", unlike smokers, they are not hurting the people around them (unless you get yours fingers near them when they're eating). Smokers risk the lives and harm the health of the people they smoke around.

I can relate to smokers. I inhaled pipes, cigars, and up to three packs a day.
    Those who don't smoke don't get the subtle hold it has on you.

As my doctor explained to me it's a vicious circle. Smoking fills your system with pollutants that cause
    your lungs and bronchial tubes to constrict. Making you feel like you can't breathe.
    This is especially pronounced when you are stressed. The first few hits from a cigarette contains chemicals that ease your breathing for a short while. Then the cycle starts all over again.

Like anyone hooked on something we tend to justify why we have to smoke.

The worst excuses are the self destructive ones.
    "Everything will kill you so this is okay." or "I only smoke one pack a day not three so this is okay."

I am not militant about it, but I believe in giving a hand to those who want to quit.

There is a lot you can do on a personal level to help someone who wants to kick the habit starting with being supportive.

~T

they are not hurting the people around them
    They do if they tread on your foot.

It's time the government stepped in and took this seriously
    You joke (I think) but in the UK our diet has never been healthier (at least in the last hundred years or so) than when it was Government controlled under rationing following WW2. If levels of obesity and the resultant burden on the health service continue to rise at the rate they are then some sort of government intervention might start to become a main stream idea. I doubt we'd see anything like rationing reintroduced but taxation targeted at unhealthy foods might well start to appear. It has already in some countries.

I helped a friend quit, but with my friends who continue, like you said, Gruff, they always back their addiction with destructive excuses.

Well, the cleaning up the break area rule didn't fly, and our firm got fined by the local authority last Thursday for these smoker's pigsty. Also sucks that our grounds keeper had to clean it up!
    Last edited by Peter Porter; Apr 27th, 2015 at 01:07 PM.

Where I work there is a no smoking indoors rule. The neighbor's property is ten feet away so most smokers stand there and smoke.

Cigarettes are not the only issue we deal with. There is a lot of chewing among our shop workers.
    They also chew sunflower seeds. There was a ban on them for a while as some users spit shells on the shop floor. (Especially bad when customers visit.) It almost looks like they are marking their territory.

~T

I want to know, as a non-smoker. Do I also get three 5 minute breaks a day and the opportunity to scoff my lunch in 15mins?
    PHP || MySql || Apache || Get Firefox || OpenOffice.org || Click || Slap ILMV || 1337 c0d || GotoMyPc For FREE! Part 1, Part 2

| PHP Session --> Database Handler * Custom Error Handler * Installing PHP * HTML Form Handler * PHP 5 OOP * Using XML * Ajax * Xslt | VB6 Winsock - HTTP POST / GET * Winsock - HTTP File Upload

Latest quote: crptcblade - VB6 executables can't be decompiled, only disassembled. And the disassembled code is even less useful than I am.

Random VisualAd: Blog - Latest Post: When the Internet becomes Electricity!!

Spread happiness and joy. Rate good posts.

FD, yes, I was joking.

I'm totally against government regulation; with food, it just won't work. As you note, FD, the UK has some of the healthiest food. The US has some of the, technically (for a first-world country), worst but it tastes fan-bloody-tastic - can you say Outback's Bloomin' Onion?. Both sides of the pond are obese.

It isn't the 'healthiness' of food that's the problem. My wife is wanting to loose a bit of weight. She's been successful with moderate exercise and moderate reduction in calories, but the real key has been the proportion of fat, protein and carbohydrates (as well as a lowering of salt).

So, the reality will be is that you will never reduce the overall unhealthiness of a population unless:
    * You change every available food to have the correct balance of nutrition;
    * You prevent people from buying more than they need to consume;

Smoking is bad, and it does have a near-field effect on the health of others. I do find it ironic that we are decriminalizing The Wacky Tobaccy, yet so many want to criminalize tobacco...but thats a whole 'nother argument, i guess.
    "Ok, my response to that is pending a Google search" - Bucky Katt.
    "There are two types of people in the world: Those who can extrapolate from incomplete data sets." - Unk.
    "Before you can 'think outside the box' you need to understand where the box is."

some sort of government intervention might start to become a main stream idea.
    Ye gods! I can see it now.

Rich naturally good looking thin people win again without even trying.

~T

the UK has some of the healthiest food
    Not at the moment it's not. You guys have shipped all your bad habits over here (or we've imported them, depending on who you want to blame ) and we've got an obesity epidemic on our hands. We're a few years behind you but accelerating rapidly.

The point was that our diet was healthy in the 50s because of government control. Since rationing stopped it's been all downhill (which is handy because we're too unfit to go uphill these days).

The point was that our diet was healthy in the 50s because of government control.
    And before that it was healthy without any government control.

Purely anecdotal, but I'll just throw this out there:

Both my great-grandfather and grandfather ate basically the same diet: Bacon & eggs for breakfast, meat & potatoes for dinner. And usually something high in fat for lunch. My great-grandfather lived well into his 90s, while my grandfather died in his early 60s. The difference?

My grandfather worked most of his life in an office sitting at a desk and being overweight. His father was a farmer and actually worked for a living and was never overweight despite their nearly identical diet.

Diet is not the only cause of obesity. Modern life allows most of us the luxury of sitting on our collective asses in front of the TV and growing soft and rotund.
    "Bones heal. Chicks dig scars. Pain is temporary. Glory is forever." - Robert Craig "Evel" Knievel
    “Leave me alone, I know what I’m doing.” - Kimi Raikkonen

Very interesting podcast on the BBC about the obesity subject.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b05r3tcb

The food industry know that salt and sugar are addictive, which is why they load everything up with it. I wonder when they will finally realise that dead people don't eat, so killing them is not the most effective business strategy.
    PHP || MySql || Apache || Get Firefox || OpenOffice.org || Click || Slap ILMV || 1337 c0d || GotoMyPc For FREE! Part 1, Part 2

| PHP Session --> Database Handler * Custom Error Handler * Installing PHP * HTML Form Handler * PHP 5 OOP * Using XML * Ajax * Xslt | VB6 Winsock - HTTP POST / GET * Winsock - HTTP File Upload

Latest quote: crptcblade - VB6 executables can't be decompiled, only disassembled. And the disassembled code is even less useful than I am.

I cant understand that podcast. I don't speak British
    My usual boring signature: Something

Watch it with a stiff

upper lip

Are you back forever
    My usual boring signature: Something

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast